Ceramic Tile Advice Forums - John Bridge Ceramic Tile

Welcome to John Bridge / Tile Your World, the friendliest DIY Forum on the Internet

Advertiser Directory
JohnBridge.com Home
Buy John Bridge's Books

Go Back   Ceramic Tile Advice Forums - John Bridge Ceramic Tile > Tile & Stone Forums > The Mud Box

Sponsors

Old 02-05-2018, 07:01 PM   #226
smifwal

I fold.
Old 02-06-2018, 09:53 PM   #227
smifwal

well the storm missed us 2 hours north is getting hammered like a bunch of highschool kids on a friday night. As for our accumulation a few days ago. the storm went as well as can be expected with no pretreat and a late start with unexpected amounts of snow fall. I have a pretty solid bunch of guys under me this year I worked with all of them for years before I got the area manager gig. all of them except the jackass from post 181 No that guy has not had all the equipment he is supposed to on out on a single event. this one was last minute everybody was kind of trickling in. I called him at 8:30 to rally the troops at 11:30 I called to ask if he brought both trucks, he said and I quote "no just to short of notice. WHAT it is 3 hours later they could have come in whenever they got here not just don't call them at all especially when you can see that we are getting more than predicted and we are going to be out here for a while. Ok what about your skid? oh one of the tracks is broke we got new tracks we are going to put on monday(we means them cause this guy has no idea how to work on his equipment I have rewired his plow wiring cause wash baffled). so now I am pissed so your guys aren't doing shit, they could be working on your skid and get it out here. well let me call them. calls back oh they both went to iowa. perfect so weather in the forecast no matter how small and your guys go out of town Awesome!!! then he does what he has done every storm left us a bunch of shit to do snow in the wrong places lots that look like the hadn't been salted not prioritizing his lots going to push properties that his only responsible for salting then only plowing half and leaving a mess. He left a parking lot so iced/snow covered that I had to send a skid and 2 plow/salt trucks over to clean up and salt. more hours for everyone else. the other guy love/hate this guy. after all that we were finished then I get a call hey where is that skid you sent over to that iced up lot? his is loading up I say. send him over to the hospital. Ok you need more than one? mine is mobile. hell yeah bring it. super so off to get the skid. I get over there it is in my old zone my old area manager say hey start over there then work your way that way alright cool all this is curb clean up I am working along for a hour or so then a convoy of big boy trucks with gooseneck trailer come rolling in 4 more skids so now we got 6 skids onsite it was like a skid steer rodeo. 3 extra hours on clock, pure detail work real easy teadise stuff . then a extra 30 to load up and get out of there . wash really wishing I had drone for that one but oh well there will be another storm for that. so I call the other guy to tell him were done go ahead and load up were done . He say oh are you here? I said well hell yeah I am here you think I would send a your skid to do extra work and not have mine working also. I think not sir. so about 20 hours on the clock and all I did was drive around looking at stuff and fielding phone calls and putting out fires. which technically is my job I am not supposed to plow or salt unless the world is on ice but I really don't like sitting around and the guys respect me more because I go out and work with them or if they have a break down they know I will come out and fix their equipment or they can take their trucks to my shop to get back up and running. break down were limited to a spreader that sheared off a the bolt that connects the shaft between the gearbox to the drag chain and spinner. another spreader that the battery that wasn't charging so not enough power to engage the clutch and a break line that was leaking like crazy. but we were almost done and had plenty of people to cover. no shows were limited to a fire fighter that was on shift and a guy with a that is in florida making money hand over fist cutting trees from the hurricanes but I knew about both of these prior to the event and obviously the a$$hole above. I a total of 32 hours between the storm clean up service calls and refreeze spot salting the next day. I LOVE THE SNOW $$$$$
Old 02-07-2018, 03:14 AM   #228
evan1968
Not So Senior Contributor

Every company has one of those guys. Mine is the owners nephew.
Sounds like a fun event. I'm getting ready for mine in a few hours.
evan1968 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2018, 06:51 AM   #229
evan1968

Making some room for our 12" today....
Attached Images

Old 02-07-2018, 12:04 PM   #230
evan1968

Well, the intelligence of people continues to baffle me. Take this specimen for example.....
You sir are not going through a 3' high windrow.
Attached Images

Old 02-07-2018, 12:42 PM   #231
smifwal

I hopefully will be getting some time in a big wheel loader like that. We lease a brand new cat wheel loader that there are going to be sticking at FedEx. I have been getting to play with a lot of different skids lately the bobcat t300 a cat 262T a John Deere and a takeuchi. The takeuchi was the smoothest of all of them but the deer had batter balance to lift concrete blocks for the salt depots
Old 02-07-2018, 12:53 PM   #232
smifwal

Hold my beer....
Old 02-07-2018, 01:08 PM   #233
mullet
░░░░░░░

lol
Old 02-08-2018, 02:23 PM   #234
smifwal

this is from the storm that I posted the pictures. I didn't get any video on this last one but we are supposed to get some weather sat so hopefully I will get some more pictures
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0gcefYiPTlc
Old 02-08-2018, 04:57 PM   #235
evan1968

Very cool!
Old 02-08-2018, 04:59 PM   #236
evan1968

Here is a pic that only plow guys can really appreciate. It's like art.
Attached Images

Old 02-08-2018, 05:51 PM   #237
smifwal

Taking up as little space as possible I love it. That pile I posted a couple of days ago started out linear, on a skid property. When I went to get the skid to clean up I rounded the corner and was like are you f-ing kidding me? When the plows do it, it irritates me when the skids do I just want to throat punch them. You got a piece of equipment that will pile snow 10-12 feet high and you don't it just boggles my mind and I want to pull their operator card. Almost all of the guys that I have under me are older than me and some say they have been doing longer than me. But as we all know you might have being doing it wrong your whole life. Sometimes these cats don't want to listen to the "kid". I have had guys tell me I have been plowing longer than you have been driving. My response is normally, well you've been doing it like shit, now tighten it up. Then I get to send them something like this where cars have parked and wouldn't have been able to if they left their trashy piles
Attached Images

Old 02-08-2018, 06:09 PM   #238
evan1968

I hear ya on the spread out push piles. Drives me nuts also.
High and tight is how we like!
Old 02-08-2018, 06:34 PM   #239
smifwal

That's good to hear. I tell these guys that if the clients see a long drawn out pile even if it is out of the way and doesn't affect parking that subconsciously they will think that you took up more space. I swear they look a t me crazy. I tend to over think things but most of the time it was worth it. I drive around the city and I see parking lots with piles everywhere like one push here one push there and think why would you put that there? You pushed the whole drive lane east and west the pushed the entrance north in to the curb past the drive lane you just cleaned. Why didn't you push north and leave the snow in the drive lane and get it all in the east West pass then you would have 1 pile at the end
Old 02-08-2018, 07:02 PM   #240
evan1968

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shawn
I drive around the city and I see parking lots with piles everywhere like one push here one push there and think why would you put that there?
One word- lazy.

We are pretty meticulous about snow placement. We try to keep it out of the way and stacked neatly. Some properties are on the smaller side and you have no choice using up parking spots. Once the piles start really taking up too many spots we offer our services in snow removal. Imagine that!

It's really funny about driving around looking at other companies work. I do it all the time.
The wife and I were shopping one time in a lot we don't do. We parked and I just sat there looking around not getting out of the car. She looked at me and asked what was wrong. I said "nothing, just figuring out how I would plow this lot".
I also size up lots as to the difficulty of plowing. High number of light poles? Bunches of curbed islands scattered about? Speed bumps? Loading docks?

I'm weird like that.

Stonetooling.com   Tile-Assn.com   National Gypsum Permabase