Ceramic Tile Advice Forums - John Bridge Ceramic Tile

Welcome to John Bridge / Tile Your World, the friendliest DIY Forum on the Internet

Advertiser Directory
JohnBridge.com Home
Buy John Bridge's Books

Go Back   Ceramic Tile Advice Forums - John Bridge Ceramic Tile > Tile & Stone Forums > Tile Forum/Advice Board

Sponsors

Old 11-16-2017, 07:38 PM   #1
mark999

residential steamer questions

Is 2" per ft. correct for ceiling slope?

I plan on putting 4 mill plastic on the studs then durock .Correct tape and thinset on all joints,dry over nite and then liquid membane using a film gauge. The pan liner is installed.

Is all this correct? and am I missing anything.

Thanks Mark

Last edited by mark999; 11-16-2017 at 09:18 PM. Reason: change title
mark999 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 11-16-2017, 10:27 PM   #2
Houston Remodeler
Pondering retirement daily

STAR Senior Contributor

the slope is correct, but some homeowners elect to skip the ceiling slope as they aren't in the steamer long enough to collect water on the ceiling.

While that method may work, You'll have trouble at the penetrations. A surface applied membrane would be superior IMHO

For when DIY isn't such a good idea...
Houston TX area Kitchen & Bath Remodeling

http://CabotAndRowe.com
Houston Remodeler is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2017, 11:19 PM   #3
Kman

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark
and then liquid membane using a film gauge.
Do you mean something other than what is indicated above, Paul?

The top ten reasons to procrastinate:

Kman is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2017, 05:27 AM   #4
Karls tile Inc
Tile and stone contractor Tile setter

I believe you should be using a sheet applied waterproofing since you are trying to control vapor.

Karlstile.com
Karls tile Inc is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2017, 06:19 AM   #5
mark999

Thanks for the replies.

Couple more questions.1) For penatrations can I use mixing valve and pipe seals?

2) How do I seal around light fixtures?

3)Looking at a diagram they show a "slip joint" at the wall to ceiling joint. How is this slip joint done?
Old 11-17-2017, 03:10 PM   #6
Tool Guy - Kg
Moderator -- Wisconsin Kitchen & Bath Remodeler

Mark, there are liquid applied membranes that are rated for use in a residential steam shower. But you must follow all their directions precisely. Sheet membranes are typically a higher performing product, hence the suggestion to use it. Can you tell us which system you're planning to use?

Also, is the light fixture you're planning to use meant to be used in an extreme environment like a steam shower?

Old 11-17-2017, 05:00 PM   #7
Houston Remodeler
Pondering retirement daily

STAR Senior Contributor

Add one vote for a sheet membrane

For when DIY isn't such a good idea...
Houston TX area Kitchen & Bath Remodeling

http://CabotAndRowe.com
Houston Remodeler is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2017, 05:44 PM   #8
mark999

Tonto: After durock is taped with thinset and ar tape the plan is to use redguard per written pdf which shows diluted primr coat and 2 coats at 30 mill wet for a perm rating of .35.for steam shower Will talk to cintractor about the light fixtures.

Laticrete tech support sent me 2 diagrams showing details for ceiling walls and floor. One used their sheet membrane on the ceement board . The other one shows what they call"vapor diffusion retarder" on the framing and then a liquid membrane on the ceement board.

I prefer liquid membranes over sheets esp on ceilings with the exception of mud bed shower floors and up the walls about 18 " then liquid down to that and then seam tape that transition.

So am I reading everything correctly and I can use the redguad?
Another question: There are 4 niches in this shower. Since the plastic on the studs gets cut out to acccess the niches what do I do there ? I have access to laticrete hydrobab sheet membrane if thats what needed.
Old 11-17-2017, 07:13 PM   #9
cx
da Home-builder -- Moderator-at-Large

Mark, if your direct bonded waterproofing membrane has a perm rating of less than 0.5 perms, why are you using a moisture barrier behind your wallboard?

I've asked Custom more than once for a copy of the lab report showing that perm rating for RedGard, but have never seen a copy. Seems it's the only liquid-applied membrane that has been able to achieve such results.

Have you ever actually applied a liquid-applied direct bonded waterproofing membrane at a thickness of 30 wet mils? That is a lot of pookey to get on a wall in one coat using any application method.

The "slip joint" can be easily made using a sheet membrane by simply tucking a bit of a "wedgie" into the gap between the backing material panels. Not sure how a fella would do that with a liquid-applied.

My opinion; worth price charged.

Y'ALL NEW VISITORS READ THIS HERE!
cx is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2017, 09:10 PM   #10
mark999

CX

I got overloaded with info from custom and laticrete. Laticrete sent me a drawing showing what they call a vapor diffusion retarder and then their data sheet for liquid hydroban says steam room "wheni used in conjuction with a vapor barrier. Decided to go with the red guard because their claim of .35 perm rating but I installed plastic behind the ceement board.The plastic laps over the pvc pan but is not sealed at the bottom. If any moisture got past the redguard which it should not I would think if it reached the platic it would go into the mud bed.

What do think I should do with the niches?

I am not claiming to know what is right. I am just looking for some advise. As you can tell this is my first steam shower.

Thanks Mark
Old 11-17-2017, 09:13 PM   #11
Tool Guy - Kg

Exactly how far are you into this project? Perhaps a picture?

Old 11-17-2017, 09:22 PM   #12
mark999

Tonto

All the ceement board is up and the stall floor is done. Next step was to tape and thinset seams tomorrow in preperation for the red guard. Have not got the right widget to transfer pics from phone to compooter.
Old 11-17-2017, 10:26 PM   #13
Tool Guy - Kg

And is your pan liner for the curb buried under a mudded curb? Or was cement board fasted to the curb?

Old 11-18-2017, 08:22 AM   #14
mark999

Pan liner up over and down with dam corners,nails on outside only,and then wire lath and mud.
Still trying to find answers about sealing light fixtures and penatrations.

Davy said I would have a hard time with a liquid membrane but I thought I could use the schluter pipe seals like I always use.

And how do you guys deal with outside corners? I do not like corner bead because it bumps out and mesh tape and thinset is hard to work with in that situation. With 4 niches that is a lot of corners.
Old 11-18-2017, 05:50 PM   #15
Tool Guy - Kg

I'm going to ask for a little clarification here.

So far, you've: put plastic on the studs, are using a pan liner with a clamping drain, and cement board on the walls. As of this point within the construction, you're employing the most common method used for building a regular shower for the past few decades. Yet, you want a steamer, so your plan is to apply RedGard over (everything?) to contain the steam. You've already got a clash with the layer of plastic you've installed behind the cement board. And from the brief description, I think you've got a standard 3-piece clamping drain. Yet...how are you going to tie your RedGard waterproofing layer to the drain? Are you going to use the divot method? Or perhaps you thought you'd leave the pan alone since you've got a liner under there? Or ???

Do you have something against just sticking with one manufacturer's steam shower building system? I ask because it sounds like you've got about 3 different methods going on at the same time.

Stonetooling.com   Tile-Assn.com   National Gypsum Permabase