Ceramic Tile Advice Forums - John Bridge Ceramic Tile

Welcome to John Bridge / Tile Your World, the friendliest DIY Forum on the Internet

Advertiser Directory
JohnBridge.com Home
Buy John Bridge's Books

Go Back   Ceramic Tile Advice Forums - John Bridge Ceramic Tile > Tile & Stone Forums > Tile Forum/Advice Board

Sponsors

Old 11-10-2017, 10:12 AM   #16
jacks

Travis, that is a very good idea! It's been awhile since I worked with bondo, but it does seem to be a similar consistency from what I recall. Thanks!
Old 11-10-2017, 10:14 AM   #17
jacks

I finally got a hold of my handyman who is also an inspector. He seems to think that the vapor barrier could indeed create a moisture problem. So I am going to bypass the moisture barrier.
Old 11-10-2017, 10:23 AM   #18
MisterJJ

Q: What can I use to fill this void?
A: Alcohol

Sounds like you want something not too hard but not too flexible either. Maybe construction adhesive would be a good balance. Or go full redneck and use hot melt glue.
Old 11-10-2017, 10:40 AM   #19
jacks

lol

contruction adhesive or plaster of paris would probably easier to get down in there than say bondo or a non shrinking grout. It has to go in after, so it would be nice if is was something at least semi pourable or "squeezable" like adhesive in a caulk tube.
Old 11-10-2017, 01:20 PM   #20
Kman

I see a row of nails right by the shower, can you tell by pushing down on it if there is framing underneath that edge, or do the sleepers run perpendicular to the tub, and the edge of the plywood is supported only at the sleepers, allowing for flex in between?

Still wondering how big the gap is.

The top ten reasons to procrastinate:

Kman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2017, 01:32 PM   #21
jacks

All of the subfloor and framing is gone now. But the sleepers did run with the tub not perpendicular to it. But there was still a gap all the way down. In the first picture you can see how deep that white stuff went. If I hadn't just flopped over on the bed exhausted I would go measure that piece but I would say it is just under a 1/4 inch thick.

So yeah, there is going to be some support when I reinstall those sleepers but well also be a bit tiny bit of gap. I would also guess it was put there to help keep moisture out of that crack as well as some support to the bottom edge of the fiberglass.
Old 11-14-2017, 02:43 PM   #22
jacks

Once I got the new sleeper joists, subfloor and underlayment back into place, it was really easy to see why they put that stuff in there. If it wasn't there, when I go to caulk next to the shower, all of the caulk would just fall down into that crack and keep falling and falling. Eventually I guess it would have all filled up with caulk, but the plaster of paris poured right in there and once the floor is in, I can just run my bead of caulk between the floor and shower like normal.

Hoping to actually start installing the floor tomorrow. Today was painting and prepping the underlayment day.

This is my first experience with a sleeper joist floor. I had no idea what all of that looked under there, just that I knew we were not on the cement. I tell ya, putting that subfloor in had to be almost as hard as building the rest of the house!

We ended up with one of those nail guns that uses the .22 casings to shoot the nail through the stud into the cement. We will probably never use it again but at $99 (plus nails and casings) it is has to be one of the best tools we have ever picked up for a project like this. Took about 1/2 hour and a couple of tubes of construction adhesive and all the joists were in.

(PS I let mr. jacks shoot the nails in!)
Old 11-14-2017, 07:36 PM   #23
Redlands Okie

Good to see you got a plan made and moving along with it. Seems all is working out ok. Should be enjoyable when your done and looking at the project
Old 12-07-2017, 12:22 PM   #24
jacks

I finished this and I think it worked out ok for a basement bath. The tile doesn't go with the shower quite as well as I thought it would and the matching caulk is really the color that I wanted the grout to be too, but the grout ended up lighter. I am quite sure I did not use too much water. Anyway, FWIW, here is how it came out. First picture is what it looked like before I started.
Attached Images

Stonetooling.com   Tile-Assn.com   National Gypsum Permabase