Ceramic Tile Advice Forums - John Bridge Ceramic Tile

Welcome to John Bridge / Tile Your World, the friendliest DIY Forum on the Internet

Advertiser Directory
JohnBridge.com Home
Buy John Bridge's Books

Go Back   Ceramic Tile Advice Forums - John Bridge Ceramic Tile > Tile & Stone Forums > Professionals' Hangout

Sponsors

Old 12-02-2017, 11:29 AM   #1
Mayatan

Freezing Prism Grout What are the effects?

As the title says, I have stored a pile of sealed in the bag Prism grout left over from jobs. The freeze thaw cycles have been plenty as itís stored in an unheated metal storage bib, in Alberta, for 4 to 7 years. The bags are totally sealed and dry. I was not aware till a few weeks ago that you canít let the dry powder freeze. So, what happens if I use some say in a cabin or low key area? Is it total garbage now or just not as strong as unfrozen powder?
Old 12-02-2017, 11:40 AM   #2
cx
da Home-builder -- Moderator-at-Large

Welcome, SG.

What does the manufacturer say about your situation?

While the calcium aluminate-based products differ from the Portland cement products, I've never heard that their shelf life is in any way improved. `Might actually be shorter.

I suggest you contact CBP before using any of that product for anything besides yard bunnies.

My opinion; worth price charged.

Y'ALL NEW VISITORS READ THIS HERE!
cx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2017, 12:12 PM   #3
Mayatan

CBP says ďKeep from FreezingĒ. Thatís it. None of the distributors will take returns on Prism Grout. Even if you buy then try to return in July. Iíll contact the guys on Seal Beach next week. I was just wondering what the ramifications are if it was used. Seems odd you canít freeze dry powder sealed in a cellophane bag.
Old 12-02-2017, 12:15 PM   #4
Mayatan

I was that kid that needed more of an answer than ď I said soĒ. If I gotta throw it out fine. No big deal, just looking for someone here that can explain it.
Old 12-02-2017, 12:34 PM   #5
Davy
Moderator -- Mud Man

I wouldn't use any grout that is 4-7 years old no matter which type it is. Just too risky and too much work to replace. Prism has Portland cement in it and cement doesn't get as hard when it gets old. I try to limit any grout I have to 1 year.

www.davystephenstile.com

Last edited by Davy; 12-02-2017 at 12:55 PM.
Davy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2017, 02:11 PM   #6
cx

I wasn't addressing the freeze/thaw part of your question at all, SG. With the age of the product, I just don't think that part matters at all. Like yourself, I don't know what effect freeze/thaw would have on the dry product, but I bet the chemists at CBP do. I'll axe'em.

Davy, it was my understanding that Prism was made with calcium aluminate cement rather than Portland, but perhaps it is a blend of both. You know that it also contains Portland?

I don't know much about the calcium aluminate cements except that they are sometimes used in "high early" types of concrete and for other purposes. Seems there are a lot more tile installation products being made with those calcuim aluminates these days, to the extent that there are changes being proposed to eliminate Portland as an indentifier in some of the ANSI standards for setting and grouting materials.

Old 12-02-2017, 06:20 PM   #7
Just In Tile LLC

Like Davy I don't use grout that's more than a year old, I tell customers if they don't want the leftovers I'm just gonna throw it away, sometimes it changes thier mind and they keep it.
Old 12-02-2017, 06:36 PM   #8
Davy
Moderator -- Mud Man

Kelly, it is Calcium Aluminate instead of Portland, my bad. That explains why it gets hard so fast. From what I found, it doesn't cure any faster than Portland but hardens in 24 hours as much as Portland does in 28 days. Shelf life is 6 months. I can't say about how cold weather effects it.

www.davystephenstile.com
Old 12-02-2017, 07:17 PM   #9
cx

Thanks, Davy. The shorter shelf life makes sense to me, but I couldn't find it in the CPB literature.

Old 12-04-2017, 11:07 AM   #10
Steve Taylor
Technical Rep

Prism is based on Calcium Aluminate cement. Calcium Aluminate cement hydrates faster and is more likely to pick up moisture from the atmosphere. While it is packaged in plastic, plastic does allow a very low moisture vapor penetration; low perm rate. Therefore Prism does have a 6 month shelf life, after that its strength will suffer. We do not recommend using Prism that is 4-6 years old for anything.

Prism should be installed when its temperature is above 50 F, so we advise that it is kept from freezing. If it is stored in freezing conditions, it should be warmed above 50 F before using.
Old 12-04-2017, 07:58 PM   #11
Davy
Moderator -- Mud Man

I've used it many times, Steve and it's what I use now instead of Polyblend. I've had very few problems with Polyblend over the years but I like that Prism's color is very consistent and sets a little faster.

www.davystephenstile.com

Stonetooling.com   Tile-Assn.com   National Gypsum Permabase