Ceramic Tile Advice Forums - John Bridge Ceramic Tile Tile Monthly Magazine

Welcome to John Bridge / Tile Your World, the friendliest DIY Forum on the Internet

Advertiser Directory
JohnBridge.com Home
Buy John Bridge's Books   Buy a TYW Shirt

Go Back   Ceramic Tile Advice Forums - John Bridge Ceramic Tile > Tile & Stone Forums > Tile Forum/Advice Board

Sponsors

Old 04-07-2004, 11:10 PM   #1
Kiffy

Caulking matte black tile

Please help. We are building a house and have used Olympia mosaic tiles in our master ensuite. The caulking was done today and it looks terrible. Apparently the colour they used is called translucent. We aren't sure what to do, because the tiles are matte and black. Does anyone have any suggestions? Thanks
Kiffy is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 04-08-2004, 06:34 AM   #2
Mike2

Hi Kiffy and welcome to the forum.

I just want to make sure we understand the problem correctly. You are talking about the caulk, not the grout, right? What was it exactly that they caulked?

Also, the term "master ensuite" is one I'm not familiar with...what is that, a bathroom?
Mike2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2004, 08:53 AM   #3
Kiffy

Caulking Matte Black Tile

Hi Mike! Thanks for responding. Yes, I'm referring to the silicone or caulking, not the grout. They uses a charcoal grout and it looks great with the matte tiles. They used the silicone between the laminate and the tile. Our tile goes up about 8", so they also did the corners which is what looks the worst.

The master ensuite is the bathroom off the bedroom...is that just something we use in Canada?
Thanks!
Old 04-08-2004, 09:09 AM   #4
Mike2

Kiffy:

Now I understand. I'm not what you would exactly call a caulking expert but here's my 2 cents, others may chime in.

Silicone or some siliconeized (if's that's a word) caulk can be on the shiny side and contrast remarkably with your matte black tile and charcoal grout..

There are caulks out there that are not shiny. ColorFast is one of them and they have shades that will match up with any grout color put out by all of the major manufacturers. .ColorFast Caulk
There are probably many others as well. Some of the tile pros who have done work with matt black tile might have some other good suggestions. In the meantime, you need to get that caulk out of there. Time is not on your side. It's gets harder to remove with each passing day.

That's my opinion.
Old 04-08-2004, 12:48 PM   #5
Kiffy

Caulking Matte Black Tile

Thanks so much for the advice. I called Colorfast and have talked to my builder about their products! Cheers!
Old 04-08-2004, 06:09 PM   #6
John Bridge
Mudmeister

Send a message via AIM to John Bridge
Hi Kiffy,

I knew what "ensuite" meant.

ColorFast make sanded caulkings also, in case your grout is sanded.
John Bridge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2004, 06:14 PM   #7
Mike2

JB, that doesn't surprise me at all. Yu's all Texas boys talk funny too.

Buy John's New Book!   Tile Your World Online Store   Contractors Direct Tile Tool Store   Stonetooling.com   Tile-Assn.com