Ceramic Tile Advice Forums - John Bridge Ceramic Tile

Welcome to John Bridge / Tile Your World, the friendliest DIY Forum on the Internet

Advertiser Directory
JohnBridge.com Home
Buy John Bridge's Books

Go Back   Ceramic Tile Advice Forums - John Bridge Ceramic Tile > Tile & Stone Forums > Tile Forum/Advice Board

Sponsors

Old 04-20-2015, 07:08 PM   #1
donstump1

Asbestos floor tiles

I've done the research and looked at the options, and talked with the local tile guys, searching for a solution. I hope someone has some suggestions.

The problem:

A 750 square foot restaurant front room. The building has been remodeled several times since construction in the 50's. Slab foundation that fades 1/4", from the front door area to the rear walls. The front door slab area, 6'x 8', is level with the sidewalk in front. This area has no asbestos tiles. Someone removed them in a prior remodel I suspect. The building inspector will allow up to 1/2" above the sidewalk entry way (ADA), for the threshold. Getting quotes for tile removal is beyond crazy expensive. They must charge by the square inch. Encapsulating the tiles with an epoxy, cement overlay, or a leveling compound seems to not be the solution. Thickness and lack of adhesion seem to be the main detractors as a solution. If I can't stick something to those tiles I am left with covering them up. Half the guys say screw down a 1/4" durock type board and the other half vote for screwing down expanded metal to the area around the 6'x8' entry. Porcelain tile is going to be used. I'm open to suggestions. Thanks in advance for reading this long post.

Don
Old 04-20-2015, 09:19 PM   #2
cx
da Home-builder -- Moderator-at-Large

Welcome, Don.

I don't know what you might mean by "Slab foundation that fades 1/4", from the front door area to the rear walls." Your tiles won't care about the slab not being level, but they'll care about it being flat. If you plan very large format tiles, they'll care a great deal more.

There are products out there that will allow you to bond your tiles directly to what you've got. Several companies make such products. The first two that spring to mind are MAPEI and Custom Building products. I'd recommend you contact both for some discussion. You can find links on the side of this page to each company. There are others out there, too.

MAPEI's product is ECO Prim Grip.

Custom's product is Multi-Surface Bonding Primer (MBP).

I'm not certain if the asbestos tiles are including in their acceptable substrates, but I'm sure they'll be happy to tell you.

And you'd then be depending upon the bond of the vinyl tiles for the longevity of your ceramic tile installation, but that's entirely up to you.

My opinion; worth price charged.

Y'ALL NEW VISITORS READ THIS HERE!
cx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2015, 10:51 AM   #3
donstump1

Asbestos Issues

Thank You!

The MAPEI product is not recommended over asbestos, but the Custom's MBP product is. Custom tech support was very helpful. I appreciate your time and support.

Don
Old 04-21-2015, 11:12 AM   #4
cx
da Home-builder -- Moderator-at-Large

Don, I do believe MAPEI's reluctance is essentially due to their concerns about the EPA restrictions (completely excessive at times in my view) about the asbestos content, rather than for any concern that their product wouldn't perform in your application.

And do keep in mind that no matter what or who's product you elect to use with those asbestos-containing VCTs in place, you'll own that installation on your own for the rest of your natural life.

Or maybe longer.

My opinion; worth price charged.

Y'ALL NEW VISITORS READ THIS HERE!
cx is offline   Reply With Quote

Stonetooling.com   Tile-Assn.com   National Gypsum Permabase