Ceramic Tile Advice Forums - John Bridge Ceramic Tile

Welcome to John Bridge / Tile Your World, the friendliest DIY Forum on the Internet

Advertiser Directory
JohnBridge.com Home
Buy John Bridge's Books

Go Back   Ceramic Tile Advice Forums - John Bridge Ceramic Tile > Tile & Stone Forums > The Mud Box

Sponsors

Old 12-29-2017, 02:02 AM   #1
Shady at Best
Tyrone shoelaces

What's in the Tcna handbook

I am thinking about getting with the program and ordering a copy of the tcna but wanted to check with y'all first.
I know there used to be free copies of older versions available online. Anyone know where to find a free copy?
I have never read through one. Does it have a table of contents? If yes, will someone post a pic of it so that i can get an idea of what type of info is in it.

Thanks

Travis, that is a very good idea!

It's just a clever handle.
Shady at Best is online now   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 12-29-2017, 09:58 AM   #2
Tiger Mountain Tile Inc
tile lackey

Travis, if you join the NTCA they'll send you one free.

It's a hefty fee (joining) but the sponsors make sure that you get it back with vouchers that you'll use in your business. I usually recommend that contractors try it for 1 year and see if it looks like something that they want to be a part of.

But otherwise you could buy a book at the TCNA site. It's worth having.

To answer your questions: Not sure if there's free older ones online anywhere

Yes, there's a table of contents (when you see the book you'll realize it's a must)

There's a whole bunch of different methods in the book. I don't know how many but the book is well over an inch thick.

Basically, each method is broken down. Example: interior floors over concrete; ceilings/soffits; steam room, etc.

Each one has a schematic drawing, recommeded uses, materials, limitations, and more. Sort of like a technical data sheet for a product.

Photos might be difficult as the material is copyrighted. But hopefully this is a bit helpful.
Old 12-29-2017, 10:16 AM   #3
Tool Guy - Kg
Moderator -- Wisconsin Kitchen & Bath Remodeler

You won't be sorry. This is not "coming over to the dark side"

Yeah, it's copywrited.

But we can still tell you what's in there:
It starts out with a product selection guide that talks about ceramic, glass, natural stone, setting materials, grout, backer board, membrane, additional produts, and green building standards.

Than it's got a section for field and installation requirements that talks about substrate, lighting, mortar and mortar coverage, flatness, joint size, pattern considerations, finished tile work, accessibility, and wet areas guidelines.

A few short but excellent sections on tiling installtion guide (for picking methods), environmental exposure classifications, using the handbook for specefication writing, and installer and contractor qualifications guide.

Then it goes into all the different recognized industry methods, one by one. With drawings showing exact configurations of each method. This is the part most commonly referred to to get exact questions answered.

Then there's a section on movement joints.

And an appendices.

And finally, three little sections on locating all the different methods.

The $35 cost of the book is far more than worth it. Even if the book helps you avoid a single mistake that will come back to haunt you, it's more than paid for itself. And the knowledge from the book elevates you as a pro. It produces confidence in customers. It helps you land jobs. It helps others as you educate them directly, or share the wealth of the TCNA Handbook with others.

Start out with just the TCNA Handbook if you like. But do consider joining the NTCA. It pays for itself and really kicks you into high gear as a professional.

Old 12-29-2017, 07:53 PM   #4
Shady at Best
Tyrone shoelaces

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tiger Mountain Tile Inc View Post

Basically, each method is broken down.
Perfect. That is what i was hoping for. I am looking for better ways for doing showers. I am over the whole kerdi/ membrane thing. I am over firring out walls to make them plumb. I am thinking about going back to mudding the walls. But Only if i can feel good about them being waterproof.

I will buy the book now and maybe join in 2018.

Old 12-29-2017, 08:05 PM   #5
jwmezzanotte

I rarely get the opportunity to do it (usually using foam board now) but floated walls and Hydroban is my favourite hands down!
I'd go back to it if I didn't have to wait so long for the mud to cure before using the hydroban.
jwmezzanotte is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2017, 09:04 PM   #6
Shady at Best
Tyrone shoelaces

Here's a question for y'all. Someone refresh my mind. How would one float a wall in order to have the floated wall in plane with the finished drywall? Let's say you are doing a shower with surface bullnose vs a quarter round.
Does that make sense? I am sure that i will think 'of course that's how it's done.'

Old 12-29-2017, 09:10 PM   #7
jwmezzanotte

You can get a two coat float pretty close to flush with drywall. Close enough that nobody would notice anyway. I've done it a couple times.
Been a while, but I recall needing to do a thin scratch coat and keep the mud thin as I could behind my float strip.
Could probably use the drywall as a "float strip" if it were straight and plumb enough.

I don't really mind the look of the 1/2" rippers to hide a one coat though. It used to bug me but now I kinda like it actually
jwmezzanotte is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2018, 12:10 PM   #8
Shady at Best
Tyrone shoelaces

Anyone have a pictures of floating a shower this way?

Back to the handbook. Is the 2017 version worth $30 more than the 2011 version? There is a copy on Amazon for $8.50.

Second thought. Maybe i better get the newest version.

Old 01-01-2018, 07:46 PM   #9
smifwal

there were 26 additions or revisions from 2016 to 2017. can you imagine the changes the have made since 2011. I got a copy of 2016 if you want it pm me your address I will send it to you. but as the others were saying joining the NTCA well worth it just in the vouchers but don't be like me and forget to use them. I was sad to see that the lost ardex
Old 01-02-2018, 06:30 PM   #10
Shady at Best
Tyrone shoelaces

Thanks. I will take you up on that. Pm sent

Old 01-02-2018, 10:27 PM   #11
Just In Tile LLC

Travis the TCNA handbook is awesome, you'll love having the information at your fingertips, the ANSI books is also a great accompaniment. I just floated out two tubs with a scratch and brown flush to the drywall. Some pics are in the mud tips and tricks thread. Used a tip Davy provided to get the wire set back in the stud bays a little to get more mud in for strength, worked great!

Ask any questions you need about the technique, the wire prep makes or breaks it in my opinion.

Stonetooling.com   Tile-Assn.com   National Gypsum Permabase