Ceramic Tile Advice Forums - John Bridge Ceramic Tile

Welcome to John Bridge / Tile Your World, the friendliest DIY Forum on the Internet

Advertiser Directory
JohnBridge.com Home
Buy John Bridge's Books

Go Back   Ceramic Tile Advice Forums - John Bridge Ceramic Tile > Tile & Stone Forums > Tile Forum/Advice Board

Sponsors

Old 12-26-2017, 07:14 PM   #16
Houston Remodeler
Pondering retirement daily

STAR Senior Contributor

WHat Davy said plus there is Adrex feather finish.

Normally we mark the slab, mix the SLC, then use a straight edge to fill in the low spots and feather at the same time.

For when DIY isn't such a good idea...
Houston TX area Kitchen & Bath Remodeling

http://CabotAndRowe.com
Houston Remodeler is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2017, 08:10 PM   #17
mark999

Paul

With those big tiles and probably bowed somewhat you will want that floor very flat. That will make the tiling go a lot easier and cut down on the frustration. Hard to tell from the pics but it looks like you will need to work on some of those areas.

I do not use SLC very often and I would not ever use it unless I was doing the whole floor. I do not use patching compounds because they cure rock hard so therefore they do not knock down if you left a high spot or want to feather down.

I have my own technique and special recipe concoction that I use but I do not know if the moderators will allow me to share because it does not conform to any recognized industry standards but it does not violate any manuf. written instructions. Lets see if one of them will chime in.
Old 12-26-2017, 11:57 PM   #18
Davy
Moderator -- Mud Man

Don't fear any moderators, it's the tile police I'd watch out for.

I don't see any problem letting us in on your secret recipe. Just let folks know that it meets Mark's standards and no one elses.

www.davystephenstile.com
Davy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2017, 01:10 AM   #19
mark999

Disclaimer: The following does not meet anybodys standards but my own. The technique is the same as decribed by others. Mix,pour,spread out a little,and screed off with straight edge(may need different lengths)

The slab needs to be clean.Scraped,swept,vacumbed,and moped.Depending on temp,humidity,and air flow, water needs to be absorbed fairly quickly. If the concrete is not absorbant you will not get a proper bond which is a deal killer and the slab will need to be abratted .

Rather than a primer use a high quality thinset mixed to a fairly loose consistency but you can still pick it up with a flat trowel .Just prior to spreading the secret poo dampen the area and (burn in a thin skim coat of the thin set) It does not have to be pretty, just fully cover the one area to be done going a little bit past on all sides. Laticrete 254 is great for this application.It is super sticky and very high quality. Now is not the time to go smoke a cig. You need to cover the skim coat right away so you get a good bond.

The poo: This recipe was given to me by an old Cracker from Florida about 25 years ago. 75% thinset that is for thick bed morter and 25% topping(sand and cement). Mix to a looser consistency(mix well) but do not mix too thin. It really should not pour from bucket but almost. It needs to have a little body.Like concrete too loose will make it weaker and too thick will make it harder to screed.Just right and it will bond to the skim coat like white on rice.

Now scoop or drag the poo onto the skim coat and with some pressure flat trowel it down to ensure bond. add more to slightly over fill area and screed off.You might have to backtrack to fill in a low spot or remove access buildup on straight edge.Do not play with it trying to fix it with your trowel ,it will only make it worse. You can fix it later.

For knocking it down I have 2 tools.Store bought scraper thing that looks like a trowel but has heavy duty blades that run kinda perpendicular across conected with rods.It is agressive and works well for a first scrape or thick spots but not a must have. The other tool is a homemade scraper thing. Cut a piece of wire lathe 1" bigger on all sides of flat trowel and bend over the extra onto the top. Go over the whole area to flatten and to feather edges.fast and works great.

Sweep,vacume,and mop. When tiling dampen section to be done,burn a skim coat onto slab,notch towel thinset onto skim,burn skim coat onto back of clean tile, and wiggle or pound or both tile into thinset, pull first couple to check or good coverage.

1)skim bonded to slab
2)poo bonded to skim
3)thinset bonded to poo
4)tile bonded to thinset
Kinda makes you fell bad for the guy that has to demo that floor 50 years from now.

Dissclaimer #2) This is not to be used as a substitute for SLC or a bonded morter bed where bigger thicknesses are required.
Old 12-28-2017, 03:56 AM   #20
evan1968
Not So Senior Contributor

This guy screeds.☝
evan1968 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2017, 06:35 AM   #21
mark999

Craig

I use the word screed loosely as it seems to be somewhat interchangeabe with other words like float,drag,and strike off. Generally I just use my eye and feel to drag mud but I have used screeds where the floor drops off up to a wall.
Old 12-28-2017, 07:10 AM   #22
evan1968
Not So Senior Contributor

Yeah, and it sounds like you do a great job at it!
This guy floats,drags and strikes off!
evan1968 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2018, 07:45 PM   #23
psteinmetz1

I am attaching some pictures of my current progress. I ended up deciding to go with the Mapei self leveling compound.

Last edited by psteinmetz1; 01-02-2018 at 10:28 AM.
psteinmetz1 is offline   Reply With Quote

Stonetooling.com   Tile-Assn.com   National Gypsum Permabase