Ceramic Tile Advice Forums - John Bridge Ceramic Tile

Welcome to John Bridge / Tile Your World, the friendliest DIY Forum on the Internet

Advertiser Directory
JohnBridge.com Home
Buy John Bridge's Books

Go Back   Ceramic Tile Advice Forums - John Bridge Ceramic Tile > Tile & Stone Forums > Tile Forum/Advice Board

Sponsors

Old 11-21-2017, 01:26 PM   #46
cx
da Home-builder -- Moderator-at-Large

I've combined your new thread with your project thread, Wolfgang, so folks can see what you're working on and what's been previously asked and answered. We can give it a more generic title any time you'd like to suggest one.

You can give the VersaBond more time to cure if you want, but the 24 hours is probably sufficient.

My opinion; worth price charged.

Y'ALL NEW VISITORS READ THIS HERE!
cx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2017, 02:00 PM   #47
makethatkerdistick

Thanks, CX. That's reassuring. I'll give it a little longer, probably. Just in case.
Old 11-21-2017, 06:55 PM   #48
makethatkerdistick

Uggh. Just wanted to to change the blade on my Kobalt wet saw. Turns out the Kobalt stock blade is minimally smaller than the DeWalt blade I wanted to put in (and which won't fit in the slot). Arbor size is the same for both blades (5/8) I like the Kobalt but this is a disappointment. Apparently 7 inch and 7 inch isn't the same.
Old 11-21-2017, 06:58 PM   #49
Tool Guy - Kg
Moderator -- Wisconsin Kitchen & Bath Remodeler

There isn't a height adjustment to the head?

Old 11-23-2017, 09:00 PM   #50
makethatkerdistick

Tool Guy, yes the head can do plunge cuts and miter cuts I am puzzled as the housing for the blade doesn't accommodate the DeWalt blade. I'll take it back to Lowe's and see what my options are. The Kobalt branded blades are pretty decent, too. I could live with them.

CX, could you rename this thread "Wolfgang's bathroom remodel"? That would be more appropriate.
Old 11-23-2017, 09:05 PM   #51
makethatkerdistick

Here are two tile questions I have for you pros:

1. I am looking for sanded grout for 3/16 floor tile. What brand do you like the best? I want something that is extremely mold and dirt resistant. My store options are Lowe's, Home Depot and Floor & Decor. Anything reasonable to be had there? I am willing to pay the price for a premium product.

2. I bought this porcelain tile for my shower walls. It has a cracked ice pattern between the porcelain back and the finish glaze. The pattern is encased. Somewhere I've read that such tiles can grow mold inside. Obviously, that would only apply to the ones that are cut as it opens up the cracked ice layer through a cross section. Is this a real-world problem or am I overthinking this?

https://www.flooranddecor.com/tile-d...irloom&start=3

Thanks for your great helpful advice!
Old 11-23-2017, 09:13 PM   #52
Houston Remodeler
Pondering retirement daily

STAR Senior Contributor

1-Fusion Pro or Flexcolor CQ

2- Does the crackle go through the top layer or an under layer only?

For when DIY isn't such a good idea...
Houston TX area Kitchen & Bath Remodeling

http://CabotAndRowe.com
Houston Remodeler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2017, 09:29 PM   #53
makethatkerdistick

It's a separate layer below the final smooth glaze.
Old 11-25-2017, 10:06 PM   #54
makethatkerdistick

I have decided to use the Schluter profile system to dress my shower curb and probably also my niche.

Currently, I am leaning towards their stainless steel profiles. I am just a bit skeptical with regards to aluminum for what could be decades of use in a very moisture sensitive environment.

I have a Kohler shower sliding door in a tub surround that has developed two bare spots on the frame where corrosion is happening. It might be slow but it is annoying.

Is there a true purpose for using aluminum in such areas other than cost savings?

Anyway, in one of Schluter's training videos one is advised to leave a 1/16 inch gap between the tile and the profile when using stainless steel but not aluminum. Does anyone know why this is? Is it a function of different expansion/contraction rates? I am puzzled.
Old 11-25-2017, 10:14 PM   #55
Gozo

The aluminum profile has a grout spacer flange built in while the stainless does not so you need to put the space in there when installing. I just finished my shower with aluminum Schluter trim and I’ll let you know how it does corrosion wise 10 years down the road. I asked the same question on the aluminum on corrosion vs. the PVC for cracking and never got a response.
Old 11-27-2017, 09:37 PM   #56
makethatkerdistick

Ok, that's good to know. I am sure your aluminum will be fine. We've got hard water here with lots of deposits. I will play it safe with stainless.
Old 12-03-2017, 11:16 PM   #57
makethatkerdistick

Schluter Rondec vs Quadec

I am trying to decide between those two profiles to use for my shower to a.) terminate tiled surface and create a transition and to b.) dress my neo-angle shower curb for good looks and to avoid mitered tile cuts on the curb and c.) to frame my shower niche.

I am determined to get the stainless steel version. Home Depot seems to have pretty competitive pricing online. It seems that 8 1/2 ft profiles are approx. $46 in my desired thickness.

What befuddles me, though, is that the outside 90 deg. corner pieces are priced out of this world (at approx. $30 each).

Do you have any tips? I am willing to afford the profile in stainless but I am not willing to pay a ransom for those tiny corner pieces. I suppose I could do mitered cuts to the Rondec to avoid buying the corner pieces?

Looking forward to your input. If this is inappropriate as a separate thread, moderators, please move into my bathroom remodel thread, please. However, since this is very specific, I thought I might get more attention posting this separately.

So, any Schluter profile experts. Fire away! And no, I just don't want the anodized aluminum. We've got hard water, and I don't trust it enough. Color me silly!
Old 12-07-2017, 12:30 PM   #58
makethatkerdistick

Question about installing Kerdi drain grate:

My floor tile is a 2 1/8 x 2 1/8 mosaic with 1/8 grout lines. The Kerdi grate is designed to fit 2x2. I have a thus an excess of 1/8 to fill on each of the four sides.

Should I....

a.) do wider grout lines encircling the drain grate (1/4 in on each side around the grate) and have the Kerdi drain perfectly centered within the four-tile cutout of my mosaic

OR

b.) make 1/4 in sliver cuts for two of the four sides to maintain 1/8 in grout lines all around the Kerdi grate and have the drain appear to be slightly off-center within the four-tile cutout in my mosaic?

What do you think will look better?
Old 12-07-2017, 01:35 PM   #59
wwhitney

A few more options, not recommending them, just brainstorming:

a) center the grate on a grout line intersection, 4 tiles each lose a square out of the corner.

b) same as (a) but turn the grate 45 degrees, 4 tiles each lose a triangle at the corner.

Cheers, Wayne
Old 12-07-2017, 02:24 PM   #60
MisterJJ

I have the exact same size tiles for the floor (Arizona Tile?). I'm looking at the same issue as well except a little different because I'm trying to make the removable tile drain work, which assumes a single 4" square tile.

The 45° might work for me too, but I'm not sure how I feel about the look. I modeled it up. Drain size shown is 4" square so the gaps you see for my design would be grout lines for you.
Attached Images

Stonetooling.com   Tile-Assn.com   National Gypsum Permabase