Ceramic Tile Advice Forums - John Bridge Ceramic Tile Tile Monthly Magazine

Welcome to John Bridge / Tile Your World, the friendliest DIY Forum on the Internet

Advertiser Directory
JohnBridge.com Home
Buy John Bridge's Books   Buy a TYW Shirt

Go Back   Ceramic Tile Advice Forums - John Bridge Ceramic Tile > Tile & Stone Forums > Tile Forum/Advice Board

Sponsors

Old 04-22-2004, 10:00 PM   #1
rok

Misting water on grout to cure

I have read that you should spray/mist water on the grout several times a day for the first 3 days which helps it cure stronger and minimizes water absorbancy.

I am ready to grout my tub surround friday and won't be able to come back to it until monday. I used white 4 1/4 tiles and will be using white unsanded grout.

Is misting several times a day necessary? If so, I will have to wait until monday to start and even then, I am only at the house for four hours a day and wouldn't be able to keep it moist for the remaining hours of the day.
rok is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 04-23-2004, 04:25 AM   #2
Davestone
Florida Tile & Stone Man

Smile

Overkill Overkill,just do,'t use excess water in grout process and you'll be fine.The moisture issue really pertains to structural concrete.
Davestone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2004, 04:49 AM   #3
tiledrew

I googled for you - here are some findings:

"Polish tiles with a clean cloth. After grouting do not use or wet the area for 24 to 36 hours. After 7 days from completion seal gout with a grout sealer." - I didn't wait 7 days!

411home repair says mist - ruh-roh, one vote for...

hometime: "After the grout has had a few days to harden, you should caulk using a clear tub/shower caulk or one in a color that matches the grout." - nothing about misting

homestore - nothing about misting

floorstransformed - misting - whoops - another vote

at this point, I'll let the real experts chime in.

I can see your hesitancy based upon online advice.

- drew
tiledrew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2004, 06:10 AM   #4
Mike2

Thumbs up

OK, put me on the 'Misting' team - but only when it's convenient during the first few days after grouting and I'm around.

When's the next scrimmage scheduled and who has home-field advantage - the Mister's or Non-Misters?
Mike2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2004, 06:38 AM   #5
doitright
Tile and Stone Contractor -- Moderator

Hi rok

What's your name?

Misting will strengthen the grout (it is cement). You can also tape plastic to the surface to accomplish the same results.

If you prewet your tiles/joints before grouting and the tiles are porous this will also help. Usually grout in a tub surround turns rock hard just with daily use. As far as daily use, I'm not going to ask!
"The bitterness of poor quality remains long after the sweetness of a low price is forgotten."

New to the Forum? - Check this out!
doitright is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2004, 10:35 AM   #6
rok

Ok, Thanks. I wasn't sure if it was mandatory or not. I read about it in the Tiling 1-2-3 book from Home Depot, but didn't see anything about it John's book.

Since the house is empty, no one will be showering for there for some time, so I will try taping plastic sheets up.

Jeff
rok is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2004, 08:03 PM   #7
KChurch1
Maintanence/Restoration Pro

We recommend misting the grout, it does help make a stronger grout. If that is not possible, covering the tile/grout with kraft paper or rosin paper will help slow down the curing process and help create a stronger grout. I've never used or recommended the plastic... seems like it would trap too much moisture, but if John does it that way and doesn't have any problems it must be okay.
KChurch1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2004, 09:52 PM   #8
doitright
Tile and Stone Contractor -- Moderator

Hi Karen

I usually use a weather paper for floors, which is like kraft paper with fiber strands (for durability), and a sandwiched layer of some type of tar substance that stops surface staining as well as trapping moisture in the floor for curing. I don't like rosin paper, as it can stain and tears very easily.

I simply suggested plastic for Jeffs walls, as I have never hung paper (of any type on the walls).

I was unaware of a possiblity of trapping too much moisture on a wall surface by suggesting plastic. Please feel free to enlighten me to any possible concerns. My concern to Jeff under his circumstances was to do nothing, but I would not want to give bad advice either.
"The bitterness of poor quality remains long after the sweetness of a low price is forgotten."

New to the Forum? - Check this out!
doitright is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2004, 10:00 PM   #9
MHI
Kitchen & Bath Remodeler

John,

I remember reading on a bag of grout (TEC I think) to use kraft paper and wet it a few times a day, but not plastic. They didn't say why.

I used to damp cure every job I did. I think its to prevent cracks that can form with shrinkage when the outer layer dries first, and the deeper grout stays wet longer.

Who has time to go back to jobs that you finished while your doing new jobs? I sort of stopped doing it a long time ago, and haven't noticed any difference.
Old 04-24-2004, 05:11 AM   #10
Davestone
Florida Tile & Stone Man

I've started something in the pro thread you might want to tag onto.

http://Davestonestile.com
Davestone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2004, 06:57 AM   #11
Mike2

Found it Dave (stone), here's what I posted over there:

So i picks me up a Custom Polyblend grout bag and low and behold - 3rd paragraph.

"Curing: Periodically mist the installation with clean, cool water for 3 days."

I just sent an email to Mapei's Technical Department asking for Misting guidance. Will post response once received.
Old 04-24-2004, 07:25 PM   #12
John Bridge
Mudmeister

Send a message via AIM to John Bridge
Jeff,

You didn't read about it my book because I've never bothered with it. My problem is usually getting the water OUT of the grout, not into it. Modified grouts do NOT benefit from being misted. It's better to let them set up. And all grouts these days are modified, except for one line of Hydroment, I think.

So place me squarely in my little corner. I don't want anything to do with the misters.
John Bridge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2004, 09:01 PM   #13
Davy
Moderator -- Mud Man

John, Customs makes a grout called Custom Blend, comes in 50 lb bags and only in Natural gray. I've used it on slate and some guys probably use it for Saltillo. Anyway, it's not modified, I've been known to mist it on outside patios in the summer but with Polyblend I never mist it.
Old 04-24-2004, 09:03 PM   #14
Mike2

We'll see if there is anyone else we can round up to join your team JB. And, if we can't get enough non-misters to muster a scrimage, us Misters need a mascot. What kind of costume would you prefer? I'm thinkin something like the San Diego Chicken with a cool Felker purse and poncho would work. You'd prolly have to shave your legs again in a Chicken outfit...shouldn't be a problem (from what wez'al hear)
Old 04-24-2004, 09:11 PM   #15
Davy
Moderator -- Mud Man

I normally don't mist so that puts me on John's side. There's gotta be more non misters out there.

Buy John's New Book!   Tile Your World Online Store   Contractors Direct Tile Tool Store   Stonetooling.com   Tile-Assn.com