Ceramic Tile Advice Forums - John Bridge Ceramic Tile Tile Monthly Magazine

Welcome to John Bridge / Tile Your World, the friendliest DIY Forum on the Internet

Advertiser Directory
JohnBridge.com Home
Buy John Bridge's Books   Buy a TYW Shirt

Go Back   Ceramic Tile Advice Forums - John Bridge Ceramic Tile > Tile & Stone Forums > Tile Forum/Advice Board

Sponsors

Old 04-08-2004, 09:23 AM   #1
Pool

Help on granite over dishwasher!!

After searching for days on the net for some advice on a granite countertop install I fould the best site ever!! So this is where the experts hang out??

I am having a stone/tile shop install about 25 sq.ft. of Giallo Vincenza granite slabs in an L configuration in my kitchen. Nothing too complex. Except: my dishwasher sits at the right end of the L. The existing laminate countertop (old!) sits right on top of the dishwaser!!

Now, I know granite weighs about 40 lbs/ft and there is no way they are going to be able to lay it on top of the dishwasher. There was never any end panel installed. (the fridge butts up against the dishwasher so it hides the end where the thing shows) I am gussing I am going to have to install some end cap there to support the granite.

I am pretty good with carpentry and can make a piece that goes on the end. I was thinking about using just some 3/4 in. plywood. Will this work? How should I anchor it to get the most support for the granite?

Thanks in advance to anyone who has seen this scenario or done this!
Pool is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 04-08-2004, 09:48 AM   #2
bbcamp

A single sheet of 3/4 will be plenty of support at the end. You can attach it to the floor with angle brackets which will be hidden by the dishwasher, and to wall with a cleat. Support the back edge of the countertop with another cleat, and support the front with a 1xsomething running from the cabinet to the new plywood. Put another one in the middle so the stone dowen't have to span so much distance.

Carefull planning and joinery would make your new cabinet extension look like the existing stuff.

Bob
bbcamp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2004, 09:52 AM   #3
Steven Hauser
STT Owner

Hi Pool,

Yes, you can use a 3/4" panel attached to the rear wall and the floor. Plan to cut the panel to the same height as all your lower cabinets. You can also notch the panel at the floor so that the toe kick area is consistent with the rest of the cabinets. If there is room in the back of the dishwasher you can add a cleat to the rear wall as well.

My .02
Products and Practices Perfected™
STT Sealers with Attitude!®
Steven Hauser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2004, 10:09 AM   #4
goneriding

The countertop is supported by the DISHWASHER??

Thanks, you gave me a good laugh this mornin'
Old 04-08-2004, 11:14 AM   #5
Pool

Yep! It is funny. I couldn't believe what I saw when I did a close inspection of the existing counters! There was a thin, 1/8" piece of pegboard cut out in the shape of the cabinet profile that was next to the dishwasher. It was so flimsy that it had (obviously) bent under the weight of the counters. It's going to make a great template to cut the 3/4" ply sheet to match exactly since it has the toe kick indent and is exactly the right height.

One more question for you:
Once I install the ply to the wall with a cleat and to the floor with angle brackets (probably 3") how will the granite be installed on top of this? I suppose they use some kind of brackets?

I have no clue when it comes to stone installations. That's why I'm leaving that part of the remodel up to the pros like you guys.

Thanks again for the great responses! I have this site bookmarked now.
Pool is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2004, 05:43 PM   #6
John Bridge
Mudmeister

Send a message via AIM to John Bridge
Hi Pool, Welcome.

I think they might want to install a layer of 3/4 inch plywood to the cabinet tops before the stone is installed.
John Bridge is offline   Reply With Quote

Buy John's New Book!   Tile Your World Online Store   Contractors Direct Tile Tool Store   Stonetooling.com   Tile-Assn.com