Ceramic Tile Advice Forums - John Bridge Ceramic Tile

Welcome to John Bridge / Tile Your World, the friendliest DIY Forum on the Internet

Advertiser Directory
JohnBridge.com Home
Buy John Bridge's Books

Go Back   Ceramic Tile Advice Forums - John Bridge Ceramic Tile > Tile & Stone Forums > Tile Forum/Advice Board

Sponsors

Old 06-15-2017, 08:17 AM   #1
TipsyMcStagger

Problem with tumbled Marble over RedGard?

I've chosen (and already purchased) a 3x9 tumbled marble tile for my guest bath. It's being installed in just a few days. In searching this forum for information on sealers, I came across this statement:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Someone in another thread;
...be aware a marble job over RedGard could take weeks to dry out enough to see if it's gonna get gray,which is happening a lot lately from moisture and iron oxide in the stone

I'm not sure what to make of this. Are there known issues with marble over RedGard? This a a guest bath with a tub. I installed Durock with RedGard in the tub surround and will be tiling with the 3x9 tumbled marble from the tub to the ceiling and up to 48" around the rest of the room on green drywall.

Last edited by TipsyMcStagger; 06-15-2017 at 11:25 AM.
TipsyMcStagger is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 06-15-2017, 10:10 AM   #2
Shady at Best
Tyrone shoelaces

I think the main concern is marble in a shower pan.
I am curious what the others will say

Sent from my SM-G935V using Tapatalk

It's just a clever handle.
Shady at Best is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2017, 11:20 AM   #3
cx
Da Home Builder

Brad, if you'll visit our FAQ you'll find a brief tutorial on how to post and properly attribute quotes here on the forums. Very simple once you see it.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Travis
I think the main concern is marble in a shower pan.
Travis, it doesn't appear he's constructing a shower pan.

Brad, I don't know that there is or has ever been any problem installing marble, or any other tile material over RedGard. What whomever you're quoting there had in mind is that installing over any direct bonded waterproofing membrane is going to delay drying of the bonding mortar and potentially the tile if it's something like a natural stone. Whether you'll have any problem relating to that with your tumbled marble on your walls won't be known until you do the installation. Worst case, you'll need more drying time after the installation than you might with a different backing material. You'd notice any such issues far more with a polished or honed stone finish.

You'll need to consider the effect of the stone being regularly wetted in a shower installation.

A photo of your tile may help others with their evaluation.

My opinion; worth price charged.

Y'ALL NEW VISITORS READ THIS HERE!
cx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2017, 12:23 PM   #4
Shady at Best
Tyrone shoelaces

That's why I said that I thought the main concern is with pans.

Sent from my SM-G935V using Tapatalk

It's just a clever handle.
Shady at Best is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2017, 12:29 PM   #5
TipsyMcStagger

Quote:
Originally Posted by cx
Travis, it doesn't appear he's constructing a shower pan.
Right. No shower pan. Marble tile on walls above tub (over RedGard) and same marble tile around the room as a wainscot.

Quote:
Originally Posted by cx
Brad, I don't know that there is or has ever been any problem installing marble, or any other tile material over RedGard. What whomever you're quoting there had in mind is that installing over any direct bonded waterproofing membrane is going to delay drying of the bonding mortar and potentially the tile if it's something like a natural stone. Whether you'll have any problem relating to that with your tumbled marble on your walls won't be known until you do the installation. Worst case, you'll need more drying time after the installation than you might with a different backing material. You'd notice any such issues far more with a polished or honed stone finish.

You'll need to consider the effect of the stone being regularly wetted in a shower installation.

A photo of your tile may help others with their evaluation.
Thanks. On the plus side, it is a guest bath and the shower will be used infrequently.

Here is a link to the 3x9 tumbled marble subway tile. And here is a link to the Carrara marble mosaic that will be on the floor (concrete slab) and in the back of the shower niche.

The installer is suggesting Bostik Neverseal grout. I'm surprised to not find many mentions of Neverseal on this forum.

The tentative plan is to seal the tile prior to grouting. Type/brand of sealer and grout are still to be determined.

Stonetooling.com   Tile-Assn.com   National Gypsum Permabase