Ceramic Tile Advice Forums - John Bridge Ceramic Tile

Welcome to John Bridge / Tile Your World, the friendliest DIY Forum on the Internet

Advertiser Directory
JohnBridge.com Home
Buy John Bridge's Books

Go Back   Ceramic Tile Advice Forums - John Bridge Ceramic Tile > Tile & Stone Forums > Tile Forum/Advice Board

Sponsors

Old 10-29-2017, 06:09 AM   #31
B-master

I canít make out what the tile setter in the YouTube video titled "Hints to install Kerdi on drywall " is saying at 3:50. Sounds like, ''were not going to worry about not having enough thinset on the wall''. If that's what he really said, I hope he means he did not go thru the trouble of spreading the thinset over an area equal to or larger than the membrane to keep the clipís runtime short.

In addition, why was there no emphasis on ''burning-in'' the thinset using the flat edge of the trowel before reapplying more product with the notched side? I thought burning-in was a distinction of excellence in a pro's methodology?

Also - he demonstrates not applying too much pressure with his blade to remove air pockets - to the point where he is not even squeezing thinset out the Kerdi edges. Yet - the manufacturer's film clips seem to encourage squeezing thinset out - as if that's proof that adequate pressure was applied to bond the Kerdi as well as eject air bubbles.

john bridge is mentioned at the clip's start, otherwise I would not have written this entry. So, I am thinking the videoís creator may read this post and explain.
Old 10-29-2017, 09:30 AM   #32
Redlands Okie

Schuleter reps at training classes have made remarks about various incorrect U tube videos of their products. Wrong info of some kind in a great many of them. If its not a manufacture presented video then do not use it for info......
Old 10-29-2017, 09:40 AM   #33
cx
da Home-builder -- Moderator-at-Large

Frank, if you'll post a link to the particular video you're referencing it'll ensure that we're all commenting on the same demonstration.

Y'ALL NEW VISITORS READ THIS HERE!
cx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2017, 12:41 PM   #34
tatumjonj

Yeah, took two seconds to find.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WxsjvuGEnW0

Last edited by tatumjonj; 10-29-2017 at 12:50 PM.
tatumjonj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2017, 12:49 PM   #35
tatumjonj

I'm almost positive that's HoustonRemodeler here on the forums, BTW. You probably want to tread lightly on calling out his work. Like explaining to Tony Gwynn that he's not hitting the baseball properly.
Old 10-29-2017, 12:57 PM   #36
tatumjonj

I believe when he says he didn't put enought thinset on the wall, he's referring to not have enough width of thinset because of the tight dimensions of his test board. As far as him not pressing super hard, it looks like he mixed his thinset very loose. If you keep your thinset loose, you don't have to use all your might to get it properly adhered and flat. Most people don't mix their thinset anywhere loose enough, which is why you see so many problems on the board with lumps and tiger stripes and Kerdi not sticking well to the substrate.
Old 10-29-2017, 01:45 PM   #37
cx
da Home-builder -- Moderator-at-Large

I had no trouble finding that video, Jon, if it's the one Frank was alluding to. I prefer not guessing at things like that.

Y'ALL NEW VISITORS READ THIS HERE!
cx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2017, 03:51 AM   #38
B-master

FYI I used my diamond blade angle grinder to remove sticker adhesive from my HardieBacker. Naturally, the HardieBacker ‘skin’ came off as well. Before I filled it in with thinset, I sprayed it with water. I COULD NOT BELIEVE HOW FAST THE MATERIAL ABSORBED THE WATER!!!!
Old 10-30-2017, 06:11 PM   #39
makethatkerdistick

Frank, let us know what technique you will use to attach the Kerdi and the final result of this.
Me, having been largely successful the second time around, I still ended up with a few unattached spots despite the primer. They were tiny, though, but I still diligently filled them in and patched them up. Note that during installation I pulled back the Kerdi and had 100% coverage on the Kerdi. At this point I am confident about tiling the area.

As much as I want to love the Kerdi without reservations, I feel like it's not a product one can just grab and apply after watching a few videos. It takes a bit of time and experience for sure. I've seen claims by Schluter of a "shower in less than three hours." Unless one does this on a regular basis as an experienced professional, this is utter nonsense even for the more talented DIYer.
Old 11-05-2017, 05:31 AM   #40
B-master

Wolfgang - i am pretty good with a hawk and broadknife when i tape drywall. I am also a decent paperhanger.That's what gives me the confidence to apply kerdi membrane. I need to give this more thought, however, before I pull the trigger. Save the cost of an extra day's labor with my tile pro, or take the chance myself?
Old 11-05-2017, 06:15 AM   #41
jondon
Hershey Pennsylvania Tile Contractor

Send a message via AIM to jondon
They say the best kerdi hangers are paperhangers, basically the same con-cept you are using thinset but not as though you would with tile.

Jon Donmoyer

JD Tile

CTEF Certified Installer #825

Custom Tile Installation in Hershey & surrounding areas

Serving Dauphin, Lebanon, Berks, Chester, & Montgomery Counties PA
jondon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2017, 04:49 AM   #42
B-master

I chickened out and had my tile guy install the kerdi membrane. But i primed the CBU a couple days beforehand. i tried to peel the kerdi back 2 days after it was applied and it was rock solid. BTW....Wolfgang - where did you see that the Schluter warranty would be void if a primer is used?
Old 11-19-2017, 03:49 PM   #43
tatumjonj

Quote:
As much as I want to love the Kerdi without reservations, I feel like it's not a product one can just grab and apply after watching a few videos. It takes a bit of time and experience for sure. I've seen claims by Schluter of a "shower in less than three hours." Unless one does this on a regular basis as an experienced professional, this is utter nonsense even for the more talented DIYer.
Keep in mind, it's much easier if you follow the recommendation of applying it to regular drywall.
Old 11-19-2017, 04:56 PM   #44
mullet
░░░░░░░

Sorry didn't read the whole thread. BUT I did a shower with Hardi and Kerdi and I watched a lot of videos. Here is my thread if it helps HERE.

I had ups and downs as well as you will see in the thread but I was able to get the Kerdi up with little problems and didn't really have any tiger stripping to speak of. I did use a primer on the walls before starting to slow down the Hardi sucking all the moisture out while trying to install the Kerdi. Don't let anything whip you, never give up! This website has the best tile guys and they know what they are doing, FACT!

These are the videos that I watched over and over and over. I did almost the exact method this guy used from the thinness of the thinset to the Sheetrock tapping knife, I even rounded the corners off and sanded the edges so they wouldn't tear the kerdi, the knife slid over the kerdi with ease and never caught it or tore it. I am not expert but I am happy with my shower still going on 3 years.

Watch all the videos.

Old 11-21-2017, 12:27 PM   #45
makethatkerdistick

Kerabond vs. Versabond with Ditra

Hello all,
First time tiler here. I've been working diligently to tile my bathroom/vanity floor area with large format porcelain tiles (12x24). So far, I am happy. I am installing on Ditra over concrete slab. As I am starting on the final third of my project, I realize that I might run out of the Kerabond.

Getting Kerabond involves a two-hour drive. Would I be ok to install the remaining three or so tiles with Versabond? From what I've read, people here find it acceptable. If so, what curing time do you suggest? I've been giving the Kerabond 24 hours. Would I be well-advised to leave the Versabond alone for 48 hours? Time is not a problem here. I am in no rush.

Stonetooling.com   Tile-Assn.com   National Gypsum Permabase