Ceramic Tile Advice Forums - John Bridge Ceramic Tile

Welcome to John Bridge / Tile Your World, the friendliest DIY Forum on the Internet

Advertiser Directory
JohnBridge.com Home
Buy John Bridge's Books

Go Back   Ceramic Tile Advice Forums - John Bridge Ceramic Tile > Tile & Stone Forums > Tile Forum/Advice Board

Sponsors

Old 12-29-2017, 12:22 PM   #1
Evanston

Removing & Replacing tile over Ditra heat

Seeking help from the true professionals on this board.

My now-departed installer put a couple of tiles (4x4 tumbled marble) down that have, shall we say, more than rounded - i.e. chipped - corners, and the appearance bothers me, particularly since we had plenty of extra tile. They’ve been down about a week. It took him two days to do a floor about 3’ by 8’, tiles on the diagonal. Not including the Ditra install. Or the self-leveler. Or the cable layout, which I did for him.

We have not yet grouted.

For reasons not worth getting into here, I will not be asking him to return to attempt a fix. I’m actually going to be finishing the job myself.

What is the likelihood of being able to replace one or two tiles without creating bigger problems? I have an angle grinder, chisels, scrapers, and other tools (a deceased relative was in the trade) and certain amount of patience. I have a photo of where the heat cables were run. I have some extra Ditra, but I don’t know that cutting it out is an option.

Should I make my peace with floor and move on, or is there a possibility of fixing this?

Thanks in advance,

Alex
Old 12-29-2017, 01:48 PM   #2
Kman

Do you know what thinset mortar was used to set them?

You'll want to break them up into smaller pieces to remove them. A nail set works best for that.

The top ten reasons to procrastinate:

Kman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2017, 04:38 PM   #3
Evanston

He used Schluter All-Set
Old 12-29-2017, 07:32 PM   #4
Kman

Probably won't be easy after a week, but the sooner you start, the better. Just don't get too aggressive. Start small and work your way up to the minimum amount of force it takes to break the tile up.

The top ten reasons to procrastinate:

Kman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2017, 09:22 PM   #5
Evanston

Thanks; I'm going to look at it in the morning and decide how brave I am. Appreciate the suggestion of using a nail set.
Old 12-29-2017, 09:45 PM   #6
Tool Guy - Kg
Moderator -- Wisconsin Kitchen & Bath Remodeler

I've used the nail set method with success.

And I've used an angle grinder cutting deep scores into the tile with success. With cutting scores every fraction of an inch, it give you the opportunity to use a large flat-headed screw driver to pry the little sections apart. I try to use a twisting motion much more than a traditional up/down prying motion.

Stonetooling.com   Tile-Assn.com   National Gypsum Permabase