Ceramic Tile Advice Forums - John Bridge Ceramic Tile

Welcome to John Bridge / Tile Your World, the friendliest DIY Forum on the Internet

Advertiser Directory
JohnBridge.com Home
Buy John Bridge's Books

Go Back   Ceramic Tile Advice Forums - John Bridge Ceramic Tile > Tile & Stone Forums > Tile Forum/Advice Board

Sponsors

Old 04-27-2017, 09:15 AM   #1
stephenson

Master bathroom remodel ...Tub is Dead - Long Live the Shower

Well, finally got to the maser bath in our new house in Florida ...

Everyone was really helpful with the last effort ...linear drain with marble, etc.

We have a large area to work with ...I can easily do 5'x5' shower (we removed the corner jacuzzi tub) ...was considering the 5x5 Kohler receptor, vice a built up base ...slab on grade construction ...have been removing the 300# of concrete the installation crew put under the tub :-(

Anyone used this large of a acrylic solution before? I've installed smaller ones, but nothing this big ...this one is alcove type with three flanged sides ...

Thanks!!

Last edited by stephenson; 04-28-2017 at 02:17 PM.
stephenson is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 04-28-2017, 02:09 PM   #2
stephenson

OK, then :-)

I ordered the 5x5 Kohler pan from Lowes ...will let everyone know how it goes.

Pan is alcove type ... drain looks a bit different ... not sure why it isn't just chrome or stainless ...
Old 04-28-2017, 03:27 PM   #3
sycamorebob

This one?

Lowes Item # 678540 Model # 9395-0

https://www.lowes.com/pd/KOHLER-Arch...in-L/999943904

From Lowe's description
Covered drain adds a unique design element and enhances comfort
Old 04-30-2017, 03:51 PM   #4
stephenson

sycamore bob,

That's the one ... haven't been able to find much bad about it, except a few who don't like the drain cover design ... perhaps some issues with removing it to clean.

This time I was going to try a surface coating approach, using Regard ... last shower I put poly behind the CBUs ... anything new going on in this regard?

It is alcove so three sides are against the stud walls ... I'll either cut out a bit to make the CBUs fit against the lip or shim the CBUs out, then just CBU it up ... will probably buy a couple of prefab wall niches ...

Any recommendations on best way to put in some sort of bench seating?

Thanks!
Old 05-09-2017, 08:14 PM   #5
stephenson

Quick update ...

Attaching a pretty awful diagram (don't laugh!) of what I want this thing to look like ...I'll be building a wall to capture the third side of the Kohler alcove receptor and the open side to the right in the photo.

Scored some attractive (gray and white) English tile from Lowes, as well ... quite unexpected to find anything English in Lowes :-)

I was going to extend the third to-be-added wall a few inches past the edge of the receptor so I could tile all the way to the edge and finish with a bullnose. The wall on the opposite side would simply be straight out to the bullnose and then drywall. We will leave half the entry side open, and glass the other half.

Was going to mount the plumbing controls within about a foot of the opening, just below the top edge of the pony wall, so could reach in and turn on shower. Probably put another valve on opposite side near the seat for hand held.

Got enough tile to go the ceiling on two of the three sides ... tile over the top of the pony wall to bullnose to mount the glass to ...

Would appreciate your thoughts or suggestions!
Attached Images

Old 05-09-2017, 11:15 PM   #6
cx
da Home-builder -- Moderator-at-Large

Not a good eye-dee to have that electrical outlet in your shower, but you probably knew that.

Is there already a vent in that wall for your shower drain?

Why have you removed only a small portion of your drywall where the shower will be?

Y'ALL NEW VISITORS READ THIS HERE!
cx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2017, 07:06 AM   #7
stephenson

CX,

But it's a GFI! �� (I'll rotate it around to face out ...got lucky is long enough and may have a lamp on the outside of the shower wall).

No vent in the shower wall ...original drain went from where you see to back about six feet to the vanities ...assuming it's in there! Too far, but worked ok and is all I have to work with without major mods.

Wasn't going to tear drywall all the way out to ceiling to avoid disturbing the stupid popcorn on the ceiling ...you don't think it is far enough up? Was gonna Redgard the CBUs and drywall and since was so far up figured wouldn't be a problem. Wait ...I posted an earlier photo ... I've removed the drywall at about 6' to meet the CBUs ...old shot was where the elevated tub platform connected to the walls.

Last edited by stephenson; 05-10-2017 at 07:13 AM.
Old 05-10-2017, 01:13 PM   #8
cx

I don't see another photo.

Old 05-10-2017, 06:54 PM   #9
stephenson

CX,

Here's the cutaway now ...

Am thinking will use 2x6 wall on the open side vice 2x4 ...will be about 82" high and not attached to ceiling so wider is a bit more sturdy.
Attached Images

Old 05-18-2017, 10:46 AM   #10
stephenson

Niches and Corner Shower Bench Options

Hi All,

New shower install - have done several showers, have installed manufactured niches and made a couple myself - but, have never installed a "hung" or supported corner bench.

This is my wife's project :-) so I have a tiny bit of option space on the bench type - the shower is 60x60 receptor pan, so I can't support from the floor. Must be hung from the corner - or, even use something like a half bench with an end support like the Better Bench (Innovis).

I've evaluated several products for supporting corner benches (was thinking in the size of about 24" on the sides) - I can get a piece of marble of granite or quartz material in countertop thickness (3 cm) and mount on top of the CBU/tile (a notched installation all the way to the studs), but it still seems like it will flex ... I have seen many of these built with even thinner material (2 cm) and everyone seems OK with them ... but ...thoughts?

Is there really any advantage to using a manufactured niche except for time element?

Thanks!!!
Old 05-18-2017, 12:41 PM   #11
cx

I've used the Better Bench corner version a number of times with good results, sometimes capping it with left-over stone slab material from counter tops in the room. Works well.

I've also done smaller corner benches with 3cm stone set into the wall tile, but you're gonna need to be very careful in your stone selection if you want to do that at 24 inches on a side. That's nearly a 3-foot unsupported span.

I've not installed the Better Bench bench-type units, but I'd expect them to work fine, too.

My opinion; worth price charged.

Old 05-18-2017, 02:04 PM   #12
stephenson

Thanks, CX ...

I spent some time reading up on differences between quartz countertop material (admittedly, there are lots of manufacturers) and granite and marble ... apparently the quartz is way less likely to fracture. Don't know if this would make you or me feel better about the unsupported distance, though :-)

I can see why some would like to just slot it in ... easy, very clean install and look.

The BB system, on the other hand would appear to be much stronger since it has screws ... but I am a little bothered by the wall anchors vice being screwed into studs ... could one simply drill new holes in the BB in order to screw it directly into studs?
Old 05-18-2017, 02:15 PM   #13
cx

I do it in nearly every instrallation.

Old 05-18-2017, 02:21 PM   #14
stephenson

Hey CX,

Please take a look at the rough diagram I posted early in this thread (thanks for relocating the other thread - sounds like you wanna keep all posts on the same project :-)).

How far out past the edge of the receptor would you run the 2x6 wall? I was thinking of wrapping drywall around the outside of the wall (not yet built) and on the "end" and leaving it 1/2" proud ...I would do the drywall first, then the CBU to where they meet, then the bullnose would overlap the edge of the CBU and then define the outside edge of the drywall ...
Old 05-30-2017, 04:30 PM   #15
stephenson

Quick update ...

Kohler Archer 60x60 receptor a pain ... but I needed something close to wheelchair accessible as a future sales point (Florida :-)). I used a dry topping mix and should have use MUCH looser ...pulled it a couple of times (had poly between per Kohler) and re-leveled then mixed another batch of really wet mix ... worked way better - the pan is so big and flexes so much I really wanted to get something under it everywhere. Kohler said to put SLC under the OSB pads, but that seemed certain to end up with creaks and soft spots.

After setting the receptor, I moved the basic version of the pre built wall into place (could not put receptor in with the wall in place as I had chosen not to tear out drywall to ceiling - notched the studs instead - if I had to do it over I would NOT have notched, but rather torn out to ceiling so I could have installed the wall in advance and just dropped pan in-between the opposing walls and then furred all the walls out over the receptor lip), and screwed the receptor to all three walls, then Redheaded the bejesus out of the base plate.

Installed plumbing, leak tested and flushed (I usually put in shutoffs for future repairs) and added bracing for stiffness (since wall does go the ceiling). Needed to furring out on the last wall to clear lip, so just used a sheet of OSB - way stiffer!

Plan is to build a couple of niches, install CBUs, install the 24 inch corner Better Bench (and maybe the 17 inch I got as a JIC up high for shower products, etc), fabric and Redgard it up and start tile. In lieu of tile on the top of the half wall, I was gonna get cap made out of same material as countertops ...maybe do the Better Bench and even niches the same way.

Always looking for your advice and thoughts!!!!

Stonetooling.com   Tile-Assn.com   National Gypsum Permabase