Ceramic Tile Advice Forums - John Bridge Ceramic Tile

Welcome to John Bridge / Tile Your World, the friendliest DIY Forum on the Internet

Advertiser Directory
JohnBridge.com Home
Buy John Bridge's Books

Go Back   Ceramic Tile Advice Forums - John Bridge Ceramic Tile > Tile & Stone Forums > Tile Forum/Advice Board

Sponsors

Old 11-08-2017, 10:10 AM   #1
Frank1978

Shower Pan for Large Area

I'm looking to build a walk in shower with a free standing tub in the same area. It will be a 5x5 ft wet area. How do you build or buy a shower pan that's 5ft x 5ft and have it sloping toward one drain. I'm open to having it slope one way to linear grid drain. Any ideas?
Old 11-08-2017, 11:05 AM   #2
Davy
Moderator -- Mud Man

A couple questions;

1. You said a walk in shower. Are you planning on a curbless design?

2. If so, is the shower area lower than the bath floor?

3. Is this on a concrete slab or a wood sub floor?

Depending on the tub type and if you plan on having a tub deck, sometimes it's a problem setting a tub inside a shower. Especially sealing around the tub drain and water pipes.

A pic or two would probably help us out.

www.davystephenstile.com
Davy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2017, 03:19 PM   #3
Frank1978

Yes I was hoping for a curbless shower. I want the shower area flush with the bath floor. Water drains to the linear drain and none makes it out of the wet area due to the slope of that area. That's what I'm hoping to achieve at least.

It is a plywood sub floor.

I can see problems arising with sealing around the tub drain because how do you make a seal that will last 20+ years around an abs or pvc pipe.

Don't have any pics yet as I haven't taken possession of the house yet. It was built in 1978 and I don't think anyone has remodeled in all that time. It's going to be a gut job and I'm planning it out beforehand.
Old 11-08-2017, 03:27 PM   #4
rmckee84

Pretty easy if youre doing a gut. You can set the drain at a back wall or the entrance to the shower using a linear drain and having the floor pitch that direction. Wedi, schluter, and laticrete plus others have premade pans. Packing your own would be just as easy.

Not sure I follow what you mean by sealing around a tub drain.
rmckee84 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2017, 09:29 PM   #5
Davy
Moderator -- Mud Man

I believe he's talking about setting the tub inside the pan liner. Gonna be tough getting the tub drain connected. I would set the tub behind the shower and make a tub deck. Run the liner (or other waterproofing) up the face of the tub deck on that end. I just don't see how you will get a tub and shower within a 5x5 area.

www.davystephenstile.com
Old 11-08-2017, 11:23 PM   #6
Frank1978

I checked my measurements and the bathroom is 7x10 ft. Hoping to us 7x5ft for the shower/tub area and then the remainder for a toilet and a hanging vanity. Sounds really crowded. If anything we'll lose the tub. Afraid that the home loses value without a tub on the main floor.

Basement shower may have the space for the shower/tub wet area and both your great ideas will help. Problem will be with the floor being concrete. No moving the drain and forget the no curb idea. Flushing up the two areas would be tough.

Thanks for the shower pan product names and where to place the drain. Going to look those up.

Love the raised deck to keep the tub area waterproofed

I would never have figured out those tips on my own. Really can't beat experience.
Old 11-09-2017, 02:27 PM   #7
BruceL

There aren't actually many pics in my thread (http://www.johnbridge.com/vbulletin/...6&postcount=11) I should fix that. But the one in that post I linked to you can see my approach to this problem. The shower+tub space is 7'x5.5'. 3' wide tub. There's a framed apron with kerdi-board on it in front of the tub. I tiled everything above the lower accent strip (and above the tub), then built the shower pan.

I wouldn't hesitate to do the same thing in a 7'x5' space. Especially standing in it now that I've built it, it's quite large.

Bruce
Old 11-09-2017, 08:38 PM   #8
Davy
Moderator -- Mud Man

Here is a pic of one I might be tiling in the near future. The last I heard, the homeowner now wants it to be a curbless.
Attached Images

www.davystephenstile.com
Old 11-13-2017, 06:50 PM   #9
Frank1978

Both projects look great. Bruce, when you tile up the apron on the tub what did you use to cover the top of the kerdi board. So between the tile and the tub you have this half inch thickness of the kerdi board, what did you use to cover that up.

Davy, is there a pre slope under that shower pan liner

Was looking into Laticrete products and it was $930usd for the linear shower pan whereas Schulter has it for like $300can. How does Laticrete stay in business with crazy prices like that
Old 12-14-2017, 02:43 PM   #10
germain

Hi Frank

Laticrete prices do seem more reasonable however with their drains, you gotta use their water proofing systems (Keri I think it's called).

I just got a quote for Inifinity Linear Drains:

OPTION A: FXTIF 65
9' LENGTH-Custom Fabrication in Polished Stainless = $2767
5' LENGTH Stock - $767.50

OPTION B: STIFAS 65
9' LENGTH Stock $2176
5' LENGTH - Stock Complete Kit for the Tile Insert 65 in All Polished Stainless - $834

I need a 5' and 9' length. Prices are CRAZYYYYY right?!
Old 12-14-2017, 03:47 PM   #11
Davy
Moderator -- Mud Man

Sorry Frank, I missed your last question. I don't know if there's a preslope under that pan. This is the pic that the contractor sent me after the plumber was finished with it. I probably won't be doing the job, I haven't heard back from them.

Germain, yes linear drains are expensive. I've never installed a 9 ft drain.

www.davystephenstile.com

Stonetooling.com   Tile-Assn.com   National Gypsum Permabase