Ceramic Tile Advice Forums - John Bridge Ceramic Tile

Welcome to John Bridge / Tile Your World, the friendliest DIY Forum on the Internet

Advertiser Directory
JohnBridge.com Home
Buy John Bridge's Books

Go Back   Ceramic Tile Advice Forums - John Bridge Ceramic Tile > Tile & Stone Forums > Tile Forum/Advice Board

Sponsors

Old 12-31-2017, 04:39 PM   #1
jaydaug99

Newbies trying to tile a kitchen

Hello,

A couple months ago, my father and I started peeling up the linoleum flooring in our kitchen. That said, we have pulled up the top two layers (thick linoleum sheet and a paper adhesive underneath?) but have left some sort of gray, hardened substance on top of the concrete foundation. We have scraped a lot of it off, and I am willing to continue scraping until it is all removed, but my father and brother are stubborn and think they can leave some areas scraped and some unscraped. Maybe this is true--I just prefer to finish the job. That said, would we be able to confidently (forgetting the fact that we are newbies) tile the kitchen floor even if all of this scrape-able substance is not removed? Would it be smarter as first-timers to rather do an epoxy finish and forget this whole tile idea? Thank you.
Old 12-31-2017, 05:05 PM   #2
rmckee84

I'm not following the question, are you asking if someone inexperienced could install tile on a kitchen floor? Or are you asking if you can install over the paper backing that is still on the slab?
rmckee84 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2017, 05:20 PM   #3
jaydaug99

I am asking if it's smart to install tile onto the concrete now even though there's this gray hard substance in splotches all around. Should we scrape all of this substance off first or would it be find to leave the patches? Should we even try to install tile ourselves or should we pay for it to be done/do an epoxy finish ourselves?
Old 12-31-2017, 06:22 PM   #4
Davy
Moderator -- Mud Man

My go-to tool for this would be a cup wheel on a grinder, They do make a vacuum shrout that helps with the dust. I have heard of guys tiling over the bottom layer but it's best to stick to concrete.

We can't really answer your last question. Do your homework, start by reading here and asking questions, We're here to help.

www.davystephenstile.com
Davy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2017, 07:36 PM   #5
rmckee84

I'm with Davy on this one. We have no idea how capable you guys are or aren't, only you can decide that.
rmckee84 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2017, 08:42 PM   #6
Obo2

You really want the floor as close to perfectly flat as possible for tile. I'm guessing whatever is on there is not nice and flat having been partially removed. You also risk having a bad bond or it breaking down over time and creating a void.

It's not too difficult to tile for the first time. Between the fine folks here and a lot of reading and videos i did my first room successfully.

You might not save much doing it yourself between tools and other expenses. You will still have the tools afterward though.

Stonetooling.com   Tile-Assn.com   National Gypsum Permabase