Ceramic Tile Advice Forums - John Bridge Ceramic Tile

Welcome to John Bridge / Tile Your World, the friendliest DIY Forum on the Internet

Advertiser Directory
JohnBridge.com Home
Buy John Bridge's Books

Go Back   Ceramic Tile Advice Forums - John Bridge Ceramic Tile > Tile & Stone Forums > Tile Forum/Advice Board

Sponsors

Old 12-02-2017, 09:00 AM   #1
DonS

To remove or not to remove wall fat mud?

A quick question as to whether or not I should remove this wall mud that flattens my backsplash area. It is about 1" thick, over lath, on slump block, and solid as a rock (pun intended). I will be removing above red line (see pic 2) but retiling below including about 2" above current mud for the new backsplash. This is approx. 48 years old.

Before I head in with chisel and sledge hammer, can this be tiled over, leveling (or removing) the leftover thinset of course.

Your input is greatly appreciated. Thank you.
Don
Attached Images

Old 12-02-2017, 09:52 AM   #2
Tool Guy - Kg
Moderator -- Wisconsin Kitchen & Bath Remodeler

If the mud is solid and remains so after the adjacent demolition, there’s no reason you couldn’t keep the mud and tile it again.

But you’re tiling 2” above that line, you say. I’m concerned about the substrate where the wood is. What kind of tile are you planning and how large is it? And while the upper horizontal band of wood is obviously surface mounted, it’s hard to tell about the bottom band. Is that surface mounted as well? Is it being removed? Will there be something of a hole left upon removal or will the tile have a continuous substrate in that area?

Old 12-02-2017, 10:00 AM   #3
DonS

Thanks for your reply Tool Guy. The wood is a cabinet nailer just masonry nailed to the slump block.

That would mean I will need to remove the wood and add mud about 2" above to the slump block. Does it sound reasonable that the new mud will work cohesively with the old mud? New tile are 1" strips on a 12" sq' mesh (render attached)?

Thanks.
Attached Images

Old 12-02-2017, 11:59 AM   #4
Davy
Moderator -- Mud Man

Just before filling with mud, apply some thinset to the brick and top edge of the old mud. The thinset will bond the new mud to the old.

If you are using glass tiles, I would apply a skim coat of white thinset over the whole back splash.

www.davystephenstile.com

Last edited by Davy; 12-02-2017 at 12:15 PM.
Davy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2017, 06:24 PM   #5
DonS

Follow Up

Thanks for the information on the thin-set. I will do that.
Should the left over thinset that is still on the mud be removed, or flattened(leveled) and scored?
To follow up on this same situation, what if I needed to remove the fat mud on slump block that I wanted to be visible. In this pic, I have removed the mud and what is left is a bit of residue. Any suggestions on removing this?

Thank you for reviewing this.
Attached Images

Old 12-02-2017, 06:53 PM   #6
Davy
Moderator -- Mud Man

The old thinset left on the mud should be flattened smooth. A hand held rub brick might do it. Then a skim coat of white thinset can flatten it out even more.

You might try a wire brush on the blocks to remove the cement. Removing it all could be a tough job.

www.davystephenstile.com
Old 12-30-2017, 05:23 PM   #7
DonS

additional Question

As I get further into the project, I may need to remove old mud on wall. Is there a product or process I could use to smooth/level the block wall in prep for backsplash tile?

The old mud is 1 to 1-1/4" thick in places. Is it possible to do a thinner mud to create a flat surface tile on?

Is Ardex Feather finish a consideration?

Thanks.
Don
Old 12-30-2017, 06:13 PM   #8
Davy
Moderator -- Mud Man

A mud bed like you have is the perfect substrate for tiling over slump blocks or just about any rough surface. The mud you have can be smoothed out using a rub stone like I mentioned in post 6. Did you try that?

www.davystephenstile.com

Stonetooling.com   Tile-Assn.com   National Gypsum Permabase