Ceramic Tile Advice Forums - John Bridge Ceramic Tile

Welcome to John Bridge / Tile Your World, the friendliest DIY Forum on the Internet

Advertiser Directory
JohnBridge.com Home
Buy John Bridge's Books

Go Back   Ceramic Tile Advice Forums - John Bridge Ceramic Tile > Tile & Stone Forums > Tile Forum/Advice Board

Sponsors

Old 04-20-2017, 01:01 PM   #1
chriswall

Polished marble and epoxy grout question

I just did my first shower surround. The wife picked out polished marble tile, and I didn't do all my research. I did use white lft thinset and the walls look great. However, I didn't know I needed to keep the grout lines small enough for unsanded grout so I don't scratch the tile. I used 3/8 spacers so I understand my best bet now is epoxy grout. I have done a little grouting before but obviously this is a little different. Do I need to seal polished marble before grouting if I'm using epoxy grout. I see some come with before and after cleaning kits. Any other alternatives or am I on the right track?
Old 04-20-2017, 02:37 PM   #2
jerrymlr1

3/8" ???? How many square feet? You can use a pastry bag to grout if it's not many feet. I would stick to white sanded grout. Even epoxy would be a bear to get right IMO. Take your time and go lightly on the wiping. You can do a sample with some scrap to see how badly the grout will scratch your marble. 3/8" you say? That's pretty wide.
jerrymlr1 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2017, 05:03 PM   #3
K_Tile
Member of Million SF Club!!

Epoxy on marble with 3/8" grout joints. Dont do it! You will end up with epoxy grout on your floor and not the grout joints. Epoxy grout sags even when you are not looking. That would be difficult for a professional to do.

Find a sanded grout that has a round aggregate, angular sand can scratch sensitive tiles. Mapei Flexcolor CQ comes to mind.
Old 04-20-2017, 07:08 PM   #4
chriswall

Man, I meant 3/16. Sorry, long day. I'm all for trying the Mapei cq, I'm a fairly handy dude, but the epoxy seems a lot less forgiving.
Thanks!

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G920A using Tapatalk
Old 04-20-2017, 07:19 PM   #5
jerrymlr1

Well now that's a HUGE difference! For a while I was thinking your marble was gonna look like Mexican tile. 3/16" is epoxy doable.
jerrymlr1 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2017, 07:29 PM   #6
chriswall

I'm leaning towards the flexcolor as it sounds a little more forgiving, unless you think that's a bad idea. Also, im assuming I should seal first, I've seen conflicting info about sealing polished marble.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G920A using Tapatalk
Old 04-21-2017, 12:48 PM   #7
MAPEI - Technical Service
Company Representative

Chris, I would recommend sealing your marble prior to grouting regardless of the grout you use. Our Ultracare Penetrating Stone, Tile, and Grout Sealer would be a good choice.

It seems like Flexcolor CQ would be just the ticket. My suggestion would be to try it on a scrap piece of the stone first just to make sure it doesn't scratch. An epoxy with an aggregate would have the same potential for scratching so you don't really gain much there other than it's an epoxy instead of a single component grout. If the stone is so soft that everything scratches it, your next best bet would be to use unsanded grout, then mist it every 4-6 hours with water for a couple of days so it doesn't crack.

http://www.mapei.com/US-EN/
MAPEI Product Tech Support Hotline 1-800-992-6273
MAPEI - Technical Service is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2017, 01:08 PM   #8
Davy
Moderator -- Mud Man

In all the times I have made samples to see if sanded grout will scratch marble, it doesn't scratch very often. So, hopefully you'll be able to use it. Unsanded in 3//16 joints could be a nightmare.

www.davystephenstile.com

Last edited by Davy; 04-21-2017 at 01:18 PM.
Davy is offline   Reply With Quote

Stonetooling.com   Tile-Assn.com   National Gypsum Permabase