Ceramic Tile Advice Forums - John Bridge Ceramic Tile

Welcome to John Bridge / Tile Your World, the friendliest DIY Forum on the Internet

Advertiser Directory
JohnBridge.com Home
Buy John Bridge's Books

Go Back   Ceramic Tile Advice Forums - John Bridge Ceramic Tile > Tile & Stone Forums > Tile Forum/Advice Board

Sponsors

Old 12-04-2017, 08:06 PM   #16
Davy
Moderator -- Mud Man

I've used a lot of Qwikcrete all purpose sand for making mud and it's always been just right. But, like CX said, yours might be a little different than what we have here in Texas. There might be a small handful of pebbles in a bag that might not go thru a 1/4 inch mesh but overall I've found it to make good mud. I'd rather have a few pebbles too large rather than real fine sand.

www.davystephenstile.com
Davy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2017, 08:32 PM   #17
Redlands Okie

Question

Why not just use the sand topping mix by itself ? It has small diameter ingredients and is easy to towel. Itís rated to be used for tile bases. Itís rated up to 2 inches and your only going to have a bit over that thickness. Leave out the larger gravel size mixes unless you really need them. Or just want to add them to the sand topping mix for that slightly thicker need you have of 2 3/4

https://www.quikrete.com/productline...toppingmix.asp
Old 12-04-2017, 08:48 PM   #18
cx
da Home-builder -- Moderator-at-Large

Robert, that Sand Topping Mix alone is just too rich and sticky to work easily as deck mud. The added sand makes it much more workable.

My opinion; worth price charged.

Y'ALL NEW VISITORS READ THIS HERE!
cx is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2017, 10:22 PM   #19
Davy
Moderator -- Mud Man

Mixing sand mix dryer than normal doesn't make it deck mud. Deck mud needs to be around 5 sand to 1 Portland. Water will travel thru 5 to 1 deck mud much easier than it will thru sand mix. Those saturated shower floors that people complain about are sometimes caused from no preslope. But many times it's from the installer mixing sand mix straight out of the bag. It's too rich and dense for water to easily travel thru it.

www.davystephenstile.com
Davy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2017, 10:25 AM   #20
cx

I was thinking this mud is gonna be under a waterproof membrane, Davy, and not be a problem from the porosity angle, but I could be wrong on that.

Is that the case, Cathy?

Still gonna be better at a 5:1 mix as you say, though.

Old 12-06-2017, 06:50 AM   #21
Granny Grunt

I am going to use the membrane, and seeing as I have never done this particular project before, I want it to be as easily workable as possible. I have what I need , according to the majority of yall, and gonna mix it up in the next few days. My nephew has been doing the majority of the work since I decided to straddle 2 joists, when repairing the floor, and my foot slipped off one and I ended up with a ruptured ACL, a strained MCL and a fractured tibia. I forgot I'm not young and agile anymore. Thank you for the help. Will be back with further questions soon, lol. That's how I learn.
Old 12-06-2017, 07:30 AM   #22
Kman

Kinda got off on the wrong foot, huh?

The top ten reasons to procrastinate:

Kman is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2017, 10:43 AM   #23
cx

The most painful part of all that might be young Kevin's puns, Cathy.

Old 12-06-2017, 11:28 AM   #24
jlbos83
Really Cool Weekend Warrior

Ouch! That is all.

It's a DRY heat!
jlbos83 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2017, 11:50 AM   #25
argile_tile

> I want it to be as easily workable as possible.

I would not expect it to be easy. Infact I suggest posting photos here and asking about each step. Many good DiY'ers have failed to do showers on the first try.

Easy would be modular like furniture. Each smaller piece perfect, then assembled in a way that is both stable and can be dis-assembled. (modular) You can already guess the only way that's usually possible is to buy cheaply made shower bases and walls at (home depot, lowes, etc).
Old 12-06-2017, 01:47 PM   #26
cx

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cathy
I want it to be as easily workable as possible.
I believe she was talking about her deck mud mix there, Argile, and it's certainly easy to make that more easily workable by making that Sand Topping Mix a little less rich.

Old 12-07-2017, 08:38 PM   #27
Granny Grunt

Yes ouch was in there somewhere but it was hidden amongst more trashy adult vocabulary. Actually I thought I was going to pass out or vomit. Yes I want the mud to be as easy to work with as I can make it. Started out with just going to replace the old tub, that had been refinished at some point, that was peeling and disgusting looking. Turned into a whole shower project. I will get some pics posted but in the meantime I have another question. How would you go about using waterproofing membrane with a linear drain ? I've watched the Nobleseal and Schluter vids but they look like the membrane is part of their drain, which I can not afford. Installation instructions are more for using the pvc liner which I don't really want to do. It's looks way less complicated to use the fiber membrane. No notches for the liner and so on. I can do this drain straight through the floor into the plumbing or I can use the clamping drain, doesn't matter to me as long as I can get the drain in and sealed tight. Please advise. I have a vision in my head of how it will look but don't want leaks or mold under my vision. Lol
Old 12-07-2017, 08:46 PM   #28
Granny Grunt

Oh and Argile, it doesn't have to be easy but I do want it to be right. I take pride in being able to say "I did that" or "we did that". If you were here doing this job, I would be in the doorway the whole time watching and asking questions, that's how I learn. Had a tile friend start my kitchen one time and he didn't get back soon enough for me so I finished the kitchen into the dining room and the laundry room. I learn a lot by watching and asking.
Old 12-07-2017, 09:07 PM   #29
jlbos83
Really Cool Weekend Warrior

I can imagine the vocabulary. I destroyed an ACL, MCL, some meniscus and basically the whole capsule of my left knee playing soccer in '83. I will never forget the sound, and the pain. I've never understood how athletes can play again after an injury like that! I can't even watch replays of knee injuries!

It's a DRY heat!
jlbos83 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2017, 06:47 AM   #30
Granny Grunt

Oh it made a real nice popping sound. It's a good thing my nephew was here, my left foot was still on a joist and the rest of me was wedged in the floor. Lol when I slid myself out of the bathroom on my butt and tried to stand, OMG I thought the bone was coming out the side of my knee. I'm a pretty stout old gal and of course I was stuck trying to hop on my weaker leg, with the nephew helping,but couldn't do it. Remembered the dollie we used to take the bathtub out and Wahla ! Off to the ER we went.

Stonetooling.com   Tile-Assn.com   National Gypsum Permabase