Ceramic Tile Advice Forums - John Bridge Ceramic Tile

Welcome to John Bridge / Tile Your World, the friendliest DIY Forum on the Internet

Advertiser Directory
JohnBridge.com Home
Buy John Bridge's Books

Go Back   Ceramic Tile Advice Forums - John Bridge Ceramic Tile > Tile & Stone Forums > Tile Forum/Advice Board

Sponsors

Old 04-02-2017, 07:54 PM   #1
Lawingnutz

Barrier Free Neo Angle Shower

I've never built a shower before. I am building a new home on a concrete foundation and want to install a barrier free shower with a trench drain. Will either build a new-angle or rectangular. The bathroom floor will be stained concrete. I want to tile the shower floor and the walls. If I block out the area of the concrete foundation where the shower will go can I drop in a KBRS or Tile Redi pan?? Should I block out down to the dirt or down something less?? The slab will be about 4" thick in that area. KBRS says they will build a custom neo-angle tile basin that is pre-sloped with a linear trench drain. Please let me know what you recommend.
Old 04-02-2017, 09:54 PM   #2
cx
da Home-builder -- Moderator-at-Large

Welcome, Billy.

Your concrete contractor should know how to properly drop a section of your slab for a shower. If he doesn't, find a different concrete contractor. The dropped area should be reinforced the same as the rest of the slab field.

I'd not consider the KBRS receptor liner at all, but that's up to you. There are good sheet-type direct bonded waterproofing membranes out there that, along with a mud base, will do the job better and for a lot less dinero.

You're still gonna have a problem doing the barrier-free design with a stained concrete floor in the bathroom. You'll have no way to waterproof the area outside the shower entry. At least none that I can think of.

Do you plan for this shower to have a door?

My opinion; worth price charged.

Y'ALL NEW VISITORS READ THIS HERE!
cx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2017, 11:51 PM   #3
Kman

You might consider making a small hump at the doorway if you don't plan to have a door there. It'll keep water from running out of the shower, (at least normal amounts of water, anyway), and still allow for a wheelchair to roll over it.

The top ten reasons to procrastinate:

Kman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2017, 11:03 AM   #4
Lawingnutz

I will seal the gap between the tile basin and the concrete with 100% silicone and overlay a waterproof membrane from the tile basin to about 2" onto the concrete floor. Then I will install a low profile threshold from the floor to the shower to cover the waterproof membrane. I will also install a shower door.

KBRS can build a custom size tile basin per my neo-angle dimensions. The concrete slap will need to be sunken down about 2.5 inches. Because this shower will have a wheelchair rolled in it, KBRS recommends using at least 4x4 tiles. I am planning to install the drain 1 ft from each of the rear walls. The neo-angle dimensions are 5'x5' with a left return Wall at 28" and a right return Wall at 42". This will allow for a 36" opening.
Old 04-03-2017, 11:15 AM   #5
Lawingnutz

Cost of the neo-angle basin is $950. Cost of material and labor to build using a mud base, rubber membrane, mortar, waterproofing corners and curbs would may be a little less, but not sure. Certainly would take longer and finding a quality builder may be difficult.
Old 04-03-2017, 11:29 AM   #6
Houston Remodeler
Pondering retirement daily

STAR Senior Contributor

Billy,

IMHO the plan sounds a bit awkward. A surface applied membrane such as kerdi, hydroban, 8+9, red guard, or any of the sheet membranes will give you a superior installation as the walls waterproofing will be continuous with the shower floor waterproofing, which can be extended to the entire bath floor. When exiting a shower in a wheelchair, you're gonna drip a fair amount of water on the main bath floor. Having a membrane under the main bath floor will also provide some measure of crack isolation or uncoupling as well.

For when DIY isn't such a good idea...
Houston TX area Kitchen & Bath Remodeling

http://CabotAndRowe.com
Houston Remodeler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2017, 01:21 PM   #7
Lawingnutz

John,
Thanks for the help. The bathroom floor will not be tiled, it will be stained. How would you suggest making the transition between the shower and the bathroom floor? How about sealing the gap between the shower and the concrete? Water will get onto the bathroom floor no matter what you do.
Old 04-03-2017, 04:30 PM   #8
jadnashua
Veteran DIYer- Schluterville Graduate

STAR Senior Contributor

IMHO, trying to keep a concrete floor sanitary and looking good can be a pain. I'd much prefer to tile the whole room. You could make the entire room a wet room. With a door into the shower, you don't 'need' to waterproof outside. If you made the whole room a wet room, you wouldn't need a door into the shower, either, making it much easier to get in, turn around, and get out. To me, in a wheelchair, your shower size seems too small, or at least smaller than I'd like.
Not a pro, multiple Schluter Workshops (Schluterville and 2013 and 2014 at Schluter Headquarters), Mapei Training 2014, Laticrete Workshop 2014, Custom Building Products Workshop 2015, and Longtime Forum Participant.
jadnashua is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2017, 12:38 PM   #9
Lawingnutz

Jim,
Stained and sealed concrete is just as easy and sanitized as ceramic tile or any other flooring material.
Old 04-04-2017, 01:01 PM   #10
cx

Quote:
Originally Posted by Billy
Cost of the neo-angle basin is $950. Cost of material and labor to build using a mud base, rubber membrane, mortar, waterproofing corners and curbs would may be a little less, but not sure. Certainly would take longer and finding a quality builder may be difficult.
Not a little less, Billy, a whole lot less. All the materials for your mud shower receptor except the membrane are dirt cheap and your labor's free. All together you won't spend a hundred dollars on that shower receptor and it will fit your shower footprint and drain location perfectly.

You would not be using a "rubber membrane" at all. You would use a direct bonded waterproofing membrane as suggested by paul above. I would recommend the USG Durock Shower System membrane available on Amazon. You don't need anything but the membrane and drain. And even if you use that overpriced pan you still need something to waterproof your walls.

Your biggest problem is the stained concrete floor. You don't want your waterproofing to run a couple inches outside the shower, you want it to run a couple feet. Probably more if a wheel-chair is gonna be used. Tile is the obvious answer, but if you're set on the stained concrete and not worried about the waterproofing, that's entirely up to you.

Last edited by cx; 04-07-2017 at 08:15 PM. Reason: Typo
Old 04-04-2017, 05:40 PM   #11
Lawingnutz

CX..thanks for the reply. Please explain to me what needs to be waterproofed ouside the shower? Dripping water on stained and sealed concrete is no different than dripping water on ceramic tile. I certainly underdtand that the transistion area/joint between the shower and the bathroom floor needs to be sealed to keep water from getting in the crack. Sealing in the gap and back about 2-3 inches onto the concrete floor and into the shower floor and then covering the gap with a low profile threashold should be sufficient. Do you agree??

Last edited by Lawingnutz; 04-04-2017 at 05:48 PM.
Lawingnutz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2017, 06:05 PM   #12
cx

Quote:
Originally Posted by Billy
Dripping water on stained and sealed concrete is no different than dripping water on ceramic tile.
Don't think I can agree with that, Billy, 'specially with a wheeled vehicle rolling over it regularly, but that's entirely up to you.

Old 04-07-2017, 04:33 PM   #13
Lawingnutz

Schluter-Kerdi Prefab Sloped Tray Too Short

I am going to build a barrier free neo-angle shower that has measurements of 60 X 60 with comeback walls of 42 and 26 with a linear wall drain on one of the 60" walls. This will give me an opening/entry of 36". I was planning to use the Schluter -LS prefab sloped trays but the largest is 55x55. Could I use a piece of Schluter to add on to the 55x55 to get me the 60x60 measurement. I'm not an experienced shower builder and building a mortar bed is not what I prefer to do. What options do I have??
Old 04-07-2017, 04:45 PM   #14
t2jeff

Normally you can extend the tray.....check out this Schluter video

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jm4AdHLjnaA
Old 04-07-2017, 06:38 PM   #15
Lawingnutz

Thanks Jeff!....I am planning to install the trench drain about 3 inches off the back wall. Would it be better to install the pre-sloped Kerdi board in and around the drain as demonstrated in the the Kerdi install video and build up the additional space at the two comeback walls? How deep would you recommend recessing the shower floor so that when I add the thinset plus the Kerdi board plus waterproofing plus thinset then tile the elevation of the shower at the entrance is equal to the elevation of my stained and sealed concrete floor in the bathroom? How to seal and waterproof the shower to concrete floor joint along the entrance? This is going to be a barrier free shower with a shower door.

Stonetooling.com   Tile-Assn.com   National Gypsum Permabase