Ceramic Tile Advice Forums - John Bridge Ceramic Tile

Welcome to John Bridge / Tile Your World, the friendliest DIY Forum on the Internet

Advertiser Directory
JohnBridge.com Home
Buy John Bridge's Books

Go Back   Ceramic Tile Advice Forums - John Bridge Ceramic Tile > Tile & Stone Forums > Professionals' Hangout

Sponsors

Old 11-16-2017, 07:47 PM   #1
Lou_MA

Kerdi drain not fully seated - acceptable?

Installed a Kerdi drain and mud pan today, and when dry fitting the drain, noticed that it didn't seat fully on the riser.

I thought "no big deal" and figured when I primed and glued the connections, it would bottom out. Did my normal approach to setting drain - loose mud up to drain hole, butter the underside of the drain flange with thinset, prime and glue both ends of connection, set and twist.

Turns out the drain still didn't seat fully (every time I pushed down further, the whole drain / plumbing assembly just bounced) but now, the glue had had gone off. Took my chances and finished packing the pan, but now I'm having second thoughts.

The drain is 1/4" away from being fully seated which - by examining another drain - means there's about 9/16" of a glued connection.

Will a flood test indicate whether the connection is good? Any consensus on whether to leave or replace? The riser itself is basically a coupling and a few short lengths of pipe, so I don't think I'd be able to get a clean cut with enough reusable length left.

Probably the 100% technically correct answer would be to remove and replace. Posting in this forum to see if this would fall in other pros margin of error.
Old 11-16-2017, 08:39 PM   #2
Kman

Flood test it, shouldn't take much water to tell you.

I've seen plumbers glob more cement around leaky fittings and they hold just fine under air pressure tests.

Fortunately, there's very little pressure on the fittings from water draining out, so you should be okay.

The top ten reasons to procrastinate:

Kman is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2017, 08:33 AM   #3
Eschbach
Tile Contractor-Virginia

That drain will be fine.No worries

Virginia Installer of Schluter Kerdi and Kerdi Board Waterproof Showers

Excellence is no accident
Eschbach is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2017, 05:38 PM   #4
Lou_MA

Thanks guys, appreciate the replies