Ceramic Tile Advice Forums - John Bridge Ceramic Tile

Welcome to John Bridge / Tile Your World, the friendliest DIY Forum on the Internet

Advertiser Directory
JohnBridge.com Home
Buy John Bridge's Books

Go Back   Ceramic Tile Advice Forums - John Bridge Ceramic Tile > Tile & Stone Forums > Tile Forum/Advice Board

Sponsors

Old 12-30-2017, 11:57 PM   #16
ksieburg

I have some 12 x 24" tiles. I was planning on staggering them at 50% but I've read that that 30% aka a 70/30 split is a better idea. I seem to have found 2 ways to accomplish that pattern. One is where every other course's grout lines line up (see pic below although it is at a 50% offset) and the other is where every 3rd course's grout lines line up (second pic).

Questions:

1) Are these both the same pattern?

2) I prefer the one where the 2nd course lines up. Is it just a matter of preference?

3) Is there a trick to laying these out or, assuming I go with every other course's grout lines lining up, is at as simple as create a course by starting from the wall with a full piece and then on the next course, start with a piece that is a 3rd the size of a full piece, rinse and repeat?
Attached Images

Last edited by ksieburg; 12-31-2017 at 12:05 AM.
ksieburg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2017, 12:53 AM   #17
Houston Remodeler
Pondering retirement daily

STAR Senior Contributor

They are 2 different patterns. Personally I dislike the barber shop pole look.

But that is really important is which Mrs Karl prefers.

For when DIY isn't such a good idea...
Houston TX area Kitchen & Bath Remodeling

http://CabotAndRowe.com
Houston Remodeler is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2017, 01:10 AM   #18
Obo2

I did my 12 x 24 with a 50% pattern. If you lay them out dry and have a lot of lippage it might not work. My tiles were pretty flat and i used a leveling system. The 50% pattern worked great with that.

It all depends how much bow your tiles have.
Old 12-31-2017, 07:45 AM   #19
ksieburg

Which one is the barber shop pattern and which one is the actual 70/30 split? Any chance for feedback on my question about how to install (question 3)? I'm hoping to tile today and have time to still party for new year's!
Old 12-31-2017, 08:03 AM   #20
ss3964spd

Send a message via Yahoo to ss3964spd
The 2nd pic is the barber shop pole look.

Check the tiles for flatness by taking two and place one atop the other - face to face. See how much the top one rocks on the bottom. If they don't rock, they're pretty flat. If they are flat do the same test with other random sample tiles.

As to the layout it's really what pleases your, and Mrs. Karls' eye, but avoiding slivers if possible. Laying a bunch out dry will give you a strong visual.
ss3964spd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2018, 11:20 AM   #21
ksieburg

Hey guys, I squared the room and left an expansion joint along the bathtub that didn't work out to be an even width, likely because the tub isn't straight. At the beginning it's about an 1/8" and towards the end of the bathtub it expands a little over double that. I think caulking it will be fine but wanted to know if anyone recommends a trim piece or something to conceal the gap altogether? Maybe something like this?
Old 01-02-2018, 02:20 PM   #22
Obo2

try a color matched caulk first. If you decide it doesn't look good you can add trim.

I have a piece of synthetic baseboard I got because i thought my tub was a little wavy and I thought my cut tiles along the tub were a little off. Ended up looking fine once caulked.
Old 01-02-2018, 09:05 PM   #23
ksieburg

Sounds like a plan. Thanks Nick
Old 01-13-2018, 01:34 PM   #24
ksieburg

I'm going to go ahead and add a piece of quarter round over the seam between the tile floor and bathtub. What should I use to adhere it to the bathtub? Just some caulk?

Stonetooling.com   Tile-Assn.com   National Gypsum Permabase