Ceramic Tile Advice Forums - John Bridge Ceramic Tile

Welcome to John Bridge / Tile Your World, the friendliest DIY Forum on the Internet

Advertiser Directory
JohnBridge.com Home
Buy John Bridge's Books

Go Back   Ceramic Tile Advice Forums - John Bridge Ceramic Tile > Tile & Stone Forums > Tile Forum/Advice Board

Sponsors

Old 02-05-2018, 03:58 AM   #16
smifwal

Hey Ann sorry took me so long to get back on here we had a bit of a snow storm. So the Windex is for the day after depending on the kind of finish on the tile and the color with determine if you see the "film" that is the haze. Some tile you don't see a thing others you get "picture framing" so you will only see it right at the edge of the grout lines. With a shiny slick tile your tile will look cloudy if that makes since kinda like your shower door when get a soapy film. The razor blade can be used by it self without the Windex and sometimes it is faster to just use the blade. Also if there is any "grit" behind you can use a dry green scotch bright scratch pad rub it over and the grit will turn green and you just scrape it off. Again this all depending on your tile so test the scratch pad on a scrap piece before scratching the hell out of your new floor and then being mad at me for giving you terrible advise same thing goes for the razor blade. You can also use a wet green scratch pad for the thinset removal. As for your initial question I sometimes depending on the tile use a metal putty knife or my square margin trowel to remove dried thinset from the face of tile but you have to be real kid gloves about it. I use green scratch pads almost every time I set tile but occasionally I get one that is just to delicate to use them on.
Old 02-05-2018, 06:10 PM   #17
jadnashua
Veteran DIYer- Schluterville Graduate

STAR Senior Contributor

As thinset (well, any cement based product), it gets harder and harder to remove the longer it sits...if there's anything on there now, it is likely to be well stuck.

Depending on the tile, using a metal tool on it can cause some marks as it literally scrubs off some metal and streaks the tile. That will generally come of with something like Barkeeper's Friend cleaner. As with any of these things, test it in an inconspicuous are first.
Not a pro, multiple Schluter Workshops (Schluterville and 2013 and 2014 at Schluter Headquarters), Mapei Training 2014, Laticrete Workshop 2014, Custom Building Products Workshop 2015, and Longtime Forum Participant.
jadnashua is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2018, 02:56 PM   #18
AnnLM142

Lots of medical appts with travel involved this week, so I'm just now checking back. Thank you, Shawn and Jim, for your added comments.

I was only there briefly on Monday and Tuesday, one day to just to look at grouting in a closet (done first) before an appointment, one day to drop off a check (could not enter beyond foyer). I haven't gotten a really good look at the cleaning or grouting. I plan to do that this weekend... hoping for a sunny day. The floor is likely covered now with luan and dropcloths (a compromise), but I hope to be able to see "enough" to assess.

Given what you say about metal tools on very hardened thinset, I dearly hope the tile doesn't have scratches or metal leavings. I'm glad to hear that a green Scotch Bright pad or Barkeepers Friend could help.

Thanks also, Shawn, for the details on removing haze and grit. I appreciate your explanations and instructions. Among other things, I was wondering if I'd recognize haze, so the soap scum comparison is helpful as well as the other information.

If there are any issues, I guess it will eventually be on me to deal with them. I'd be sure to test first, as you both recommend.

I'll let you know what I find. Hope I come away with a smile!

Stonetooling.com   Tile-Assn.com   National Gypsum Permabase