Ceramic Tile Advice Forums - John Bridge Ceramic Tile

Welcome to John Bridge / Tile Your World, the friendliest DIY Forum on the Internet

Advertiser Directory
JohnBridge.com Home
Buy John Bridge's Books

Go Back   Ceramic Tile Advice Forums - John Bridge Ceramic Tile > Tile & Stone Forums > Tile Forum/Advice Board

Sponsors

Old 07-24-2017, 09:58 AM   #1
Atomic21

32x48 Kerdi Board

Working on a 42x60 walk in shower. 4x8 sheets of 1/2" kerdi board are difficult for me to source, but I can readily get 32x48's. Aside from a few extra joints, is there any problem with using the smaller boards?
Old 07-24-2017, 10:30 AM   #2
Tool Guy - Kg
Moderator -- Wisconsin Kitchen & Bath Remodeler

Nope. You're all good.

But can we ask where you're getting them from that can't supply you with what you need?

Old 07-24-2017, 10:43 AM   #3
Atomic21

I'm in southcentral PA and I've called about five local Schluter dealer/suppliers who quoted me 4x8's at $150/ea with at least a 2 week lead time.

There's a floor & decor in Philadelphia that has 4x8's for $99 ea, but that would be 4 hours roundtrip with the trailer.

I can buy (12) 32x48 sheets from lowes for $460, and they deliver to my front door.
Old 11-27-2017, 07:25 AM   #4
Atomic21

Versa Bond and Kerdi

Ive researched the particulars about using VersaBond with Kerdi. ie, voids warranty but is/was a good product and usable. My only problem is most all of the threads on this subject are 2010 and earlier. I cant believe 2010 is almost 8 years ago, but I'm just curious if anyone can comment that there have not been any changes in the VersaBond formulation to change the approach for its use with Kerdi.
Old 11-27-2017, 09:12 AM   #5
Atomic21

Kerdi Shower Drain Leveling Tips

I am looking for any tips for gluing on the kerdi shower drain to a PVC drain riser and getting it perfectly level.

This is a non-access case for a shower that will have a mud base, 2nd floor install where the subfloor is already in place, and the drain riser cut to the correct height and relatively plumb. I'm assuming that there will be a few seconds of wiggle time before the joint cement sets that I'll have to adjust it with a small level, but obviously I only get one shot at it, and if its wrong, will be a nightmare plumbing redo scenario.

Was maybe thinking of using shims to push it down onto?
Old 11-27-2017, 09:22 AM   #6
John Bridge
Mudmeister

Send a message via AIM to John Bridge
Hi John,

If the riser it plumb there's no problem at all. If it's only a little out of plumb you can experiment with weights on one side of the drain, or you can hold it level while the PVC glue sets. If the riser is really out of plumb I would cut out the subfloor and make adjustments below.
John Bridge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2017, 09:43 AM   #7
tatumjonj

I'm sure there are many newer threads. Many people continue to use Versabond with Kerdi. As you said, voids the warranty if that's a concern.
Old 11-27-2017, 09:44 AM   #8
John Bridge
Mudmeister

Send a message via AIM to John Bridge
Hi John,

I'm probably the guy who got the whole VersaBond/Kerdi thing going way back when, and I still recommend it even though it will still void the Schluter warranty. I've recently used VersaBond to install Schuter Ditra on the floors of my house in the Texas hills. Actually, I used VersaBond LFT, but VersaBond is still the same as it's always been.
John Bridge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2017, 10:00 AM   #9
cx
Da Home Builder

John, I've combined your threads for this shower project here so folks can see what you're working on and what's been previously asked and answered. We can give it a more generic title any time you'd like to suggest one.

As for the Schluter warranty, unless you can see holes in the Kerdi product, any failure you'll ever have with the waterproofing will be an installer error and won't be covered by any warranty anyway.

My opinion; worth price charged.

Y'ALL NEW VISITORS READ THIS HERE!
cx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2017, 10:31 AM   #10
MisterJJ

I would be careful with using weights to correct minor out of level. Mine was a little out of level and I had no plumbing access and no room to change the plumbing without cutting into joists or tiled flooring. But it wasn't very far out of level so I added 1 gallon jug of water off-center to hold down the high side.

I realized a little late that I couldn't easily check the level with the jug sitting on top but I didn't want to keep moving the already setting thinset. The weight over-compensated and I wound up a little out of level in the opposite direction I started with.

Luckily, the drain has a steeper slope than the pre-formed pan so it is tolerant of out of level. On the side with less slope it's still steeper than the shower pan so I figure it's okay.
Old 11-27-2017, 12:09 PM   #11
Atomic21

thanks guys.

MisterJJ, good point. Thats exactly the situation i'm trying to avoid.

Even though the riser is plumb, dry fitting the drain suggests that the drain can still be installed off-level
Old 11-27-2017, 12:13 PM   #12
t2jeff

I'm a DIY'er and used Versabond on 2 Kerdi installs in 2016 and 2017 (1 tub surround and 1 shower) with no issues.
Old 11-27-2017, 05:55 PM   #13
jadnashua
Veteran DIYer- Schluterville Graduate

STAR Senior Contributor

Most hubs in fittings are too tight to dry fit. It's my limited experience that the hub in the Kerdi drain is a little looser than a conventional hub, and you can dry fit it to the pipe. Normally, because of the taper in the hub, you can't slide it onto the pipe all of the way until the cement is applied and melts the plastic.

Because the cement DOES melt the plastic, and there's a slight bit more room than a conventional hub, there's a small amount of adjustability (it's not much).

The foam tray is designed so that you should be getting the drain to sit flat on it with an even layer of thinset. If the height of the riser is correct and it's plumb, it's easy to get things just right. Ideally, you really want the riser plumb and the height right. There is some, but not much flex or tolerance if you want the thinset bond to hold it in place. Last thing you want is to have the tension eventually causing the bond to fail. The openings around the edges will help bonding once you get the tile on and everything cures since there will be thinset locking the drain flange between the pan and the tile on top, sandwiching it in.

Some put a screw in to help hold it. As long as it doesn't sit too high, once covered with the Kerdi, the thinset bond and the Kerdi will help hold it further.
Not a pro, multiple Schluter Workshops (Schluterville and 2013 and 2014 at Schluter Headquarters), Mapei Training 2014, Laticrete Workshop 2014, Custom Building Products Workshop 2015, and Longtime Forum Participant.
jadnashua is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2017, 09:18 PM   #14
Atomic21

Yea, the hub on the kerdi drain is definitely loose enough to rotate about horizontal a degree or so during dry fit.

I'm going mud pan, so no plastic tray. I may install a set of 4-6 wooden shims that are pre-leveled so i can just push the drain down onto level in one shot. My only concern is if i had to wiggle it down to get it to set straight.
Old 12-17-2017, 12:54 PM   #15
Atomic21

Mud thickness under Kerdi drain and provided shims

Kerdi drain with mud floor over wooden subfloor. The provided styrofoam shims in the kerdi drain kit would locate the drain so that there's only 3/4" mud under the drain flange; however, the instructions say to use 1". Why do the shim thicknesses not match the needed mud thickness? Are they maybe compensating for mesh thickness?

Stonetooling.com   Tile-Assn.com   National Gypsum Permabase