Ceramic Tile Advice Forums - John Bridge Ceramic Tile

Welcome to John Bridge / Tile Your World, the friendliest DIY Forum on the Internet

Advertiser Directory
JohnBridge.com Home
Buy John Bridge's Books

Go Back   Ceramic Tile Advice Forums - John Bridge Ceramic Tile > Tile & Stone Forums > Tile Forum/Advice Board

Sponsors

Old 02-02-2018, 09:49 PM   #31
Canaris

Thanks for telling me I am about to flip a coin between redguard and kerdi..

You would need a polymer modified thinset...
Old 02-03-2018, 03:11 PM   #32
Lazarus
Texas Tile Contractor

Kerdi and Redguard are two totally different systems. For what it's worth, I would us a 1/4x3/8 trowel.

"Women and cats will do as they please, and men and dogs should relax and get used to the idea."
Lazarus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2018, 05:31 PM   #33
GoRoos

Jay's Guest Bathroom Remodel

I've been asking questions in other threads, but, as I've read, I think I've learned that the etiquette here is a single thread per project....so I'm starting this one now... I've also learned how much everyone here loves pictures, so, here comes the update...

(Thanks for all the advice so far!)

The bathroom is a 5' wide, ~10` long guest/children's bath in an early 1990's home that's never been previously remodeled. The far end of the bathtub is a 5' alcove tub with tile surround. Here's a "before" picture:

Name:  IMG_20171211_202952.jpg
Views: 167
Size:  34.7 KB

After removing the tile from the far walls, it looked like this (note the greenboard, which was apparently code in the early 1990's):

Name:  IMG_20171219_220821.jpg
Views: 169
Size:  45.1 KB

After a bit more demo (note the super-sexy seashell sinks that were apparently still popular in the 1990's):

Name:  IMG_20171221_194725.jpg
Views: 169
Size:  58.8 KB

We found some awesome seafoam green and hot-pink wallpaper (also note the horrible texture job - complete with flat stripes around all the fixtures!):

Name:  IMG_20171216_213719.jpg
Views: 170
Size:  71.0 KB

And, when we removed the toilet, we found every color the room has ever been painted (so apparently the toilet has not been removed since the 1990's):

Name:  IMG_20171217_175945.jpg
Views: 167
Size:  95.8 KB

I hung hardibacker (after skim coating all the drywall, and adding a new shower light, and paying a plumber to wrestle in a new tub and drain):

Name:  IMG_20180113_154235.jpg
Views: 165
Size:  33.8 KB

I removed, resurfaced, and repainted the vanity, and installed a quartz countertop with undermount sinks:

Name:  IMG_20180127_151942.jpg
Views: 164
Size:  22.1 KB

Just before the vanity was re-installed, I had a little incident where a water valve gave up the ghost and sprayed hot water all over the cement board. The humidity caused the studs to move a bit, and the hardibacker went out of flush. Folks here helped me figure that out:

http://www.johnbridge.com/vbulletin/...d.php?t=124485

Then I realized I probably had too much of a gap between the hardibacker and the tub. Folks here gave recommendations (I'll come back to this in a minute):

http://www.johnbridge.com/vbulletin/...d.php?t=124561

Then I primed the hardibacker with 4:1 water:redgard.

Name:  IMG_20180202_222206.jpg
Views: 166
Size:  40.0 KB

Which brings me to my current question. I'm now attaching redgard seam tape to the bottom of the hardibacker (prior to the full-coat redgard of the entire thing). I burned in some thinset, then applied more thinset with a 1/4x1/4x1/4 notch at about a 45 degree angle, then troweled the seam tape on top of that and thinset a bit over the seam. You can see in the bottom corner of the next image that it doesn't look like the seam tape adhered well (at least not in that corner).

I _think_ I'm going to give it a day to let the thinset cure, then see if the tape peals away too easily. (I'm afraid of laying tile on top of that at the very end of the project, and discovering that the seam tape isn't well bonded to the hardibacker, and the whole bottom row peels off). If it does peel away easily, the question becomes "What next?" Do I try to get more thinset into the corner (if only it peels away)? Do I rip it all out and try something else?

Name:  IMG_20180203_172446.jpg
Views: 164
Size:  30.8 KB

Thoughts?
Old 02-03-2018, 05:51 PM   #34
rmckee84

Usually you want to have your thinset a bit on the loose side when applying stuff like that seam tape. Then where it touches the tub use something like sikaflex or kerdi fix to seal to the tub. Its hard to see exactly what the issue may be with the tape. Air pockets are bad, lumps are bad, and you definitely don't want it loose anywhere. If you find a spot didnt stick, cut it off and put a new piece on.
rmckee84 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2018, 06:46 PM   #35
GoRoos

Finally started really tiling today! Slow moving, but learning a lot!

Name:  15183099185565096591404505501099.jpg
Views: 141
Size:  50.1 KB
Old 02-17-2018, 06:22 PM   #36
GoRoos

Will post a progress picture tomorrow, but I'm making good progress on the shower surround and starting to make plans for the floor.

I'll be flooring with a 2" carrara marble hex mosaic (see here https://www.tileshop.com/product/ham...ks&from=Search) It's mostly white and gray marble.

It will be going over a concrete floor (first floor of the home, built in 1994).

Questions:

1. Do you recommend a ditra underlayment even with small-ish mosaic tiles?
2. If yes, I think I'm supposed to use an unmodified thinset on both sides of the ditra. I'm having a hard time finding white, unmodified thinset locally (I'm in the north Dallas area). Any recommendations?
3. If I can't find the white unmodified, am I better off using gray unmodified or white modified on top of the ditra?
Old 02-17-2018, 08:01 PM   #37
Davy
Moderator -- Mud Man

Jay, I wouldn't use Ditra under your mosaics. If you have cracks in your slab, use Redgard or other paint on membrane. Ditra tends to be slightly wavy after it's installed and your mosaics will follow those waves. If you have no slab cracks, tile right to the slab.

I'd use white modified thinset. Never gray with white marble.

www.davystephenstile.com
Davy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2018, 12:26 PM   #38
GoRoos

Thanks for the guidance, Davy!

Princeton, Texas, huh. I grew up in Bonham - we were in the same football district back in those days....I've made many trips to Princeton and Lake Lavon.
Old 02-18-2018, 02:07 PM   #39
Davy
Moderator -- Mud Man

I've been to Bonham many times, usually to buy a new truck. Nice country up there.

www.davystephenstile.com
Old 02-19-2018, 08:15 PM   #40
GoRoos

I'm getting close to finished with the shower walls - exciting!

My next quandry is how to finish up.

Here's a picture of my current status from afar:

Name:  0.jpg
Views: 91
Size:  50.3 KB

If I measure from the top of the top currently-laid tile on the back and right, I get measurements from 12 5/8" (far right) to 13 1/4" (left side of back wall). So, the ceiling isn't exactly level (no surprise).

The tiles are 3 7/8" and I'm using 1/8" spacers (for a nice, even 4" per course).

If I just keep going, I'm going to end up with spaces varying from 5/8" and 1 1/4" after I hang the last full-height row.

Take out the 1/4" that I need for a grout line below the final (tiny) course and the caulk above, and I'm at 3/8" to 1".

This seems far too narrow to work well (for a whole host of reasons).

What are my options here?

Here are things I have thought about:

1. Add a trim row at the top. Use something like this that's not 4" tall (this one is 2", there's a similar 3"). If I use a 2" trim piece, it gets me to a partial row of 2 3/8" to 3". I'm afraid that this option will highlight the un-evenness of the ceiling - but maybe I could "hide" it by filling the space between the top of the trim and the ceiling with joint compound and/or caulk?

2. Cut a standard tile to smaller than 3 7/8" (cutting maybe an inch or two off) the next-to-the-top row to give me a larger final row. This also seems like it will highlight the problem.

3. Use a PVC crown trim piece that has a bottom depth a tad wider than the tile + thinset.

4. Attempt to screed the ceiling down and closer-to-level. (I'm not a master drywaller, and this seems like an advanced maneuver).

Are there options I'm missing or standard practices here?
Old 02-20-2018, 08:35 AM   #41
RichVT
Vermont Remodeling Contractor

I would vote for screeding the ceiling.
Old 02-20-2018, 09:04 AM   #42
GoRoos

If I do that, I'm still going to have a very thin (~3/8", assuming I'm able to screed perfectly level at the current lowpoint).

How would you deal with this really "short/skinny" row? Just lay a very skinny row?
Old 02-20-2018, 10:23 AM   #43
rmckee84

Your situations shows the importance of layout planning. Either go with the small cut or the pvc crown. Another idea would be level out the ceiling and find a pencil or listello that would fit.
rmckee84 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2018, 11:34 AM   #44
Davy
Moderator -- Mud Man

Yep, what Ryan said. It's best to check for this when you are 8-10 rows lower than you are now. You could have increased the joint size by 1/32 and no one would have ever noticed.

Another option would be to tile the ceiling.

www.davystephenstile.com
Old 02-20-2018, 12:08 PM   #45
GoRoos

Yep. Lesson learned on the layout planning. I had that sinking feeling in the pit of my stomach when I looked up and realized how close I was to the top and didn't have a plan....but at that point, 8 rows of tile had been curing for about 30 hours. To make it even more frustrating, I had picked up a set of wedge spacers the day before hanging those 8 rows, just for this.

Yet another one on the long list of reasons you all are pros and I'm not

Stonetooling.com   Tile-Assn.com   National Gypsum Permabase