Ceramic Tile Advice Forums - John Bridge Ceramic Tile

Welcome to John Bridge / Tile Your World, the friendliest DIY Forum on the Internet

Advertiser Directory
JohnBridge.com Home
Buy John Bridge's Books   Buy a TYW Shirt

Go Back   Ceramic Tile Advice Forums - John Bridge Ceramic Tile > Tile & Stone Forums > Tile Forum/Advice Board

Sponsors

Old 03-31-2004, 12:40 PM   #1
villenej

Question Slate Tile Installation

Hi Folks,

I prepping to install my new kitchen floor. 12" x 12" Autumn slate from India (I think its a lot softer than the VT kind) and I would like to know what the best underlayment, tile backer, installation suggestions, etc. are. My stats are this: 2x12s on 16in centers spanning 13 feet covered by 3/4 OSB T&G. What else should I place on this floor. Thanks for yout time,

Jon
Old 03-31-2004, 01:06 PM   #2
bbcamp

Welcome, Jon!

The joists look good for stone, so all you need is another layer of 1/2" plywood, and an underlayment. 1/4" backerboard is fine, Ditra will save you a little height (and a little weight in your wallet).
bbcamp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2004, 01:17 PM   #3
villenej

Thank you for your rapid response! I think this forum rocks.
I have some left over 1/2" Denshield, but about four sheets shy of enough for the whole floor. I've read some mixed opinions on this forum on whether or not to use it for backer on floors. What do you think?
Also: Any reccomendation on a coating for this slate? I've heard that I should coat it first before I even lay it for easier wash up. On a similar note: Some of the slate didn't cleave as cleanly as I've seen the VT slate cleave. I llove the look of this rougher scaley surface, but is it dangerous for people to walk barefoot on this?
Thanks again for the wisdom.
Old 03-31-2004, 01:24 PM   #4
bbcamp

I know the Georga Pacific people have tested and rated their Dens-shield for use as a floor underlayment, but there's something about walking on sheetrock that bothers me...

Can you take the stuff back and get a cementeous backerboard? Hardibacker, Durock, Wonderboard?

I don't know anything about sealers for stone, other than the TYW stuff is the best (shameless plug ).

As far as the rougher surface goes, your bare feet will adapt. Use a little judgement and discard any tile that feels like it would hurt someone. This will also help you when it comes time to wash the grout off.
Old 03-31-2004, 01:39 PM   #5
villenej

Thanks BBCamp,
In Maine, my favorite magazine is a want add called Uncle Henry's or as I call it, Mon Oncle Henri if I'm trying to convince my wife that reading the want ads is a cultural experience.
Any way, No loss on the Den-shield. I paid $30 for 7 4x8 sheets that were left over from another guy's job. I'll use it for tiled wall backer or resell it. I was actually cringing at paying $30 each for the remaining needed sheets.

Re: the 1/2 Plywood. I assume that I install it oriented at 90 degrees from the 3/4" OSB? It need not be T&G right? I'm not sure if they make 1/2"T&G

Thanks again,
Old 03-31-2004, 01:43 PM   #6
bbcamp

It need not be T&G, but always install plywood with the face grain perpendicular to the joists, no matter what direction the other layer is layed.

As for the Dens-shield, don't let it near your shower!

Bob
Old 03-31-2004, 05:04 PM   #7
John Bridge
Mudmeister

Send a message via AIM to John Bridge
Bonjour, Jon. Comment ca va?

Bob is an engineer and a good one. He is not concerned with the type of stone you propose to use. I am. To my knowledge, most of the so-called slates from India and China are too soft to be considered as flooring material, especially in the kitchen. Some of them actually dissolve when exposed to water for extended periods. I'm not a stone expert, either, but we have a few around here. It's something that needs to be considered.
John Bridge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2004, 05:42 PM   #8
Steven Hauser
STT Owner

Hi Jon,

I won't hurt you with my rusty french.

The use of a material like the autumn slate really depends on you. The material is quite flaky and does not do well in environments that has a lot of crumbs. The uneven texture makes it difficult to care for.

My suggestion is to purchase a box of the material and lay them on the floor in front of the sink and cooktop. Leave one aside for comparison. Clean them liek you would any other day of the week.

At the end of a week take thewm up and examine them.

My .02
Products and Practices Perfected™
STT Sealers with Attitude!®
Steven Hauser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2004, 06:20 PM   #9
MHI
Kitchen & Bath Remodeler

Jon,

I often think about using Denshield on floors, but things like the refridgerator and all its weight on four small wheels. Just worries me, so I haven't tried it yet.

Your better off with 1/4 inch whatever you use. You don't need the added height of 1/2 inch, thats for walls so it is even with the sheetrock.

Buy John's New Book!   Tile Your World Online Store   Contractors Direct Tile Tool Store   Stonetooling.com   Tile-Assn.com