Ceramic Tile Advice Forums - John Bridge Ceramic Tile

Welcome to John Bridge / Tile Your World, the friendliest DIY Forum on the Internet

Advertiser Directory
JohnBridge.com Home
Buy John Bridge's Books

Go Back   Ceramic Tile Advice Forums - John Bridge Ceramic Tile > Tile & Stone Forums > Cleaning, Restoration and Sealing

Sponsors

Old 10-30-2017, 03:06 PM   #1
SadieHawkins

Mexican tile floor restoration

I admit I'm trying to get out of work here. I've cleaned these old Mexican tiles, which appear to have been painted and sealed. In some places there are swishes of what look like yellowed sealant. The grout is sealed, sealed, sealed.

My question. Do I have to strip if I use a primer, like Zinsser Bulls Eye water-based primer, paint with Behr's Porch and Patio paint, and then finish with a satin seal?

I hate stripping because of the fumes for my small animals.

Thanks,
Karen
Old 10-30-2017, 05:00 PM   #2
cx
da Home-builder -- Moderator-at-Large

Welcome, Karen.

Might help some if you'd post a photo or two of your floor (I'm guessing this is floor tile?). Use the paper-clip icon to attach photos from storage on your computer.

Whether you can successfully paint over what you've got is gonna depend primarily upon what you've got. Lots of different ways to seal tile and grout. Do you have any idea what kind of product(s) has been used on your tiles and grout?

Y'ALL NEW VISITORS READ THIS HERE!
cx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2017, 09:28 PM   #3
Tool Guy - Kg
Moderator -- Wisconsin Kitchen & Bath Remodeler

Karen,

If you're going to paint, you only need to strip the sealer if it's going to inhibit the bond of whatever paint you're going to use. And there are plenty of sealers that are wax or other soft material that would be inappropriate to paint over. But that's the $20,000 question: what do you have for a sealer? The fact that every Tom, Dick, and Harry uses something different to "seal" their tiles makes for more questions than answers. Like CX asked, do you have any idea of what you've got?

Stonetooling.com   Tile-Assn.com   National Gypsum Permabase