Ceramic Tile Advice Forums - John Bridge Ceramic Tile

Welcome to John Bridge / Tile Your World, the friendliest DIY Forum on the Internet

Advertiser Directory
JohnBridge.com Home
Buy John Bridge's Books

Go Back   Ceramic Tile Advice Forums - John Bridge Ceramic Tile > Tile & Stone Forums > Tile Forum/Advice Board

Sponsors

Old 01-30-2018, 02:23 PM   #1
Mbro

Matt's 5x9 downstairs shower

Hi,

Starting on overhaul of 5x9 ft. downstairs bath. Home is in San Diego, circa 1986. Plan to use 32x60 inch Schluter-Kerdi shower pan/drain and kerdi board for walls with insulation showing. I have a couple of questions:

1) for the hole where shower drain is located I'm going to need to fill that with something to support the prefab shower pan. I don't see filling that back in with concrete since so what's best material?

2) I plan to have 1/2 glass from curb up to some height. Will the clips for the glass penetrate any tile I install on curb? I'm worried that membrane on curb will get penetrated. I plan to contact glass installer who did my upstairs bath but was just wondering if that's a valid concern.

Thanks in advance,

Matt
Attached Images

Old 01-31-2018, 10:52 AM   #2
John Bridge
Mudmeister

Send a message via AIM to John Bridge
Hi Matt, Welcome aboard.

Fill the hole with http://www.johnbridge.com/how-to/deck-mud/

The glass enclosure will mount on the side walls and rest on the curb. Don't let anyone penetrate the curb. Make sure you have solid wood backing at the side walls.
John Bridge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2018, 11:06 AM   #3
t2jeff

I'm a DIY'er.
Here is how I have my glass on top of my Kerdi curb. As mentioned, add blocking for the clips on the sides, and let the glass sit on the curb. I also had my glass guy put silicone into the holes for the clips before he shot the screws in.

Also, 1/2" glass is super heavy, I used 3/8" and looks great.
Attached Images

Old 01-31-2018, 02:37 PM   #4
Mbro

tjeff2 your results are beautiful. Nice job. That's very much like what we're trying to accomplish. Nice photo too.

John, The hole is roughly 10 1/2 in. deep by 1 ft x 1 ft. I'm planning on putting an 4 inch wide x 4 inch deep spacer around the 2 in. ABS drain pipe to provide some space for the Kerdi drain. If I mix up your recipe and fill the hole completely how long should I let it cure before I can install the Kerdi prefab shower pan? Thank you
Old 01-31-2018, 05:34 PM   #5
t2jeff

Mbro, thanks for the nice words.

I also made sure the holes for the clips were evenly spaced from the top and bottom (and the clip holes fell into the grout lines) by cutting the vertical height of the glass to end at a grout line (in my case, 2 rows down from the top and 2 rows up from the bottom).
Good luck!
Old 02-01-2018, 11:14 AM   #6
Mbro

Good info on the clips. Curious, I plan to use Kerdi board vs. cement backer in my shower area along with Kerdi curb and prefab Kerdi pan. Besides the curb did you use any other of their products? If so, did you purchase at big box store or online? I see the price varies wildly. Also any issues, or any thoughts on the Kerdi system in general? Thanks.
Old 02-01-2018, 12:03 PM   #7
t2jeff

I used all the kerdi products on my shower. Kerdi board, foam tray, and I made my own curb from the kerdi baord scraps so I could customize the dimensions. Also made a custom kerdi board niche (lots of info on this site about this). Super easy.

I ordered both online and from local sources. Overall, as a DIY'er, I had a great experience with Schluter stuff. I used the Schluter system for a tub surround and a shower. Both projects turned out well. I have nothing to compare it too, but would use their stuff again if I had another bath to remodel.

Here is my shower thread, super long, but you could probably scroll through and check out the pics...shows the entire project from start to finish and the 1000 questions I asked the pro's here.....

http://www.johnbridge.com/vbulletin/...d.php?t=121354
Old 02-01-2018, 01:42 PM   #8
Mbro

Good tip on using the scraps for the curb and waiting to put in tray until the end. Hadn't even thought of that. I was going to buy the Kerdi shower kit but using Kerdi board I may just purchase the components individually. Still planning things out at this stage. Thanks for the link. Big help.
Old 02-23-2018, 04:05 PM   #9
Mbro

Filling in box out hole

John,

In a reply to my post (Matt's 5x9 project) you advised to fill my box out, about 1 cubic square foot hole, with dry mortar.

"Fill the hole with http://www.johnbridge.com/how-to/deck-mud/"

After some reading I'm curious. Do I put some sort of fill and then the last 2 inch or so with deck mud or fill the entire whole with deck mud? Been reading that deck mud never thicker than 2 inches. Can you please clarify? Also, after that hole is filled I have floor that's slightly, < 1/8 inch, unlevel. What is best way to level it out. I'm thinking some kind of concrete floor leveler over thinset for bonding.

Thanks in advance,

Matt
Old 02-23-2018, 10:18 PM   #10
Davy
Moderator -- Mud Man

You can fill the bottom with dirt or sand then the dry pack for the top 4-5 inches. The 2 inch maximum is for mudding a floor although we have mudded floors much thicker without problems.

Concrete filler/leveler will work on the slab.

www.davystephenstile.com
Davy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2018, 10:54 PM   #11
jadnashua
Veteran DIYer- Schluterville Graduate

STAR Senior Contributor

Sounds like you're planning on the Kerdi drain...if that's the case, you want to set the drain at the desired height and then support the thing when you pack the deckmud underneath. Exactly how you'd do that would differ if you're using the foam tray verses making your slope with deckmud.

Make sure that your riser is perfectly plumb before and after you pack anything around it! The large diameter of the drain will amplify any error - you want it to sit flat.
Not a pro, multiple Schluter Workshops (Schluterville and 2013 and 2014 at Schluter Headquarters), Mapei Training 2014, Laticrete Workshop 2014, Custom Building Products Workshop 2015, and Longtime Forum Participant.
jadnashua is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2018, 10:42 AM   #12
John Bridge
Mudmeister

Send a message via AIM to John Bridge
Fill the hole leaving a space for the drain. I usually make a block out from stiff cardboard. Pack the mud and screed it off even with the concrete floor. Once that's done you can set the drain and foam floor. You can separate the foam disc from the foam floor and set it separately. Dry fit everything before you get to the glue stage.
John Bridge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2018, 04:19 PM   #13
Mbro

Thanks for all the replies. Yes, I have Kerdi drain and their shower pan so only looking to fill in the hole. So, fill most of hole with packed sand or dirt then last few inches with the mud. How long does the mud need to dry before I can apply concrete leveler?
Old 02-24-2018, 06:05 PM   #14
Kman

If it's not too thick, 24 hours should be fine. But check with the manufacturer of the SLC to be safe.

The top ten reasons to procrastinate:

Kman is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2018, 02:15 PM   #15
Mbro

Thanks Kman.

Stonetooling.com   Tile-Assn.com   National Gypsum Permabase