Ceramic Tile Advice Forums - John Bridge Ceramic Tile

Welcome to John Bridge / Tile Your World, the friendliest DIY Forum on the Internet

Advertiser Directory
JohnBridge.com Home
Buy John Bridge's Books

Go Back   Ceramic Tile Advice Forums - John Bridge Ceramic Tile > Tile & Stone Forums > Tile Forum/Advice Board

Sponsors

Old 11-15-2015, 09:52 PM   #31
Tool Guy - Kg
Moderator -- Wisconsin Kitchen & Bath Remodeler

Quote:
Originally Posted by t2jeff
I wasn't sure if I needed more than .42 or less than .42. The labeling on the box was confusing to me.
The requirement is for .42 or higher. The higher the number, the rougher and less slippery the tile. Your tile is labeled "DCOF <.42", which means it's less than .42. So as far as the surface of your tile, it's too slippery for wet applications. However, that number doesn't account for the extra traction afforded from the grout lines. Those 2" mosaics put a fair amount of grout lines under you feet. So the DCOF number you've got (which is vague to begin with because all we know is that it's less than .42.....could be .41 or it could be .11) doesn't tell you the whole story.

Buy a single sheet, get it wet and step on it with bare feet. Feel for yourself. If you think it's too slippery, get a tile with a higher DCOF number, smaller tiles (more grout lines equals more traction), or both.

Old 11-16-2015, 01:03 PM   #32
t2jeff

OK. makes more sense now.

Agreed, not sure why the box is labeled with a less than sign.....that makes it very vague on what you are dealing with. Other boxes of different tile from Daltile next to it on the shelf had DCOF ratings of .3 right on the label. Not sure why this was labeled differently. .3 is less than .42, so why call it out differently.

BTW, these tiles will be used for flooring outside a shower/tub with a rug/bathmat on the floor. Makes sense that more grout lines equals better traction.

Next question, is 2"sq mosaic too small for ditra?
Old 11-16-2015, 10:52 PM   #33
Tool Guy - Kg

No, 2" is the minimum for Ditra and works perfectly well.

The vague "less than" makes it easier for manufactures by allowing them to only live up to a loose standard. As long as consumers don't object, they'll keep going in that direction, me thinks.

Old 11-17-2015, 02:20 PM   #34
t2jeff

This mosaic is Daltile made for Home Depot. I wasn't sure about how they labeled the stuff. Also not sure about the quality compared to "normal" Daltile. Time will tell I guess.

Only experience I have with laying floor tile was 12x24 (200 sq ft.). How does that compare to 2" mosaic? What are the differences? Smaller notch trowel I assume? Anything else?

Jeff
Old 11-17-2015, 08:30 PM   #35
Tool Guy - Kg

If the tiles look good and without surface defects, you won't really ever have a problem with the tiles.

Do those mosaic tiles have rubber "dots" holding the individual tiles together into sheet form or is there a limp mesh backing holding them together?

Old 11-19-2015, 12:23 AM   #36
t2jeff

They are held together with little blobs which appear to be beige glue. I guess they look like dots from the top/glazed side. No mesh. Is there a specific installation procedure for this format mosaic?

I checked each individual mosaic, went through 85 sq ft on the shelves to find 50 keepers. I actually only need 40 ft. So no surface defects.

Any other tips?

Jeff
Old 11-19-2015, 01:30 AM   #37
Tool Guy - Kg

The blobs....yes. This makes it a bit easier in one respect as the sheets stays stiffer. After troweling out the thinset, hang the sheet like towel and touch down the bottom edge of the tile and gently lower the sheet into position. Start a bit back from its final position and you can drag the whole sheet forward a bit into its final position.

Those blobs are nice as they keep the tiles spaced. But if you discover a misaligned tile, cut the blobs away completely from the perimeter of that tile so that you can adjust it laterally. And if you spot a rogue tile a head of time, cut it out before dropping the sheet into the thinset.

Old 11-19-2015, 07:07 AM   #38
Davy
Moderator -- Mud Man

Also, do use a smaller notch than you would with large tiles. I would use a 3/16 V-notch. You don't want to fill the joints with thinset when you press the tiles down.

www.davystephenstile.com
Davy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2015, 12:36 PM   #39
t2jeff

I already noticed some rogue tiles I will have to cut off the grid and space individually cause of them not being glued in place right.

Question, once placed down into the combed thinset, how much pressure do I put on it to set them in place? Do I tap/press it with a grout float or something? I understand too much pressure will cause the thinset to ooze in the grid. As mentioned above, slide it a bit horizontally in the thinset for complete backside coverage?

I assume no back buttering as it probably would be impossible????

@Tool Guy.....I grew up in Franklin, right next door to you!
Old 11-19-2015, 06:18 PM   #40
Kman

I usually just lay them in place and put very light pressure on them to get them in contact with the thinset. Then after everything is set I come back with a grout float and thoroughly embed everything.

You may still have some thinset to squeeze up between the tiles, but that's okay if that's what it takes to get them all flush with each other. Just make sure to clean the joints out with something that will fit between the tile, and wipe it off with a sponge.

The top ten reasons to procrastinate:

Kman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2015, 06:47 PM   #41
Dave Gobis
da Man!

Amen Kevin, beat'm and clean'm. They forgot that part or didn't want to clean joints on the job I am writing up currently. Didn't work out so well.
Dave Gobis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2015, 09:54 PM   #42
Tool Guy - Kg

To assist in maintaining the bowl shape of the shower floor, orient the length of the float to always point to the drain as you're embedding the tiles. And using the skinniest float you've got also assists in maintaining a continuous curve.

Old 12-02-2015, 03:58 PM   #43
t2jeff

2" Square Mosaic Tile Quality

On the first page of this post, there is a pic of the mosaic tile I brought from Home Depot. Its from Daltile, but it's exclusive to HD. It sells for much cheaper compared to other 2" mosaic Daltile.

My concern is the quality of the HD mosaic. Are there certain characteristics I should be looking at when comparing the HD mosaic to a more expensive one? What are the characteristics of a good quality 2" square mosaic?

I can think that alignment/spacing of the individual tiles should be looked at. (The HD mosaic is held together by the little blobs of glue, no mesh). What else am I missing?

Please advise.....

Jeff
Old 01-11-2016, 12:38 PM   #44
t2jeff

How easy is it to damage the kerdi with your notched trowel when combing out the mortar on kerdi prepped surfaces? Do you need to be super careful?
Old 01-11-2016, 01:24 PM   #45
t2jeff

Can the Deflecto be used for Dead Load Caculations?

Trying to see if I need to add structure under my soon to be gutted bathroom for a new tub.

Spec's for the new tub call for 57lbs/ft squared (400lb cast iron tub). I assume this considers added water weight.

Can I use the deflecto in some manner to see if my existing floor passes?
I currently get L630 (2x6's, good condition, 16" OC, 68" span).

Thoughts?

Stonetooling.com   Tile-Assn.com   National Gypsum Permabase