Ceramic Tile Advice Forums - John Bridge Ceramic Tile

Welcome to John Bridge / Tile Your World, the friendliest DIY Forum on the Internet

Advertiser Directory
JohnBridge.com Home
Buy John Bridge's Books

Go Back   Ceramic Tile Advice Forums - John Bridge Ceramic Tile > Tile & Stone Forums > Tile Forum/Advice Board

Sponsors

Old 01-01-2018, 09:06 AM   #1
renue74

Epoxy grout on textured tile

I'm using 13x24 Best Textured Tiles in a mater bath. The tiles have a wavy texture.

http://www.besttile.com/Tile-Collect...id=1530&cid=19

I am planning to use Spectralock epoxy white grout.

Question: Since the gloss white tiles are textured, do I shape the epoxy grout to the shape of the ends?

I've never dealt with the type of tile before.

Kevin
Attached Images

Old 01-01-2018, 12:42 PM   #2
Davy
Moderator -- Mud Man

Yes, I would want the waves to somewhat continue thru the joint. I've used tiles similar to that, just not with epoxy grout. Could be a little bit of a challenge.

www.davystephenstile.com
Davy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2018, 07:55 PM   #3
renue74

Thanks!

Yeah...I think I'm going to run a test on how long it takes to form the epoxy grout "waves" on a few test broken pieces I have.
Old 01-03-2018, 03:08 PM   #4
surgeon

How about making a jig using a foam or rubber float? Loose a few bucks but save time on making the waves. After that might be easier ridges and cleanup. Eh just a thought. Never done it.
Old 01-03-2018, 07:03 PM   #5
Davy
Moderator -- Mud Man

Not sure I follow you, Vic. Are you talking about cutting the wave shape into the edge of a rubber grout float?

I think the grout will somewhat stay bulged out in the wave area after you spread it. In places you may have to add a little grout and wash gingerly.

www.davystephenstile.com
Davy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2018, 07:16 PM   #6
Tool Guy - Kg
Moderator -- Wisconsin Kitchen & Bath Remodeler

I think you're going to running the clean up sponge left and right only. The contour of the sponge from the tile will do much to form the grout lines in the veritical joints. But I think there's little you can do with the horizontal joints.

Old 01-03-2018, 10:45 PM   #7
jadnashua
Veteran DIYer- Schluterville Graduate

STAR Senior Contributor

Are the edges of the tile sharp? That will happen if the tile are cut verses formed with a slight rounded edge. That could make getting the grout filling the gap really problematic. Let us know how the mockup works out. Epoxy grout can be a pain to clean up, especially if you wait too long. Good stuff, but I'm not sure trying it on a textured tile would be my first job choice.
Not a pro, multiple Schluter Workshops (Schluterville and 2013 and 2014 at Schluter Headquarters), Mapei Training 2014, Laticrete Workshop 2014, Custom Building Products Workshop 2015, and Longtime Forum Participant.
jadnashua is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2018, 06:53 AM   #8
JerseyDIYguy

I installed similar tiles in my bathroom but used cementitious grout (Tec PowerGrout). The key for me was to only run the grout float and sponge perpendicular to the grout lines. That way the surface of the grout roughly followed the surface countour of the waves in the tile across each grout joint. It took a bit of artistry but it turned out nice.

Stonetooling.com   Tile-Assn.com   National Gypsum Permabase