Ceramic Tile Advice Forums - John Bridge Ceramic Tile

Welcome to John Bridge / Tile Your World, the friendliest DIY Forum on the Internet

Advertiser Directory
JohnBridge.com Home
Buy John Bridge's Books

Go Back   Ceramic Tile Advice Forums - John Bridge Ceramic Tile > Tile & Stone Forums > The Mud Box

Sponsors

Old 10-29-2017, 08:32 PM   #16
smifwal

yeah that cart area looks pretty bad. we move carts with the loaders or the plows. no contracts I sub from a company that pays by the route per push or salt. but I don't have to plow or salt unless I am covering one of my own trucks, or if things have went to hell in a handbag. Mostly I just drive around and make sure people are where they are supposed to be. I bill most of my trucks by the hour and the others have routes. for salt most of the time it only takes them a couple of hours then they sit around and wait for a breakdown or drive around and look at properties for me. We have a lot of big grocery stores and some hospitals. We also do the shopping center next to kansas speedway. There is bundle of equipment there. No national stuff. we have salt depots in each zone with a loader so minimal drive time to get salt. No getting out what so ever just roll up show the guy your salt number and show him how many scoops you want, you don't even have to roll your window if you didn't want. when I was routed I would write it in big letters with a sharpie and just slap it up on the window. I have a drone this year so I hope to get some good pictures and some videos to upload here.
Old 10-30-2017, 06:55 PM   #17
evan1968
Not So Senior Contributor

Drone video! That would be great to see.

Do you or the company you sub for use time and tracking software for the smart phones or tablets? We use this https://www.exaktime.com/?utm_source...ork=g&device=m

Its really efficient. Cuts down on guys screwing around .
When I pull into a property I key in what I'm there to do. I hit GO and start plowing. When I'm done I hit Stop. It then keeps track of travel time between properties. If I go to a property I'm not familiar with I can pull up a satilite view and it shows me where to push the piles or any notes pertaining to the property like special services or open and close times. All that gets downloaded to the main office and automatically bills the customer. It's great when a customer says we were not at his property and we pull up the data for time in and time out. At the end of the month it will give a driver efficiency rating. All our trucks have a GPS module plugged into the trucks computer. It can tell when I'm ideling, braking too hard, accelerating too fast and speeding. It will ,if you ask it, show where my truck drives on a map in real time. Pretty neat stuff. We had a slip and fall claim from a woman saying that there was snow and ice at a certain location ant it was never plowed or salted. We sent our data showing we were at the property plowing 20 min before the incident occurred and salted 10 min before she slipped. Ins company dropped the claim.
It cost about $100k to have the Exak installed and the purchase of all the tablets. When you do $2mil in snow removal it's a drop in the bucket.
evan1968 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2017, 10:50 PM   #18
smifwal

We don't have anything fancy like that. I have a sub that uses something like that for his landscaping company. he loves it. When the guys get their routes they get aerial photos and instructions on where to put snow. The area managers use Ipads and have access to all the properties in their zone and more information than you could ever need. The paper work is unreal. For my routed trucks it is pretty easy I can breeze through it but the hourly trucks I have to put in time in/time out for every where they go. and a area manager report and a salt depot loader log. I can spend a whole day (not paid) putting in times. They are supposed to be changing the system this year so i am hoping it will be better this season.my guys can't remember to write down when they got there and left that program would be wasted on them. as for whether or not we were there I have dash cams in my trucks. I have a video of a guy crashing into me in the middle of a storm. I will upload it to youtube and post the link
Old 10-31-2017, 06:30 AM   #19
evan1968

The shear amount of paperwork is one reason we went all digital. Guys would forget to turn in paperwork, forget to properly write things down or turn in wet crumpled time sheets. It got to be a nightmare for the girls in the office. Payroll and billing got all screwed up. Ins rates went down with the new system.
Still, guys thought they could game the system. They have no clue the trucks were tracked in real time. One guy tried to pawn his tablet.
Old 10-31-2017, 07:44 PM   #20
smifwal

I make all my guys text me when they are done with something so I have a record so when I am billing 5 days later I can remember cause there paperwork skill are lacking, but they sure know how much money I owe them when it comes time for paychecks weird huh? It would be nice to have but we are all subs other than his full time employees so I am sure he won't be getting that. If he did they would half the subs working for us would get fired. here is the video for the dash cam wreck. This A$$hole didn't have insurance.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BjPFYm0bwTA
Old 10-31-2017, 07:51 PM   #21
evan1968

What a d-bag!
He's lucky you didn't put that blade in his front seat with him.
Old 10-31-2017, 08:10 PM   #22
smifwal

I wish it had he tried to leave the scene, that is why the video stops there cause I told the guys with me if this guy runs I am going chase him down and ram him. But in Missouri they have license plates front and back and we knocked his bumper off so he couldn't get the bumper in the truck and take off before we got turned around I couldn't run that truck for 3 days bent the "A" frame on the plow. When he hit us the back in of his truck swung around and hit my rear end so hard that it knocked the drive shaft loose but of course I didn't know that at the time so later that day when I was driving it fell off. talk about a butt puckering moment
Old 11-01-2017, 05:53 AM   #23
evan1968

2 years ago we had one of our trucks hit and kill a guy.

2am, non lit rural road, a black truck broken down half on the road half off the road, no lights, no hazzards. Guy dressed all in black on the driver's side of the truck. Our driver never saw him and got him with the right wing. That was ugly. No charges on our driver.
Old 11-01-2017, 01:40 PM   #24
Jim Farrell Tiler
dont blame me i didnt vote for him

i heard this guy is pretty good........
Attached Images

no matter where you go.......there you are
Jim Farrell Tiler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2017, 03:25 PM   #25
evan1968

That song is the ring tone for my loader operator. Lol
Old 11-09-2017, 05:58 PM   #26
smifwal

got my sidewalk boots ready
Attached Images

Old 11-09-2017, 06:19 PM   #27
evan1968

Lol
We are supposed to be getting 2" overnight. Makes for a nice first salt run.
Old 11-09-2017, 06:39 PM   #28
smifwal

Nice. I talked to the folks at Smith they are working on a freight quote for me for a series VI. I was going to drive up there but 17 hours and $300.00 in fuel 1 way I rather just pay the freight and set some tile instead
Old 11-09-2017, 06:53 PM   #29
evan1968

Nah, not worth the drive. Have them ship it.
Funny hearing about all the Last Minute Larry's scrambling to get ready. Hello people....you have had 7 months to find that hydro pump and replace cutting edges. Winter happens pretty much the same time every year.
Old 11-09-2017, 06:54 PM   #30
evan1968

Attached Images

Stonetooling.com   Tile-Assn.com   National Gypsum Permabase