Ceramic Tile Advice Forums - John Bridge Ceramic Tile

Welcome to John Bridge / Tile Your World, the friendliest DIY Forum on the Internet

Advertiser Directory
JohnBridge.com Home
Buy John Bridge's Books

Go Back   Ceramic Tile Advice Forums - John Bridge Ceramic Tile > Tile & Stone Forums > Tile Forum/Advice Board

Sponsors

Old 12-01-2017, 12:23 PM   #226
Lawingnutz

The tub is up against the stud wall on two sides and the ledge is supported on all 4 sides. The tub is also imbeded into a bed of cement. On one wall the drywall is not far enough down to hit the tub. I can cut the drywall up about 6 inches and add about a 8” piece to close the gap or fill the gap with drywall mud and sand it. I will also caulk around the edges with 100% silicone before installing the tile and then recaulk along the edge after the tile is installed. Any other suggestions? What about material to use for securing the tile to the drywall??
Old 12-01-2017, 01:32 PM   #227
cx
da Home-builder -- Moderator-at-Large

Billy, I've combined your threads for this bathroom here so folks can see what you're working on and what's been previously asked and answered. We can give it a more generic title any time you'd like to suggest one.

For your wall layout, I'd suggest you first stack a dozen or so of your tiles front to back and lay a straight edge across the top to determine the difference in size you have. I doubt you're gonna be able to maintain a 1/16th" grout joint unless the tiles are very well rectified.

For your tub surround you can use any good quality thinset mortar to attach your tiles to your drywall.

Caulking the gap between the drywall and the tub is going to do no good at all and I'd recommend you not bother with that.

My opinion; worth price charged.

Y'ALL NEW VISITORS READ THIS HERE!
cx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2017, 01:45 PM   #228
Lawingnutz

Shower wall tiles are 11-5/8” X 23-3/8”...tiles will be installed with long side running up abd down...wanting to layout a brick pattern...should i put the joint at 1/2 of 23-3/8” or at some smaller amount??...i do recall reading somewhere where on large tiles like mine that you need to go less than half to avoid lipeage, but these Daltiles are pretty flat.
Old 12-01-2017, 03:13 PM   #229
cx
da Home-builder -- Moderator-at-Large

Industry recommendation is no offset greater than 1/3rd the length of the tile, Billy. You use whatever you're comfortable with and your tiles will allow.

Y'ALL NEW VISITORS READ THIS HERE!
cx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2017, 04:33 PM   #230
Lawingnutz

My mosaic tiles are not as thick as the porcelan wall tiles. When i install the mosaic tiles, how do i make them flush with the wall tiles??....more thinset behind them or is there another trickit???
Attached Images

Old 12-01-2017, 04:49 PM   #231
Houston Remodeler
Pondering retirement daily

STAR Senior Contributor

1/4 backer board, ditra, pre-mount to kerdi fabric, build up the thinset with a screed....

For when DIY isn't such a good idea...
Houston TX area Kitchen & Bath Remodeling

http://CabotAndRowe.com
Houston Remodeler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2017, 05:47 PM   #232
Lawingnutz

The backerboard option seems the easiest. How to attach the backer board to the Durock waterproof membrane??
The difference in thickness is 3/16”.
Old 12-01-2017, 08:07 PM   #233
Tool Guy - Kg
Moderator -- Wisconsin Kitchen & Bath Remodeler

Hi Billy, I'm confused. In post #230, are you asking about installing these tiles in the neo-angle shower or the tiles above the soaking tub?

Old 12-01-2017, 08:16 PM   #234
Lawingnutz

The mosaic tile is being installed in the shower. The backsplash around my soaker tub is another tile project in my master bath. The backsplash tile will be smaller tiles.
Old 12-02-2017, 05:13 PM   #235
Lawingnutz

Layed a few columns up the wall today...
1) I check about 2 dozen tiles for flatness and had no issues. Therefore i decided on a brick pattern at 1/2 the tile length. No issues so far.

2) I will install 1/4 hardiboard to the Durock waterproofing membrane with thinset and then install mosaic tile to hardiboard. That makes the mosaic flush with the tile.
Attached Images

Old 12-03-2017, 08:39 PM   #236
Lawingnutz

How to set the glass mosaic tile such that the gaps don't fill up with thinset?
Trowel size for 12"x12" glass mosaic tile sheets?? Back butter tile sheets?
What about this "set in color" approach?...Does it work with thinset in a shower application??
Old 12-04-2017, 04:58 PM   #237
rmckee84

Only use as much thinset as needed.

I saw you built out to bring the mosaic out closer to flush with field, how much is there to make up? That will dictate notch size.

Set in color?
rmckee84 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2017, 09:33 PM   #238
Lawingnutz

I built out 1/4" using a 1/4" concrete board. Now i need to set mosaic tiles with minimum amount of thinset so the face of tile and mosaic is flush.
Old 12-05-2017, 07:30 AM   #239
rmckee84

You may have to do a small test piece, I'm not sure how much a "minimum amount" is. A ditra trowel may work I think its just over an 1/8"x1/8". You just need to make sure you're getting the coverage needed and with glass full coverage is preferred to avoid any shadowing or trowel marks showing through the sides of the tiles.
rmckee84 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2017, 12:14 PM   #240
Lawingnutz

This is a soaking tub, not considered a wet area. Will be tiling up 14” above the rim of the tub. I have a few options to close the gap.
1) Leave the gap, install tile down to the rim of the tub and caulk the base of it.
2) Seal the gap with something thin. The gap is only there on one end of the tub. What sort of material can i use to place against the dry wall and let it go down below the tub rim?? Gap is 1/16”, so something thin. There is a horizontal 2x4 wood support under the lip of the tub so whatever i place in the gap can rest on the wood support and glued or screwed to the wall.
3) Apply Durock Waterproofing membrane to the wall using thinset and attach it to the tub rim with Durock sealant and bonding compound. (i have enough material left over from the shower project). This will close the gap and waterproof the drywall.
Attached Images

Stonetooling.com   Tile-Assn.com   National Gypsum Permabase