Ceramic Tile Advice Forums - John Bridge Ceramic Tile

Welcome to John Bridge / Tile Your World, the friendliest DIY Forum on the Internet

Advertiser Directory
JohnBridge.com Home
Buy John Bridge's Books

Go Back   Ceramic Tile Advice Forums - John Bridge Ceramic Tile > Tile & Stone Forums > Professionals' Hangout

Sponsors

Old 12-28-2017, 11:30 PM   #1
jwmezzanotte

Slate shower

Have a return customer that really wants to use slate in their shower. I'll be using hydroban board.

I'm not worried about the substrate or leaks, but concerned about the slate. I had a very similar stone in my own shower for many years with no problems at all. Was rough slate too, and I did not take any extra care in regards to maintenance.

Mostly I worry about rust, efflorescence, and deterioration of the slate. Any way to test this, soak a few pieces? Leave some out in the weather? It rains here more days than not...

Anyone else used similar material in a shower? Were there problems?

Link is to the floor I did for them a couple years ago. They would love to use that same material.
https://m.facebook.com/3774705889371...pe=3&source=54
jwmezzanotte is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 12-29-2017, 09:06 AM   #2
John Bridge
Mudmeister

Send a message via AIM to John Bridge
I wouldn't do it, John. Send them links to some of the marble shower threads on this forum. The same or worse applies to slate.
John Bridge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2017, 09:27 AM   #3
tilemanct
Tile & Stone

There are so many porcelain tile look-alike's out there to choose from. Slate is a no-go in a wet environment. And don't try the customer waiver of responsibility to you. They don't hold up in court.

CTEF Certified Installer
I lost my hero on 5-21-16 You will be missed. Semper Fi
tilemanct is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2017, 09:30 AM   #4
Dave Gobis
da Man!

My experience is 50/50. Vermont slate holds up pretty good. We have done outdoor work with that in WI.
Dave Gobis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2017, 11:18 AM   #5
jwmezzanotte

Thanks for the responses

To be honest I had pretty well talked them out of it in our first meeting, And for all the reasons above. I just wanted to get some more input.

I'm currently looking for a slate look porcelain. I've got a few links with my current suppliers, will bring in some samples.

ive used slate in wet environments a few times with good results but I've seen some of the threads on this forum where there has been problems and it's pretty ugly.
I think it's got a lot to do with the particular type of slate. Some are softer/more flaky than others. The ones I have used have been very solid. Hard to scratch even. Pretty hard to be sure without just installing it as a "test" 😂

"Rolling the dice" or "50/50" were about what I said in my meeting with them. They understand and willing to go with something else.

I just wanted to get some more input to be sure I wasn't just being overly cautious and leading them away from slate without good reason.

Thanks!
Old 12-29-2017, 11:29 AM   #6
wwhitney

I've used the following in a couple small areas (50 square feet total) and am happy with it:

https://www.edimax.it/collections/sl...color/?lang=en

Cheers, Wayne
Old 12-29-2017, 11:48 AM   #7
jwmezzanotte

Wayne

That's a porcelain tile? If so that looks real nice. Was there a distributor you went through to get it? This customer isn't overly concerned about cost, I mean I'm sure there is a limit but extra shipping costs aren't likely an issue.

I am in Canada though, so that may add to the fun..
Old 12-29-2017, 12:53 PM   #8
wwhitney

Yep, it's porcelain. One of my local tile shops stocks it, imported from Italy, so I don't know anything about distribution. My only idea would be to google 'edimax slaty canada.'

The only caveat about it is that it has these 'reverse conic edges' which means there's a back bevel on the edges to help with achieving small grout joints. If you're drylaying it and smack the edges of two tiles together, it can chip easily, because of the back bevel. But the tiles I got were very flat and very precisely rectified, I had no trouble laying 12x24s with a 50% overlap and an 1/8" grout joint.

Cheers, Wayne

Stonetooling.com   Tile-Assn.com   National Gypsum Permabase