Ceramic Tile Advice Forums - John Bridge Ceramic Tile

Welcome to John Bridge / Tile Your World, the friendliest DIY Forum on the Internet

Advertiser Directory
JohnBridge.com Home
Buy John Bridge's Books

Go Back   Ceramic Tile Advice Forums - John Bridge Ceramic Tile > Tile & Stone Forums > Tile Forum/Advice Board

Sponsors

Old 12-30-2017, 12:13 AM   #16
ia_alex

Thanks everyone. No plans on reusing the cable. The $300 or so for the 43sf cable is minor compared to losing sleep at night, especially after this whole debacle. That would include questioning whether or not the tester got it right!

Remainder of Ditra removal and subfloor prep tomorrow.
Old 12-30-2017, 12:28 AM   #17
jwmezzanotte

Should be testing the new cable with a megger as well. It needs to be done at a couple stages of install for the warranty too, unless that has changed recently
jwmezzanotte is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2018, 10:32 PM   #18
ia_alex

Finished ripping out the Ditra this afternoon, and spent the rest of the night rubbing the floor down with the brick. So far I've wiped vacuumed everything once and wiped down the subfloor twice, decently wet. Water is still pretty dirty so will clean off a few more times yet before proceeding.

My plan from here on out:

- I got the Schluter All-Set mortar for the Ditra installation. I figured that they wouldn't not recommend their own product. Will most likely use their unmodified as well for setting the tile.

- Plan to butter the back of the Ditra, and 1/4" square notch the subfloor.

- Took care to make sure I didn't damage the sensor cables on the tear out, so will re-use one of them and install and connect the new sensor that's included with the Ditra cable.

- Set the tile with Schluters 'Set' thinset with a 1/2 x 1/2 trowel, tile back buttered.

We originally picked the Espresso Power Grout by Tec, will most likely use that again as it's also whats in our tiled shower that you can see in the background of the picture.

If there's anything I'm missing please feel free to chime in. Happy New Year everyone.
Attached Images

Old 01-02-2018, 08:18 AM   #19
rmckee84

I worry that "buttering" the back of the ditra heat will lead to high/low spots, but its up to you.
rmckee84 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2018, 04:59 PM   #20
Shady at Best
Tyrone shoelaces

I wouldn't back butter the same way that i would do tile. I am pushing thinset in and through the felt. Most of the thinset is removed from the felt when i have done it

Travis, that is a very good idea!

It's just a clever handle.
Shady at Best is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2018, 11:27 AM   #21
ia_alex

Finished up reinstalling the Ditra. Mixed the All Set according to the bag (5.5 - 6.5 quarts per 50#), but it still seemed a little more on the stiff side than what I've seen in the past. I did not want to go past the amount of water the bag recommended, so we rolled with the mix.

I used a 1/4 x 1/4 square notch, keyed in the subfloor and the back of the Ditra, pushing it in especially hard on the Ditra and scraping off as much as we could before laying it down. We used mag floats with all our weight to press down and found complete coverage when peeling up the sheets (we did it on two corners on every sheet).

Aside from checking the bottom side by peeling up and looking, is there any other way I should check to see that I got it bonded properly before proceeding?

Edit: I should add, we pressed down on the Ditra hard enough that we got the thinset to squeeze out the sides and joints.

Last edited by ia_alex; 01-04-2018 at 11:41 AM.
ia_alex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2018, 11:58 AM   #22
Gozo

I used a grey thinset and could see the areas I didnít get good coverage through the Ditra as they were whiteish through the orange vs. much darker where the thinset got through the fleece up to the bottom of the plastic.

Stonetooling.com   Tile-Assn.com   National Gypsum Permabase