Ceramic Tile Advice Forums - John Bridge Ceramic Tile

Welcome to John Bridge / Tile Your World, the friendliest DIY Forum on the Internet

Advertiser Directory
JohnBridge.com Home
Buy John Bridge's Books

Go Back   Ceramic Tile Advice Forums - John Bridge Ceramic Tile > Tile & Stone Forums > Tile Forum/Advice Board

Sponsors

Old 04-08-2017, 10:53 PM   #31
lati_cz
michal

As much as I like stained concrete I wouldn't use it in shower.
We have stained concrete in our living room, approx. 500 sqft and in adjacent laundry. My wife spilled laundry detergent on the floor and we had to have it resurfaced - expensive. The whole floor in laundry is covered with all kinds of stains, it reacts with anything.... We were warned, our floor was done by best pro in Bay area. I can't imagine how shower floor will look like after a while.
If your contractor has done such showers, I'd ask him to show you some "older" jobs.
Also force of water from shower head will eventually wash away top layer of cement paste, you probably will see not just discoloration from chemical but some mechanical change on surface. Be ready, the floor in shower will be very different than in bathroom. There might be new materials/techniques I am not aware of, if yes, please post pictures.

There are epoxy based coating materials for wet areas, showers used in Europe, can be even submerged if needed. Looks amazing, but haven't seen it in U.S.
Old 04-08-2017, 10:57 PM   #32
cx
da Home-builder -- Moderator-at-Large

Michal, I don't think the OP has any intention of having stained concrete in his shower, only in his bathroom. I'm sure he'll correct me if that's not the case.

Y'ALL NEW VISITORS READ THIS HERE!
cx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2017, 11:08 PM   #33
lati_cz
michal

CX, you're right. I was reading too fast.
I still wouldn't use it on bathroom floor.
Old 04-09-2017, 07:23 AM   #34
Lawingnutz

Only the bathroom floor will be stained concrete....and sealed, which is important. The bathroom floor is not intended to be a wet area. The shower will have a door. The intent is to have a seal/threshold on the bottom of the door so that water remains in the shower. If a wheelchair is rolled in I will transfer to a seat, I don't foresee the wheelchair staying in the shower. So I am not expecting the bathroom floor to be a wet zone any more than normal.
Old 04-09-2017, 08:06 AM   #35
Lawingnutz

My current plan is to recess the concrete 3.5" in the shower area per the dimensions on the drawing. The plumber will Install a plumbing box with a 2" drain about 3" off the back wall. I will purchase a 48" linear drain to be installed. The bottom surface of the recessed area will be 4" thick concrete. It will be trialed level and smooth. I will then build a mud bed and slope it to the drain, 1/4" per foot...about a 1" drop over the width of the shower. I will install Durock or similar board on the walls and drop them down to meet the mud bath. I will apply 3-4 coats of Redgard to the mud bed and to the Durock. I will install fiberglass seam tape at the floor to wall seams, wall corner seams and all wallboard seams. All wall penetrations for shower faucets will be sealed with seam tape and coats of Redgard. The floor and walls will then be tiled using an unmodified thinset mortar.
1) How does my plan sound and will my shower function properly?
2) What is a recommended linear drain??
3) Anything special to look for in a linear drain?
Old 04-09-2017, 10:41 AM   #36
cx

Billy, you need to read and follow the installation instructions for the products you're planning to use in that shower. For the CBU that will include filling and taping the seams with the appropriate thinset mortar and alkali resistant fiberglass tape.

The waterproofing membrane is a separate and distinct installation and the manufacturer will usually tell you what method of application to use and what thickness the individual coats must yield. I would personally never use a liquid-applied membrane for a shower receptor, but if you do so I would recommend the use of the manufacturer's recommended reinforcing membrane in the corners. The manufacturer will also specify the type of mortar to be used in bonding the tiles, which will almost always be a modified thinset mortar meeting at least ANSI A118.4.

If you change to a sheet-type waterproofing membrane you can eliminate the filling and taping of the CBU as installing the membrane with thinset mortar will take care of that.

My opinion; worth price charged.

Old 04-09-2017, 03:47 PM   #37
Lawingnutz

Please do not use acronyms..what is CBU?? What products...brand names, would you use???....Please be specific and detail...i am a rookie wanting to learn and respect the knowledge of those willing to share...details, details, details...
Old 04-09-2017, 04:16 PM   #38
cx

CBU = Cementitious Backer Unit. Frequently called cement board or similar. Many brands available out there and you'll just need to find out what's available to you locally.

Putting a geographic location into your User Profile is sometimes helpful in answering some types of questions, but that one you'll just need to shop around for. Your local home center will usually carry one or more brands, but you've already said you plan to use Durock.

And you said you would use RedGard as your direct bonded waterproofing membrane, which I said I would not use for a shower receptor. I would recommend you use USG Durock Shower System membrane, but others may prefer different products.

What products you elect to use is entirely up to you. Lotsa choices out there.

Acronyms are a way of life in this and many other areas of the construction industry. You'll want to learn some of the more common ones.

My opinion; worth price charged.

Old 04-10-2017, 09:16 PM   #39
Lawingnutz

I see where some people are installing a vapor barrier, looks like visquine, between the wall studs and the concrete board. I read where this was not recommended because it will trap moisture and cause the wood to rot or mold o grow. What are your thoughts and opinions on this technique?
Old 04-10-2017, 09:26 PM   #40
Houston Remodeler
Pondering retirement daily

STAR Senior Contributor

Attaching sheet plastic to the studs, behind ceement board is an approved method, provided a number of steps are included with the rest of the installation; 1- defeating any other vapor barrier in the assembly (usually the face of the insulation), 2- not using a surface applied membrane, and 3- tucking the sheet membrane inside the traditional vinyl liner or over the tub tiling flange.

For when DIY isn't such a good idea...
Houston TX area Kitchen & Bath Remodeling

http://CabotAndRowe.com
Houston Remodeler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2017, 06:08 PM   #41
Lawingnutz

Barrier Free Shower - Concrete Slab Recessed

What opinions and advice can I get on using a Tru-Gard shower system with a 48" linear stainless steel drain and waterproofing the floor and walls with their 8 mil thick membrane. Membrane will be set on top of a mud bed. Wall backer board to be either gypsum board or concrete board.
Old 04-16-2017, 07:22 PM   #42
Houston Remodeler

STAR Senior Contributor

That's a lime green version of kerdi (orange) or Laticrete (olive grey) or USG (grey) or Noble (used to be orange now lime green) ....

I have no first hand experience with the Tru-gard system, but if installed properly it should work.

Old 04-17-2017, 11:02 AM   #43
Lawingnutz

Who makes a linear trench drain that you would recommend?? I am wanting to install the drain along the rear wall of the shower. The wall length is 5' and i am thinking of using a 4' linear drain.
Old 04-17-2017, 08:01 PM   #44
Lawingnutz

Linear Angle Drain

Does anyone know of a 90 degree linear trench drain?? Building a neo-angle shower and was thinking about a linear drain in the corner.
Old 04-17-2017, 08:59 PM   #45
Houston Remodeler

STAR Senior Contributor

You can weld 2 of the Laticrete drains together (we've done that)

Or place two drains together.

Stonetooling.com   Tile-Assn.com   National Gypsum Permabase