Ceramic Tile Advice Forums - John Bridge Ceramic Tile

Welcome to John Bridge / Tile Your World, the friendliest DIY Forum on the Internet

Advertiser Directory
JohnBridge.com Home
Buy John Bridge's Books

Go Back   Ceramic Tile Advice Forums - John Bridge Ceramic Tile > Tile & Stone Forums > Tile Forum/Advice Board

Sponsors

Old 05-16-2016, 09:30 AM   #1
Opus4

Cutting 8x48 porcelain wood tile

I'm going to be putting down porcelain wood-looking tile that is 8x48. I have places where the long or short edges will be visible and would like to make sure they both can be cut cleanly and straight.

After doing a lot of reading about tile saws on this forum and elsewhere, I came to the conclusion that one option is to buy 2 saws: 1) the Great White Portable tile Saw (from tiletools.com; can't post links yet) for ripping and 2) some bridge saw for cross cuts.

I'm also considering something like the Dewalt D24000 & then sell it when I'm done with all my tiling projects, but I don't believe it could complete the 8" cross cut in the middle of the tile before the tile hit the support arm to the left. (I also don't want to have to pick up & turn around each tile to finish the cut.)

Does anyone have experience with & be able to say whether a saw such as the Dewalt D24000, MK-101, or similar style saws could completely cut an 8 inch wide plank tile in half before the left side of the tile ran into the support arm?

So far, I've gotten conflicting answers from stores and manufacturers.

Thanks.
Old 05-16-2016, 09:41 AM   #2
jwmezzanotte

Ive never actually measued what my dewalt saw can cut before it hits the arm. But I usually flip it around and finish the cut from the other side when that happens.
Its actually better IMO when the cut meets up in the middle sometimes. You dont get that chipout that happens sometimes when you finish a cut after ripping through a tile
jwmezzanotte is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2016, 09:43 AM   #3
jwmezzanotte

I have one of the other saws you mentioned (great white)
It should make the cut. But the blade cutting up from underneath makes some chipping.
I usually put a bevel on the edge of a cut thats going to show anyway.
jwmezzanotte is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2016, 10:17 AM   #4
Opus4

Thanks for those comments. I guess my concern with turning the tile around was that I was leery of not getting the cuts aligned on both sides, but I see your point about preventing chipping at the end.
Old 05-16-2016, 11:53 AM   #5
Just In Tile LLC

I scrap piece of 1/4 hardi works for lining up your blade if you're not comfortable sighting it. I've gotten pretty comfortable with my saw where I know where the blade ends up, but when cutting diagonals in half I usually stop around the middle for reasons that John brings up. A piece of hardi cut to about the size of your tray will show your blade path once you cut into it almost to the end. Then you can line up the blade that way for your other side.
Old 05-17-2016, 05:57 AM   #6
reefone
tile setter

the dewalt will cut about 6" deep before the tile hits the support arm. what I do when I need to make the extra few inches is to tilt the tile up into the blade.
Old 05-18-2016, 06:01 AM   #7
Opus4

Thanks again for the tips. I've decided to just go with the Dewalt. The MK101 might have been able to do the full 8 inch cross cut, but it is also a lot heavier.

Stonetooling.com   Tile-Assn.com   National Gypsum Permabase