Ceramic Tile Advice Forums - John Bridge Ceramic Tile

Welcome to John Bridge / Tile Your World, the friendliest DIY Forum on the Internet

Advertiser Directory
JohnBridge.com Home
Buy John Bridge's Books

Go Back   Ceramic Tile Advice Forums - John Bridge Ceramic Tile > Tile & Stone Forums > Tile Forum/Advice Board

Sponsors

Old 10-24-2017, 12:22 PM   #31
ihatethinset

Best way to tile outer walls?

I have tiled the back wall of my shower and now need to do this sides. I have a drop ceiling and a curb. I was originally going to put the 2"x6" bullnose tile (all I could find; my tile is 9"x12") directly outside the curb, but I'm not sure now.

My problems are that if I use put the bullnose outside the curb, how high up should I go? Just to the corner of the drop ceiling? Either way, if I put the bullnose so that it lines up with the curb and drop ceiling, or if I put the bullnose on the outside and make my larger tiles line up with the curb and ceiling, I'm going to have to make a straight line between those two points.

Is that the correct way to do it, and then just hope that the inside corner is the same angle? I'm totally lost here and don't know what proper protocol is and how to achieve what I want.
Name:  J7fkpx3.jpg
Views: 109
Size:  12.7 KB
Argh...thanks guys!

Last edited by jgleason; 10-29-2017 at 07:20 PM.
ihatethinset is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2017, 12:38 PM   #32
cx
da Home-builder -- Moderator-at-Large

Don, it'll help if you'll keep all your project questions on one thread so folks can see what you're working on and what's been previously asked and answered. We can give it a more generic title any time you'd like to suggest one.

It'll also help if you'll attach your photos using the paper clip icon above the Reply dialog box so they appear permanently in your thread for folks to see and reference in their replies.

Technically it would be best if both your waterproofing and your tile were to extend past the outside of your curb. If you've elected not to do that, the question becomes purely aesthetic and best answered by Mrs. Don.

My opinion; worth price charged.

Y'ALL NEW VISITORS READ THIS HERE!
cx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2017, 09:18 PM   #33
ihatethinset

Thank you cx. Iíll probably extend it past the curb, seems like thatís the best option. Iím going to try to align the tile with the curb and drop ceiling though. Hopefully that doesnít mess the corner up.
Old 10-30-2017, 04:08 PM   #34
ihatethinset

I have a little shower bench that I don't know how to tile. It is 25"-25.5" wide. My tiles are each 12" wide. What would be the best way to do this? I have the rest of the shower tiled in a 1/2 overlap pattern. Tiles are 9"x12". 1/8" grout lines. Should I do three 8.3" tiles just set one over the other? Should I just do a different tile to give it some accent? I'm lost. Thanks guys.
Attached Images

Old 10-30-2017, 04:30 PM   #35
rmckee84

Can you take a pic a little further back so we can see everything, that might help give perspective.
rmckee84 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2017, 12:25 AM   #36
ihatethinset

Yeah, Iíll definitely get one tomorrow. If you look at the pic I posted above, it kinda gives a bit more info. I wonder if I can just use some tile trim to fill it in a bit and outline the bench. Though Iím not sure how complicated that is.
Old 11-14-2017, 09:06 AM   #37
ihatethinset

Whats the best way to line up the face tile of the curb and the furthest tile on the right of the perpendicular wall so that I can put a bullnose border beyond those? Here's an album of what i'm trying to do. I dont want to link all the pics here because there are several. I put the wood strip there so I could place my first row of tiles on that wall--thats what I'm doing first. I'm just scared it wont all match up. Should I draw a straight level line up from the inward edge of the wood trim?
Old 11-14-2017, 10:02 AM   #38
cx

Quote:
Originally Posted by Don
I dont want to link all the pics here because there are several.
We'd also rather you didn't link to a third party storage site, Don. If you'll attach your photos from storage using the paper-clip icon above the Reply dialog box you can post at least 5 at a time and they'll appear in your post for folks to see and remain there permanently.

Old 12-01-2017, 12:27 PM   #39
ihatethinset

So I need to make a couple circular or even U/square shaped cuts in the tile. I dont have a tile saw. I tried using a dremel with a diamond bit and it didnt seem like it was up to the job at all. Is it necessary to purchase a wet tile saw for me to do this or is there another tool that is less expensive? Thanks a lot!
Old 12-01-2017, 12:57 PM   #40
BruceL

Lowes has a 7Ē table wet saw for $159. I have a hard time imagining doing a shower without at least something like that. (I prefer a sliding saw but my slider wasnít big enough for the 12x24 tiles in my shower, so I got the table saw.)

For round holes look up diamond core/hole saws on amazon. There are a lot of cheap ones. Iím sure they donít last very long, but you donít need 100 holes. I used the rotozip XB-FTC1 bit for non-round holes. Even with that not exactly easy, but with patience and a cup of ice water, it did the job.

Bruce
Old 12-01-2017, 01:12 PM   #41
cx

Depends a lot upon the size, Don. Some you can make with a hole saw, some with an angle grinder, some with a combination of the two. Also depends on how visible the cuts will be.

Old 12-01-2017, 07:29 PM   #42
ihatethinset

It's not going to be visible at all. It'll be for right around the handle and will be covered by the escutcheon. I think probably angle grinder or wet saw is my best bet, as these for the dremel didnt work at all. It specifically has to be a diamond bit, right? Bah...I wanted to get this done today! The rotozip looks really neat and i've heard good things about it as well. Thanks guys.
Old 12-01-2017, 11:06 PM   #43
jadnashua
Veteran DIYer- Schluterville Graduate

STAR Senior Contributor

FWIW, a RotoZip tends to run quite fast and it's really easy to overheat the diamond bit. It's tough keeping things cool with water since the tool is not designed to be wetted like on a wet saw. You'd be surprised at the volume of water used on industrial cutters to keep the tools cool. They can cut amazingly fast.
Not a pro, multiple Schluter Workshops (Schluterville and 2013 and 2014 at Schluter Headquarters), Mapei Training 2014, Laticrete Workshop 2014, Custom Building Products Workshop 2015, and Longtime Forum Participant.
jadnashua is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2017, 04:23 PM   #44
ihatethinset

I legitimately have no idea what I'm doing wrong. I bought this blade and have this angle grinder and it didn't cut through tile "like butter" like the reviews seem to indicate. I'm so frustrated! Is my ceramic tile made of titanium or something?
Old 12-02-2017, 06:01 PM   #45
jadnashua
Veteran DIYer- Schluterville Graduate

STAR Senior Contributor

Some porcelain tile is nearly as hard as diamond. A good diamond blade is called for. Some blades are designed to cut dry, but if it is a wet design, it will quickly become ruined if run dry.
Not a pro, multiple Schluter Workshops (Schluterville and 2013 and 2014 at Schluter Headquarters), Mapei Training 2014, Laticrete Workshop 2014, Custom Building Products Workshop 2015, and Longtime Forum Participant.
jadnashua is offline   Reply With Quote

Stonetooling.com   Tile-Assn.com   National Gypsum Permabase