Ceramic Tile Advice Forums - John Bridge Ceramic Tile

Welcome to John Bridge / Tile Your World, the friendliest DIY Forum on the Internet

Advertiser Directory
JohnBridge.com Home
Buy John Bridge's Books

Go Back   Ceramic Tile Advice Forums - John Bridge Ceramic Tile > Tile & Stone Forums > Professionals' Hangout

Sponsors

Old 10-01-2015, 10:00 PM   #1
jjrotcos1

Risso tile saw water pump

I could use some help in locating a Risso tile saw water pump. Does anybody have a contact, know of any retailers, etc? I have tried to contact the shop in Oakland but the phone is no longer working and no one seems to know how to reach Aldo anymore. Any help would be appreciated on this issue, I don't however need any advise nor do I wish to engage in any debates about which saws are the best, cut the straightest,etc. After 20+ years in the business I have used them all and have heard all the pros and cons of every one of them.
Thanks in advance for any help finding my part.
Old 10-01-2015, 11:34 PM   #2
cx
da Home-builder -- Moderator-at-Large

Welcome, John.

If you'll enter Risso into the Advanced Search feature and ask for titles you'll find a couple old threads on that saw and that problem. Apparently even ten years ago it was difficult to contact the manufacturer.

One thread recommended you bypass the integral pump and attach a common submersible pump instead. Having never seen or used a Risso, I have no idea what the real feasibility of that might be.

Y'ALL NEW VISITORS READ THIS HERE!
cx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2015, 05:50 PM   #3
Davy
Moderator -- Mud Man

Like CX, I've never seen that brand of saw and wonder if the pump is anything special. In a pinch, I've had no problem making a small fountain pump work from Home Depot. Good luck with your searching.

www.davystephenstile.com
Davy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2015, 02:43 PM   #4
don s

This guy refurbishes Risso saws. Peter Moale 707-337-4039. Got his number at The Tile Shop in Berkeley. I was going to get my saw refurbished but haven't got around to it. Hope he can help.
Dopn
Old 10-11-2015, 10:48 PM   #5
Alpha&Omega Tile

I had a Risso many years ago, when the water pump broke down(common problem) I replaced it with an MK pump that was available at Home Depot at that time.
Old 11-05-2015, 01:37 AM   #6
jjrotcos1

Risso tile saw water pump

Thanks very much for all the replies, especially the refurb service tip. Hopefully
the guy can fix my pump or can hook me up with a new impeller. I appreciate the suggestions about using an electric substitute but that is an obvious solution
which has been done until the main problem can be corrected.
As for those of you not familiar with "Risso" saws, they are extremely precise cutting machines, built to last forever unless they are dropped off the vehicle at speed, require some maintenance or lubrication, and were designed with problematic water pumps. My saw is over 25 years old and has been on every job type, size and environment, setting every type and dimension of material available and cuts straight with less than 1/64th inch variation in anything up to 2 feet in length when using the gauge. I still use it mainly for high priced porcelains, granite, etc where exact cuts are a necessity and saw related breakage or damage is costly.
Thanks to all and as a new user consider this site excellent for our trade and long overdue. Tile it!
Old 11-05-2015, 07:35 AM   #7
mossypath

I have to admit to feeling a little jealous seeing you talk about your relationship with your saw.

I have a old sawbuck that is not my daily but when you need it it steps up to the task. I hope you can get the pump fixed and have her another 25 years. With all the 3d printers now I can see more old thing staying in use longer.

Understand that holding the media accountable is just as important as holding government accountable.

"freedom of the press is guaranteed only to those who own one." A.J. Liebling

‘Water and air, the two essential fluids on which all life depends, have become global garbage cans.’ Jacques-Yves Cousteau
mossypath is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2016, 11:58 PM   #8
TileArt
Mud Slinger

I know this is an older post but I thought I'd chime in to possibly help someone in the future. So, we strictly used Risso saws for many many years. One thing I learned about their pumps is how to fix them in a pinch. The pump I am familiar with is the one that ran off a pulley and was not electric submergible.

The pump is brass and has rubber impeller. Their is a brass cover plate on one side held secure by 6 brass screws. That brass cover plate will wear a groove over time from the impeller. This allows water and air to slip past the side and of impeller loosing suction to pump water. To remedy, just flip the brass cover plate over and use the outside in. This will get the pump working strongly again. But before you do that, take note of the manufacturer stampings on the outside of the plate. Risso used these types of pumps from another manufacturer. I know because back in the day, I bought a handful to keep in stock because this was about the only thing that wore out on a Risso saw. NOTE: Last I checked on these types of pumps was years ago so they may no longer be as readily available. Hope this helps. If not, it was fun reminiscing.

Last edited by TileArt; 09-14-2016 at 07:00 PM.
TileArt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2016, 11:06 PM   #9
Tiger Mountain Tile Inc
tile lackey

I read through your whole post and thought you were Roger. But you're not.

Welcome!
Old 02-14-2017, 06:30 PM   #10
Peter Moale

Risso Water Pumps

I just saw your posting on locating another Risso water pump.
There is a fellow name Peter Moale who totally refurbishes the Risso water pumps.
He completely goes through it by machining and installing a new bushing, provides a new impeller, and shaft, new packing under the gland nut, and resurfacing, or replacing the round cover plate.
His phone number is 707-337-4039.
Good Luck.

Stonetooling.com   Tile-Assn.com   National Gypsum Permabase