Ceramic Tile Advice Forums - John Bridge Ceramic Tile

Welcome to John Bridge / Tile Your World, the friendliest DIY Forum on the Internet

Advertiser Directory
JohnBridge.com Home
Buy John Bridge's Books

Go Back   Ceramic Tile Advice Forums - John Bridge Ceramic Tile > Tile & Stone Forums > Tile Forum/Advice Board

Sponsors

Old 04-17-2017, 07:29 AM   #16
Lawingnutz

Are you going to cover that hardiboard with Redgard or any other waterproofing material??...
Old 04-17-2017, 02:28 PM   #17
dskater411

That is an excellent idea Davy, I will play with that and see if I run into anything. My only initial hesitation is the next row up along the shower wall and tub back wall surround. it might leave a 1" gap at the lip of the tub, that was my main worry. We'll see. Worst case I suppose I could move the tiles that surround the tub along the back wall down and the grout lines wont match between the tub back wall and shower back wall, but the glass enclosure could hide that. (BTW my pink lines were on the back wall, they dont show up so well in the resized image)

To Lawingnutz: Yes as mentioned I plan on a waterproofing membrane before I start the tiling. I've been working on the floor too and waiting until I know for sure the dust accumulation is done before I start.
Old 04-17-2017, 07:06 PM   #18
Davy
Moderator -- Mud Man

Yeah, you kinda have a bad situation there with the mud 1 inch higher than the tub deck. It's a little late now but It would have been better to have the mud ledge about 1/8 to 1/4 inch above the tub. It looks like you'll need 1 inch cuts from the Schluter trim down to the tub.

If you're not going to line up the tub splash tiles with the shower wall tiles, try to break it where the glass hits the wall. Not the best situation but not sure what else to do there.

www.davystephenstile.com
Davy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2017, 12:13 PM   #19
dskater411

Grout Reccomendation for a stone shower floor

Against the better advice of all the experts out there, I am going with a natural (lime)stone shower floor, we just really like the way it looks and cant find a 2x2 porcelain mosaic we are happy with.

(exact mosaic if it helps: https://www.lowes.com/pd/American-Ol...-5-in/50122049)

I don't have any problem with staying on top of sealing and cleaning, its only a 3x3 floor. My question is which grout to go with? I am leaning toward an epoxy grout as they seem to have good stain and sealing properties, never used one before. Would that be the best choice for me? Also are there a couple "best" products out there that anyone could recommend to me or is that not allowed on this forum? I have a home depot, Lowes, and several tile stores near me. Fusionpro and Mapei epoxies both seem to get mixed reviews. Am leaning toward Spectralock but may have to order online if I cant find it locally.

Thanks!
Old 04-21-2017, 01:43 PM   #20
rmckee84

I'll say it too, limestone would be a poor choice for the floor. Alright now I have that out of the way, epoxy is a good choice. I would stick with Ardex wa or Laticrete. Do not use fusion pro in a wet area.
rmckee84 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2017, 01:50 PM   #21
Davy
Moderator -- Mud Man

Well, you'll get different opinions on which grout to use. I would rule out the plain jane Custom's polyblend, myself even though we have used it for years. If you're going to go with a cement based grout, I would step it up and use the Customs Prism.

I would avoid Fusion for a shower. In my opinion, the Spectralock is the best epoxy grout although there are others out there that work well. The Spectralock is the most popular. Spectralock includes the sponges and powder that you add to the water, the Mapei doesn't.

www.davystephenstile.com
Old 04-25-2017, 02:25 PM   #22
dskater411

Order of Tiling

Hi All

Just a couple more quick Q's before I actually start already. These may be nuances but I thought about them and wasn't sure. I do know the general recommendation is to do the shower floor after the walls, then the bottom wall row last so the shower floor slips under the wall. For my situation:

1. Should I do the same thing for the knee wall and curb? Do the horizontal surfaces first, then have the wall tiles sit on top?

2. Same for the bathroom flooring. Should the shower outer curb wall and tub surround tiles sit on top of the floor tiles (like a baseboard would) or should the floor tiles butt up against the vertical tiles.

Maybe im overthinking everything...
Old 04-25-2017, 02:32 PM   #23
rmckee84

1. You can do the floor first if you want, I usually do. Then cover and protect it while working over it. As for the knee wall and curb, it will not affect the waterproofing since tile is just the decorative layer but I like to do the horizontal surfaces first then the walls.
2. Same here, floor first then outer curb on top.
rmckee84 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2017, 06:37 PM   #24
Davy
Moderator -- Mud Man

There's no wrong or right on which goes first. I do my floors last, that way I don't have to protect them while tiling the walls. Which ever way you decide, do it the same on all walls and the curb on the inside. if the outside of the curb is the opposite way, not a big deal to me.

www.davystephenstile.com
Old 05-13-2017, 09:43 PM   #25
dskater411

PSA for Spectralock on Pebble Floor

I just thought I would share my experience using Spectralock on a stone shower floor, as I wasn't able to find a lot of people who have.

1. The grout went a lot further than I thought it would. I ordered a full kit (4 mini's) just in case, mixed up half of it thinking I would do the floor in 2 sittings, but ended up doing the whole thing (36"x39") and had some leftover. Estimate it needed 1.5 mini's. I'll use the rest on the walls.

2. I sealed the stones with Stonetech Bulletproof beforehand. Made a HUGE difference. I would be hating life if I hadn't.

3. The stones have a flat top, but are not perfect, so it took a while to clean them off and not disturb the grout joints. I had to scrap many stones with a fingernail, follow with course side of sponge, fix grout joints lightly with finger, repeat. Spent probably an hour doing this as the grout firmed up. But once done, there seemed to be no need to do a second wash, no hazing issues.

Overall I highly recommend this grout. This was my first stone job but i've used normal grout many times, I didn't find the epoxy grout to be any more difficult or annoying. I'm looking forward to see how it holds up against stains.
Attached Images

Old 05-14-2017, 12:11 PM   #26
Davy
Moderator -- Mud Man

About 5 years ago I tiled the master bath shower for a guy and we used epoxy grout. Then about 2 years ago they called me back to tile their kids bathroom. While I was there working in the kid's bath, the homeowner said he wanted to show me something. He took me into the master bath, opened the shower door and pointed at the grout in the corner. He said that the epoxy grout that I charged extra for and bragged about wasn't doing so well. He said, look at it, it's covered with soap and grime. I had to tell him that it's pretty much stain proof but not maintenance proof. I could tell he was embarrassed when I told him that you still have to clean it. I guess he thought since we used the epoxy grout, that he didn't have to do any cleaning.

So, don't expect miracles, it's grout that will need to be scrubbed now and then. I think most folks understand that.

www.davystephenstile.com
Old 05-14-2017, 01:23 PM   #27
dskater411

Absolutely good points. I plan on staying on top of maintenance for those stones too.
Old 05-21-2017, 10:06 PM   #28
dskater411

Question regarding thinset behavior

Hi All

I started putting up the wall tiles and the thinset is giving me some trouble. I'm using Ardex x77 as I can get it for a good price locally and read its good stuff. I mixed a ratio of 1 part water to 2 parts powder per the label, used a drill paddle mixer. It feels very workable and nice on my trowel when I spread it, its light, almost like cool whip. The problem is when I trowel it with the notch side. It seems to curl on me and doesn't make nice smooth lines. The next day I tried mixing it just a bit wetter, but after 30 minutes it started doing it again. It is making it difficult to get 100% coverage. I am backbuttering as well, but find I have to remove the tile and add extra thinset in low spots and reapply. Its taking a while. Just as an FYI I am using 6x24 tiles and a 1/2" square notch trowel.

Any advice here? Should I go even wetter? Are 1/2" trowels just a lot more trouble to use? I wasn't able to find a 3/8" trowel in a store, only 1/4". I haven't had trouble like this when using versabond on the floor in the past.
Old 05-21-2017, 10:30 PM   #29
Kman

David, are you flat-troweling the thinset into the wall before combing it out? Is the surface clean and free of dust? A contaminated surface is usually what causes what you're describing, but if there's excess water on the surface that's also a problem.

The top ten reasons to procrastinate:

Kman is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2017, 10:35 PM   #30
dskater411

Hi Kevin

Yes I flat trowel thinset first . Surface is pretty clear (Aqua defense walls as seen in above photos)

Stonetooling.com   Tile-Assn.com   National Gypsum Permabase