Ceramic Tile Advice Forums - John Bridge Ceramic Tile

Welcome to John Bridge / Tile Your World, the friendliest DIY Forum on the Internet

Advertiser Directory
JohnBridge.com Home
Buy John Bridge's Books

Go Back   Ceramic Tile Advice Forums - John Bridge Ceramic Tile > Tile & Stone Forums > Tile Forum/Advice Board

Sponsors

Old 04-13-2004, 12:54 PM   #1
dbrown

Layout and best place to start

Would like some input from the experts on this layout. Its 18x18 Dal Cont. Slate. Does this layout make the most sense? I tried quite a few and this seems to have the least compromises. Also, Do I start in the closet at the top and then work my way past the vanities to the tub and hang a u-turn, pick up the toilet (bottom left and back out the angled entryway? I figure with the years of experience on this forum, It will make my life easier with you input. Thanks in advance. Doug
dbrown is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 04-13-2004, 12:55 PM   #2
dbrown

forgot the pic. thanks
Attached Images

Old 04-13-2004, 01:07 PM   #3
jgleason
Moderator - Theatre Guy (and computers)

Doug, I'm no expert but I don't like having the cut tile at the main entry. Start with a full tile at the entry wall and when you get to the back wall, you'll end up with a cut tile that no one will ever see.

Of course, how you accomplish this and lay the tile so you can still back out of the room without getting trapped is another story!
jgleason is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2004, 02:03 PM   #4
dbrown

Joe, thanks for the feedback. My drawing may not have been clear. The door at the bottom is to another carpeted closet. The entry to the bathroom form the Master bedroom is at the 45 degree angle above the shower.
Old 04-13-2004, 02:15 PM   #5
bbcamp

Why not set the tile on the diagonal so it is parallel with the entry wall and whirlpool tub? It will be a lot of cutting, but you do have a lot of skinnies.
bbcamp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2004, 02:34 PM   #6
jgleason
Moderator - Theatre Guy (and computers)

Doug, I see what you mean. Looks ok the way it is then. Or take the diagonal suggestion from Bob, I think that would look good. Try it on your layout ans see what you think.
jgleason is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2004, 09:27 PM   #7
Bea Tyler

Hi Doug,
Your layout looks pretty good. I'm assuming your full tile at the angled entryway IS actually a full tile (it looks like it has a slight cut at top left corner). I can see why you made the choices you did, and if you stick with a non diagonal layout, I don't think you can do any better.

If you DO decide on a diagonal layout, there will be significant additional details to tend to like diagonal cuts, and getting THE proper angle drawn on your floor for your grids, etc. I did a diagonal layout and because my header board of a hardwood floor at an angled entryway was off by ONE degree, I had to redraw my grid lines twice (total of three draws) before I got the same size tile pieces at both ends of a 20' room. I also made a custom fit tile saw extension bench to accommodate an 18" tile on diagonal and a jig to hold them against a fence. NO WAY can I cut a straight cut halfway through one of those freehand - it's 25" long!

You might find one of these threads interesting:

http://www.johnbridge.com/vbulletin/...threadid=10422

http://www.johnbridge.com/vbulletin/...threadid=11666

http://www.johnbridge.com/vbulletin/...threadid=11683

If your not inclined to do a computer layout, you could get a transparency and draw your tiles on it and overlay it on your room perimeter.

Oh I almost forgot - once you have your grids drawn on the floor, I would start in the middle and work outward toward the walls. If you always keep your tiles within their grids you'll get what you need (full tile where you planned one to be, etc.). If errors creep in, they won't be multiplied as many times over, and should be able to be hidden by quarter round at the walls.

Good Luck, Bea

Last edited by Bea Tyler; 04-13-2004 at 09:40 PM.
Bea Tyler is offline   Reply With Quote

Stonetooling.com   Tile-Assn.com   National Gypsum Permabase