Ceramic Tile Advice Forums - John Bridge Ceramic Tile

Welcome to John Bridge / Tile Your World, the friendliest DIY Forum on the Internet

Advertiser Directory
JohnBridge.com Home
Buy John Bridge's Books

Go Back   Ceramic Tile Advice Forums - John Bridge Ceramic Tile > Tile & Stone Forums > Tile Forum/Advice Board

Sponsors

Old 10-16-2017, 12:10 PM   #46
cx
Da Home Builder

Not sure just what the gray pipe setup in post 35 might be, but if that's the "drain issue" you're talking about, Kerdi won't eliminate that. Kerdi is a waterproofing system, nothing more, nothing less.

The drain depicted on the paper in post 39 is a Kerdi drain, but it is a retrofit type for use over an existing clamping ring drain and not the one you really want to be using. You really want a standard Kerdi drain and it must still be properly installed over a riser with a P-trap directly below.

My opinion; worth price charged.

Y'ALL NEW VISITORS READ THIS HERE!
cx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2017, 12:42 PM   #47
Steph13

Prolte

He is planning to use the prolite to glue the tile to the Schluter, is this really a big deal? I really like this contractor.

Does the drain look good, or does the kerdi eliminate the
Drain issue?

Thanks Again
Old 10-16-2017, 01:17 PM   #48
HS345
Tile Contractor

It wouldn't be my first choice. Years ago I used a little Prolite to set a few 18" tile toward the end of a day. I had ran out of the Versabond I was using at the time. Also a Custom Building Products mortar, and also not approved by Schluter, lol. A couple of days later, it was still soft around the edges. Maybe they have reformulated it since then, but I never tried it again.
Old 10-16-2017, 03:48 PM   #49
Steph13

Cx the drain I was asking about was from post 37 or 39.
I'm focusing on the shower for now.

The drain in post 35 was a filled in Rome tub, the contractor I let go chose to tie onto the existing drain. I will revisit that issue later.
Thanks
Old 10-16-2017, 03:58 PM   #50
cx
Da Home Builder

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steph
or does the kerdi eliminate the Drain issue?
Again, Steph, Kerdi doesn't eliminate any drain issues, but I'm still not clear on what drain issue you need eliminated.

Old 10-29-2017, 06:37 PM   #51
Steph13

Flood test

My masterbath remodel is still under way. When should a flood test be conducted? Attached are recent photos. The 1st & 3Rd are upside down in the post, but on my phone, i dont know how to fix.
Thanks
Attached Images

Last edited by cx; 10-29-2017 at 09:27 PM. Reason: Pictures need to be rotated
Steph13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2017, 06:42 PM   #52
cx
Da Home Builder

You should have flood tested before any of those shower tiles were set, Steph.

[Edit] Photos 1 & 3 appeared to be nearly identical so I rotated only 3.

Last edited by cx; 10-29-2017 at 09:28 PM. Reason: Rotate Photo
Old 10-30-2017, 10:39 AM   #53
Steph13

Flood test

I asked about the flood test, he said he never does that because it takes to long too long, a day to sit; and then
time to dry.. now that I asked he says he will do it today, but is concerned that the tile motar will soak up water and make it appear that it's leaking?? I got this name from the CTI website.. he only does kerdi systems.

What do you think?
Old 10-30-2017, 10:48 AM   #54
cx
Da Home Builder

I think he's right about the tiled floor absorbing some water from the flood test and that it will take twice as long as it would have had he done the flood test when it should have been done. You'll need to wait over night (or similar) for the water level to stabilize and then another 24 hours for the flood test, but I wouldn't want him to continue without the test.

Set a straight sided vessel of some sort next to the shower and fill it to a marked line when you fill the shower receptor for the flood test. That will allow you to verify any water loss due to evaporation.

There is no "time to dry" with a flood tests of a direct bonded waterproof membrane receptor (your Kerdi) at all. He could wipe down the shower floor after the test and begin tiling immediately.

Was a permit pulled for this work?

Old 10-30-2017, 09:08 PM   #55
Steph13

Flood test

He still hasn't done the test. Should I let him go?
He has pulled several stunts...

I'm starting to wish I hadn't started the remodel, but out of 2 full baths, I had 1 shower, 2 sinks, & 1 toilet that worked, & the laundry subfloor rotted.

Thanks for all responses!
Old 10-30-2017, 09:16 PM   #56
cx
Da Home Builder

Entirely up to you, Steph. We didn't hire him and we don't know what sort of contract you and he might have.

You only need a flood test if you wanna know whether your shower leaks before it's entirely finished and/or to satisfy the code compliance inspector.

If you've invited him to perform such a test and he's refused, you may be dealing with the wrong tile contractor. There are others in your area.

Old 10-31-2017, 08:10 AM   #57
Steph13

Infrared camera

I'm still thinking about what to do. I read about flood test using an infrared camera....do any of you have experience with this?

Thanks again!
Old 12-30-2017, 03:34 PM   #58
Steph13

Shower niche

The shower niche retains water when I put containers in it. I tried gluing rubber bumpers to the bottles, but still find the shelf wet 10 hours later. The bottom of the niche is tilted about 2 degrees. Should it be 5 degree? Are shower niches a bad idea?
Currently the bottles are being stored on the shower floor, and after I shower I squeegee the empty niche. Contractor says I'm being picky. So in the next bathroom which is a shower tub (kohler bellwether) which has broad flanges I said cancel the planned niche. We have not started tiling in there yet, so I could change my mind again....
Attached Images

Old 12-30-2017, 04:16 PM   #59
Carbidetooth
Hmmmmm

It appears to be better than many. It does indeed have positive pitch as your level shows.

To get water to quickly run off around bottles you'd need a pitch that would have them sliding off onto the floor. I often put more than 2% slope on niche bottoms, but surface tension will still retain water at the base of bottles. In addition it tilts the bottles noticeably which bothers some folks.

Any close to horizontal surface will retain some water. You could perhaps make your situation a little better by finding a stainless steel or plastic grid of some kind. Something configured kinda like a pie cooling rack. Also, products like clean shower, which is a surfactant, have the effect of reducing surface tension.
Old 12-30-2017, 05:00 PM   #60
jwmezzanotte

If niches are waterproofed properly there's no issue. They are a great idea in a shower, I wouldn't cancel it in your other job personally.

Is that Marble, or a porcelain look alike? If it's porcelain I wouldn't be too worried about water sitting there. Real marble might leave water and soap residue maybe
jwmezzanotte is offline   Reply With Quote

Stonetooling.com   Tile-Assn.com   National Gypsum Permabase