Ceramic Tile Advice Forums - John Bridge Ceramic Tile

Welcome to John Bridge / Tile Your World, the friendliest DIY Forum on the Internet

Advertiser Directory
JohnBridge.com Home
Buy John Bridge's Books

Go Back   Ceramic Tile Advice Forums - John Bridge Ceramic Tile > Tile & Stone Forums > Tile Forum/Advice Board

Sponsors

Old 09-21-2017, 11:11 AM   #1
kenped86

New home with shower leak

Thank you to everyone who has helped me here in the past. I used this forum to redo my bathroom with a Kerdi walk in shower and learned a lot. That extra knowledge has made me very critical of the shower in my new home after I moved. The home is a new construction that we've lived in for about 2 years and the builder is DR Horton... here in florida they build lots of homes quickly. I noticed a couple things such as grouting the corners where planes meet and now have a good amount of water damage outside the shower. I'm looking for advice on how to best proceed with this damage. I do not know what is underneath. I suspect that the curb may not have enough preslope in, the grout isn't sealed, and I dont know what type of waterproofing is behind the tile. The pictures show the damage on both oustside corners and the inside construction.
Attached Images

Old 09-21-2017, 11:46 AM   #2
Carbidetooth
Hmmmmm

Hi Ken. Having done a Kerdi shower you have some idea of how water should be directed in a shower.

My guess on what's happening? Conventional shower, porous natural stone, no slope on curb. Additionally I imagine; punctures on liner on top of curb causing core to swell and questionable waterproofing technique on walls.

Obviously you've got moisture migrating where it's doing damage and not being directed to drain.

Anything you do short of a demo and rebuild is just putting off the inevitable. Caulking, sealer, et al are not going to fix a thing long term.

A two year old home should have a warranty, no? The sad thing is this is all to common, and the same schlocks who did it originally might be doing repairs. Makes one wonder how good a job they'd do, eh?
Old 09-21-2017, 01:36 PM   #3
Kman

There's not much anyone can do for that shower. It's a lost cause. Make plans to rebuild it, and I'd not use it anymore unless it's absolutely necessary.

Sorry.

The top ten reasons to procrastinate:

Kman is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2017, 05:33 PM   #4
Houston Remodeler
Pondering retirement daily

STAR Senior Contributor

What Kevin said.

For when DIY isn't such a good idea...
Houston TX area Kitchen & Bath Remodeling

http://CabotAndRowe.com
Houston Remodeler is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2017, 07:23 PM   #5
jadnashua
Veteran DIYer- Schluterville Graduate

STAR Senior Contributor

Don't let the builder try to pull the wool over your eyes by saying something like:
- they all leak
- sealer or caulk will fix that
- preslope of the liner isn't required, flat on the floor works just fine
Not a pro, multiple Schluter Workshops (Schluterville and 2013 and 2014 at Schluter Headquarters), Mapei Training 2014, Laticrete Workshop 2014, Custom Building Products Workshop 2015, and Longtime Forum Participant.
jadnashua is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2017, 09:48 AM   #6
kenped86

Thanks. Looks like construction was done using cement board. I am considering opening the drywall inside the closet behind the back wall of the shower to see if I can get a better idea
Name:  1.jpg
Views: 453
Size:  35.0 KB

Name:  2.jpg
Views: 450
Size:  33.8 KB

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk

Last edited by jgleason; 09-30-2017 at 01:33 PM.
kenped86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2017, 12:08 PM   #7
kenped86

My hope is that the problem is simply with the slope of the curb. Could I remove the door, rebuild the curb and hope for the best? This is the water standing inside after a shower and the leakage outside
Name:  1.jpg
Views: 455
Size:  22.0 KB

Views: 458
Size:  25.6 KB

Last edited by jgleason; 09-30-2017 at 01:36 PM.
Old 09-23-2017, 12:48 PM   #8
rmckee84

You can always try, but any repair will be a bandaid at best.
rmckee84 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2017, 01:22 PM   #9
Davy
Moderator -- Mud Man

Yep, what the others said. Ken, most likely it was installed like 99% of the others we see, without a moisture barrier on the walls and the curb not done correctly. Here's a thread that has a pic of the shower I tore out a few weeks ago. It was 17 years old but should have been replaced at least 10 years ago.
http://www.johnbridge.com/vbulletin/...d.php?t=123552

www.davystephenstile.com
Davy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2017, 04:47 PM   #10
kenped86

You guys can tell im trying to avoid the inevitable. I don't know what I did to deserve building my dream shower with kerdi just to sell that home and get handed this wreck disguised in a new home. Opened up the back. Definitely cement board right on the studs with a pvc vinyl pan liner
Name:  1.png
Views: 454
Size:  601.1 KB

Views: 449
Size:  48.4 KB

Last edited by jgleason; 09-30-2017 at 01:44 PM.
Old 09-23-2017, 06:11 PM   #11
rmckee84

Well...at least you know how to build one correctly and had a nice practice run with the last one. I'll bet the next one will be even better...
rmckee84 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2017, 06:47 PM   #12
jadnashua
Veteran DIYer- Schluterville Graduate

STAR Senior Contributor

At least three obvious errors:
- no blocking to help hold the liner between the studs
- no moisture barrier behind the cbu
- improper slope on the curb

And, likely others as well. The more you know about these things, the more you begin to appreciate it when you see one built properly, but they seem to be few and far between.
Not a pro, multiple Schluter Workshops (Schluterville and 2013 and 2014 at Schluter Headquarters), Mapei Training 2014, Laticrete Workshop 2014, Custom Building Products Workshop 2015, and Longtime Forum Participant.
jadnashua is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2017, 10:36 PM   #13
Tool Guy - Kg
Moderator -- Wisconsin Kitchen & Bath Remodeler

The outside of the shower door should NOT be caulked. Add that to the growing list of mistakes. This is a common mistake. If it weren't for the horizontal crack under the curb tiles, I'd make one suggestion at a quick, easy fix.

It has to do with the order of caulking BEFORE the shower door is installed. The joint between the curb tiles and the jamb tiles needs to be caulked before the shower door is installed. Sometimes, this caulking is left until after the shower door is installed...which would normally be a minor mistake. This is a much more critical detail with a shower lined with solid-surface-panels, rather than tile. But, IF.......IF your tiled shower has an achille's heal of an unprotected curb-to-jamb transistion....that is to say, if this critical corner wasn't properly waterproofed with an "outside corner" boot and membrane for this pan liner, you're suseptible to the potentially minor error of not caulking the tiled joint before the shower door installation escalating into a major problem. I suspect both of your curb-to-jamb corners as not being properly waterproofed and the water getting under the tile is swelling the curb studs (creating the horizontal cracking under the curb tiles).

Is it worth a try removing the shower door to see if the curb-to-jamb corner (under the little 1" area of the shower door frame) is uncaulked? Well, you're up against the wall on this shower. You're looking at a complete redo. If it were me and I was looking to be as conservative as possible, I'd carefully remove the shower door. And if it needed caulking, I'd caulk it. Then, re-install the door with caulking ONLY on the inside of the shower door frame. And, of course, the little zig-zag area of the bottom corner of the shower door frame where the bottom curb piece meets the vertical side member. But keep the outside of the shower door frame uncaulked, as is proper. If...if....if...the area in question is the only entry source for moisture getting under the pan liner and into the wall, this quickie fix would buy you time. It wouldn't be permanent. But it may buy you months or years.

Old 09-25-2017, 01:19 PM   #14
Tiger Mountain Tile Inc
tile lackey

Is your home under warranty?

I've worked in a lot of tract homes in the past and know that they go with the lowest prices. The kind of prices that can only be achieved by cutting corners.

Now that I'm in the remodeling business I get a lot of calls from people that buy these homes. This is pretty standard stuff. I bet your neighbors all have these problems also.
Old 09-25-2017, 01:46 PM   #15
kenped86

The builder gave us a one year warranty. It's 2.5 years old. The builder response was "It water seep through unsealed grout. Not warranted." Ha.

I believe the tile subcontractor was Sherwin Williams floorcoverings... Also have major tile cracks forming over all the plumbing lines due to settling without ditra.

Last edited by kenped86; 09-25-2017 at 02:32 PM.

Stonetooling.com   Tile-Assn.com   National Gypsum Permabase