Ceramic Tile Advice Forums - John Bridge Ceramic Tile

Welcome to John Bridge / Tile Your World, the friendliest DIY Forum on the Internet

Advertiser Directory
JohnBridge.com Home
Buy John Bridge's Books

Go Back   Ceramic Tile Advice Forums - John Bridge Ceramic Tile > Tile & Stone Forums > Professionals' Hangout

Sponsors

Old 01-06-2018, 01:58 PM   #1
lakewood

Referral needed in Little Rock, Arkansas area

I am looking for a referral for a tile craftsman in the Little Rock, North Little Rock Arkansas area.

This is for a residential shower pan replacement - it's leaking again, sigh.
Likely will require a full mud installation. Any suggestions will be appreciated.

Have had it torn out and replaced thee times in the last 20 year, the last time 6 years ago... hoping to find someone to finally "do it right" and this fine forum I just found, seems to understand what a proper install is.
Old 01-09-2018, 03:38 PM   #2
lakewood

Seems no one knowns anyone in central arkansas - so let me ask you this..

When I find a guy to bid on the job, can you tell me what questions you would ask him to help sort the "good from the bad" ?

Called a local tile store & they had a couple of guys, I talked to one and ask him if he ever install a Schluter Kerdi System and he said he had never heard if it. Would that be enough to not even ask him to bid on the project?

Thanks much !
Glenn
Old 01-09-2018, 05:49 PM   #3
Kman

I would think if he had been at it for a while, he would have at least heard of Kerdi, even if he hadn't installed it before. If you're wanting to have a Kerdi shower, that answer would obviously disqualify him.

Did he mention what kind of waterproofing he does?

The top ten reasons to procrastinate:

Kman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2018, 07:46 PM   #4
Houston Remodeler
Pondering retirement daily

STAR Senior Contributor

Little Rock?

Our new RV should be ready by the end of January. Once we finish our February job ...

I could be tempted ..

I'll as the tile FB group for a recommendation.

Holmes Tile & Marble Co.
Tave Baker
tbaker@holmestile.com

For when DIY isn't such a good idea...
Houston TX area Kitchen & Bath Remodeling

http://CabotAndRowe.com

Last edited by Houston Remodeler; 01-09-2018 at 08:14 PM.
Houston Remodeler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2018, 03:31 PM   #5
lakewood

Thanks - still trying to find a tile guy - after more reading on this great forum...

decided to do a complete re-do of the shower, tear out to the studs... around 90 to 100 sq feet tile (I think... 8' ceiling) 32"' x 52" want it waterproofed using a kerdi shower kit (1st choice) ... by a tile guy that has used this system before several times... or a Wedi system (unless you pros would advise against Wedi) add $700 more Wedi

Is this thinking close to sound and what I might can hope to find?

$500 kerdi kit
$800 for tile & grout
$1,280 labor for work & tear out ? $80 an hour, for a two day 8 hour a day job

total job somewhere around $2,500 ?

Any thoughts or suggestions - appreciated !

Last edited by lakewood; 01-11-2018 at 03:39 PM.
lakewood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2018, 11:56 PM   #6
Tool Guy - Kg
Moderator -- Wisconsin Kitchen & Bath Remodeler

Hi, Glenn.

Prices and time estimates are almost always something that folks don't want to talk about because no matter what you say, there are variables that make a price or time estimate look ridiculously high or ridiculously low. There is no magic formula for prices on a shower. Having a few different contractors look at your specific job using an apples to apples comparison for your local area is almost the only real data you can get that is going to be meaningful to you.

I could talk about $3,000 showers I've done and $14,000 showers I've done. But my timeline isn't the next guy's timeline. And my cost per hour isn't the same, either.

I'm not trying to give you an empty response. But the fact of the matter is you need to have someone put their eyes on your job and bid it per their business model.

I will say this, though...your timeline of 16 hours is probably far short of what's needed. Maybe it's super simple and you've got no prep work. But chances are there are a number of tasks to be performed that will add substantially to your timeline.

Old 01-12-2018, 07:46 AM   #7
tilemanct
Tile & Stone

I think your post # 5 will be the reason no tile pro will bid on your job. Your timeline is way off and material costs are too. A custom tile shower is a costly investment when done correctly. Could be in your area there are no tile pros and you might have to consider a acrylic shower module instead.

CTEF Certified Installer
I lost my hero on 5-21-16 You will be missed. Semper Fi
tilemanct is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2018, 03:43 PM   #8
lakewood

Thanks for the replies... I will keep searching

I saw another post... from pro on here... with lots of post... he saids...
the below... I was guessing my numbers off of this post... and from
a Kerdi (youtube install video from Schluter, seems like a one day install, using the The KERDI-SHOWER-KIT is an all-inclusive package containing each of the integrated family of components required to create a watertight shower assembly without a mortar bed

There are so many variables that it's impossible to tell you how to price something. I can tell you this, I live in Tempe, AZ. If I walked into a house and saw a 3x5 shower stall that I was pulling everything out of, down to the studs, and rebuilding, including a new pan; I would charge something like this:

Approx 120 sqft.
$250 Demo and Hauling
$350 Sheet walls with Durock
$100 Waterproof membrane under pan and approx 10" up wall
$300 Set 4" curb and pour sandmix bed with new strainer
$1200 Tile and Labor (allows $3-4/ft budget for tile)

So, total project $2200. But that's just me right here right now. I can't guess about the economy of OK.

But point well taken... Little Rock area 350,000 people, bound to be some schliter kerdi installers somewhere , I did find a Tile store that had some Wedi tile guys, may have to go Wedi

Tool Guy - your post makes since ! I just got to find some tile guys get two or 3 quotes, I manage an IT (Information Technologies) department and could pay cash for a $20,000 shower... I am just trying to get a fair deal - 80-$100 an hour, seems fair) , I did have a contractor say he do the whole bathroom for $7,000 - but he said he was "old school" and his guys didn't use kerdi.

Last edited by lakewood; 01-12-2018 at 03:51 PM.
Old 01-14-2018, 11:14 AM   #9
tilemanct
Tile & Stone

Glenn
I'm confused. You say you are looking for an installer in Arkansas, but your last post says you live in Arizona. The shower in question has been replaced a few times.
You also said in your last post "you would charge".... So I'm taking it that you are a contractor and not a homeowner?
Your numbers posted look to be initial costs. Do they include overhead and profit?
When I go out for a steak dinner the cost of that steak on the menu is $30-$45 depending on what steak I choose. That's just the steak. I can buy that same steak at the wholesale meat store for $17 to $28 depending on cut. Doesn't mean the restaurant is going to charge me that, nor would I expect them to. They have to make a profit to stay in business.
Same goes with any tradesman. You cant add up materials and time and think that is what a project is going to cost. Most pros have these funny things called expenses. Licensing, insurance, taxes, tool costs, truck costs, building rent, and employees.
After doing this for over 20+ years, I can honestly say there is no way I could (or any other pro) do a 3 x 5 shower tear out and re-install for $2200. That is a recipe for "Living in a Van Down by The River"!!!

CTEF Certified Installer
I lost my hero on 5-21-16 You will be missed. Semper Fi
tilemanct is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2018, 01:36 PM   #10
lakewood

Okay... starting over here...

trying to find an experienced tile guy who will work for $100 an hour labor that has experience installing a kerdi shower kit or a wedi one.

tear out a 3 x 5' shower, put in a kerdi shower kit or wedi one and tile it, hoping that can be accomplished in three days for $2,400 labor.

Does three (eight hour) days seem reasonable for a job like this?

I will supply all the materials, porcelain tile, kerdi shower kit, durock, thinset, grout, Little Rock

Does that help? Shower actually 32" wide x 54" long, 8 foot ceiling

Kerdi shower kit:
Included is 32 X 60 CENTER Drain Kits: 1- Shower Tray (32 X 60 Center Drain) 2- 48" X 6" X 4.5" Shower Curb 1- 108 sq ft roll Kerdi Membrane. 1- 5" X 33' roll Kerdi Band 1- Drain 4" square grate 2" outlet (includes 4 inside corners, 2 outside corners, 1- 3/4" pipe seal, and 1- 4.5" mixing valve seal.

]

Last edited by lakewood; 01-14-2018 at 02:02 PM.
Old 01-14-2018, 02:26 PM   #11
Kman

Glenn, I can tell you that there's no way I could do a shower that size in three days. That depends on having all the tile down by the end of the second day so it could be grouted on the third. And grouting would be about a half day.

You may find someone that could do your shower that quickly, but it would likely be a crew of several, and they wouldn't work that cheap.

Old 01-14-2018, 02:53 PM   #12
lakewood

Thanks kman for the reply - no timetable - they can take 5 day to complete the job or more... I see you live in North Arkansas, is $2,400 to $3,000 for labor reasonable for a job like this in Arkansas ? That puts me at something like $5,000 for the project once I supply material.

Last edited by lakewood; 01-14-2018 at 03:03 PM.
Old 01-14-2018, 03:18 PM   #13
Kman

If everything was supplied, I suppose you could find someone to do it for that price. It's just difficult to find someone that's running a reputable business with licenses, insurance, employees, etc. to work for little money and still do a quality job.

If there is no timeline, imagine one man working for five days for eight hours a day. At your price per hour they would already be up to $4,000.

My guess is that if you get someone reputable to do the job, you're going to find there is some prep work to be done that will add to the time and cost.

Old 01-14-2018, 03:19 PM   #14
lakewood

Thanks Kevin !

Stonetooling.com   Tile-Assn.com   National Gypsum Permabase