Ceramic Tile Advice Forums - John Bridge Ceramic Tile

Welcome to John Bridge / Tile Your World, the friendliest DIY Forum on the Internet

Advertiser Directory
JohnBridge.com Home
Buy John Bridge's Books

Go Back   Ceramic Tile Advice Forums - John Bridge Ceramic Tile > Tile & Stone Forums > Tile Forum/Advice Board

Sponsors

Old 08-04-2017, 10:54 AM   #76
Davy
Moderator -- Mud Man

You can use a thinner piece of Hardi on the back of the niche if you want. I would glue it up there before gluing the side pieces with PL Premium or something similar. Once you get the Hardi on the main part of the wall, the niche will still finish out at least 3 1/2 inches which is usually plenty deep for shampoo bottles.

www.davystephenstile.com
Davy is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2017, 02:55 PM   #77
DanWrghtn

Question Good, knowledgeable glass installer for shower enclosure

Any recommendations for a good, knowledgeable glass installer for North Texas ... who could service between Denton and North Fort Worth? It would be for the shower enclosure (as frame-less as possible). Someone who's good, but also familiar with the dos and don'ts in a membrane waterproofed system?
Old 08-07-2017, 11:56 PM   #78
DanWrghtn

Question Determining slope and height of mud perimeter

When using a Kerdi drain or similar do you measure from the center of the drain or from the edge of the flange to the furthest point of the mud pan perimeter to determine the height of the perimeter? I ask because the drain is already "pre-sloped", so I'm thinking of measuring from the flange edge ... perhaps it won't matter much either way as long as I have a tad over 1/4" drop per ft to the furthest point. It'll be a bit steeper where it's a slightly closer to the walls.
Old 08-08-2017, 09:10 PM   #79
DanWrghtn

Mud pan

Finally got up the nerve to do the mud pan. As usual with first timers, it's always harder and takes longer than one thinks. It didn't turn out great, but I don't think it's horrible either. The overall sloping from the perimeter to the drain seems decent and fairly smooth.

I'll remove any of the small bumps (small elevated spots) ... if there are any after sweeping/vacuuming, but ...

1. a. If the overall slope is good, how forgiving is kerdi membrane with the thin set if there are small, very shallow low spots here and there? 1/16"... more?
1. b. Will the thin set and membrane "smooth over" minor imperfections?

2. If it's not very forgiving, is there any product to fill in spots where needed before applying the membrane?

3. Some mud landed on the drain ... on the 2 inch ring of "membrane" looking surface of the drain where the thin set/membrane will go. I was so focused on the pan that I didn't wipe this off as I pushed on to complete it. I assume most can be brushed off, vacuumed up, or wiped off with a damp cloth but might leave a mark/stain/residue. Will this present any type of problem when applying the thin set and membrane?
Old 08-08-2017, 11:00 PM   #80
cx
da Home-builder -- Moderator-at-Large

You'd measure from the center of your drain to the far corner of your shower to calculate your slope. Guess you figgered that out, eh?

1. Very forgiving in that it will be happy to follow all the humps and dips in your shower floor unless you're very careful and use a wide knife or trowel to flatten it out. Best always to have your substrate as flat as it needs to be before installing anything over it.

2. You can flatten the mud bed with some cementitious patching material if it needs flattened. You must have a flat slope from perimeter to drain and it must slope a minimum of 1/4" per horizontal foot.

I'm surprised you have no deviation from intended plane of more than 1/16th-inch on your first try. That should be fine for your Kerdi installation so long as you didn't skimp on your slope.

3. That drain fleece must be clean before you bond your Kerdi to it. I can't tell from here, 'specially without photos, if you got yours clean enough. If you wiped it down with a wet sponge and made it white again, it would be fine. Damp cloth? Maybe, maybe not.

My opinion; worth price charged.

Y'ALL NEW VISITORS READ THIS HERE!
cx is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2017, 11:27 PM   #81
DanWrghtn

Imperfections in mud pan

Thanks for the response CX.

Yes, I measured from the drain to the furthest corner and established a tad over 1/4" drop per ft. from that point, it's of course a bit steeper for the rest of pan ... I believe it tops out at about 1/2" per ft.

Perhaps only 1/16" is a bit optimistic ... some imperfections might be 1/8" or so. I'll know more after it cures and I give it a good sweep ... cleaning.

I've read a post or two about giving it a skim coat to smooth over imperfections. Is this a good idea if some are well over 1/16"?

Would a 2nd layer of membrane help?

After cleaned as best possible, I'll try include a photo of the drain if I think they're might be an issue with it. I hope it's OK ... that was a lot of work for a softy like me.
Old 08-10-2017, 10:53 AM   #82
DanWrghtn

Question 2" minimum from perimeter to drain?

With all my energies focused on the mud pan and proper slope I forgot about the minimum of 2" from top of perimeter to drain. It's about 1 1/2" now. Backing up ... It will be membrane waterproofed and I went from having a curb to a no curb scenario with the glass enclosure down to the top of the waterproofed surface between 1" to 2" rows of tile ... then caulked between the glass and tile.

In this scenario, do I still need the 2"? This drain flows freely and we've never had an issue with it. I believe is the last drain before leaving the house.

If I do need the 2", I guess I can separate the side and top panels from the Kerdi curb I'm not using and make 3" wide strips and thin set them on to the top outer perimeter (where the curb would have been). These are 3/4" thick and would put be over the 2". But, it means more difficult membrane applications with more edges and corners and more tile cuts ... etc. etc.
Old 08-10-2017, 11:45 AM   #83
cx

Dan, the code requirement is that you have a minimum of 2" from the top of your curb to the top of your shower drain.

You do have a curb, yes?

There is also a tile industry requirement that you have a minimum of 2" from the top of your curb to the top of the shower floor, but that's not a code requirement.

Old 08-10-2017, 12:55 PM   #84
DanWrghtn

Question No curb...ruh roh? With proper slope didn't think I'd need it.

... there I go thinking again.

The perimeter, where the curb would normally be is 1.5" above the kerdi drain. Perhaps the right term is threshold, but not like those for the handicapped. I goes to 1.5" above drain and drops straight down to the bathroom floor. The glass of the enclosure will be about 1.5" from the edge.

We live kind of in Hickville ... kind of "countryish". I went to the Justin "City Hall" and asked about the code for showers ... they said there isn't one ... you can do what you want. Perhaps I should have asked for the Plumbing Code to be more specific ???

The sides and top of the 36" Kerdi curb I won't be using are 3/4" thick. I don't have enough curb or even room around the edge of the pan now to put a curb. I could make 2.75" to 3" wide "planks" that I can salvage from this Kerdi Curb I won't be using. I could then lay/adhere these on the outer perimeter and create a 3/4" curb which would raise it to just over 2" above the drain.

Would this work?

If so, will thin set work to adhere these Kerdi planks to the mud pan outer edge?

Any code requirement for the width of the curb?

Last edited by DanWrghtn; 08-10-2017 at 01:02 PM.
DanWrghtn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2017, 01:28 PM   #85
cx

If your code compliance jurisdiction doesn't enforce a minimum height above drain, it certainly won't bother me in the least.

That's such a strange area of code that representatives of the tile industry a few years ago tried to get representatives of the plumbing code industry to specify a height above drain for curbless showers and couldn't get any sort of rational response. Seems the plumbing code people are of the opinion that the height above drain for a curb is just that - for a curb. You don't have a curb, they don't have a requirement.

Make sense to you? Me neither.

Old 08-10-2017, 09:11 PM   #86
Davy
Moderator -- Mud Man

Dan, I use Barco Mirror, they are in Addison. I don't know if they will go all the way to Justin, you can call them to see.

Call Brian Bartek--972-754-6969

www.davystephenstile.com
Davy is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2017, 10:38 PM   #87
DanWrghtn

Glass reference and Curb

Thanks for the glass installer reference, Davy.

CX, I did some more searching and Justin did basically basically adopt the IPC with that 2" requirement ... that's what I get for relying on the "help" at the counter. I think to be safe, I will build it up to the 2" requirement.

Will what I described above work ... using what actually amounts to Kerdi-board? I'd adhere these to the outer 3" or so top perimeter of the mud pan with thin set.

Or should I add a 1 to 2 inch curb of mud on the top outer perimeter of the mud pan over a thin set slurry coat to help it bond?

Or bricks or pavers?

Last edited by DanWrghtn; 08-10-2017 at 10:45 PM.
DanWrghtn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2017, 09:07 AM   #88
DanWrghtn

Question Henry Patch n' Level and 2" perimeter height

1. Have any of you used Henry's Patch n' Level? I need to fill in a few imperfections in my mud pan. Will thin set / membrane adhere to it? Always better safe than sorry.

I was thinking about putting two pieces, 3" wide, or so of 1 1/8" thick granite mitered to meet at the corner. I'd put this on the edge and then continue to the drain with the little octagon tiles. If possible I might notch the granite about 1/4" so that the octagon tiles can slip under the edge of the granite a tad for better flow. All this over the membrane of course. This would raise the "finished" perimeter after all is in place about 3/4" on top of the 1 1/2" I have now putting it over 2". The code talks about "finished" shower floor/curb/threshold/perimeter so I should be OK.

2. Ya think this wood werk?

3. Does granite adhere with thin set like tile?
Old 08-12-2017, 11:46 AM   #89
cx

1. Yes.

2. Yes.

3. Yes.

Old 08-12-2017, 12:51 PM   #90
DanWrghtn

Thumbs up Thanks CX

Much appreciated CX. Ready to roll now ... till the next unforeseen hiccup.

Stonetooling.com   Tile-Assn.com   National Gypsum Permabase