Ceramic Tile Advice Forums - John Bridge Ceramic Tile Tile Monthly Magazine

Welcome to John Bridge / Tile Your World, the friendliest DIY Forum on the Internet

Advertiser Directory
JohnBridge.com Home
Buy John Bridge's Books   Buy a TYW Shirt

Go Back   Ceramic Tile Advice Forums - John Bridge Ceramic Tile > Tile & Stone Forums > Tile Forum/Advice Board

Sponsors

Old 03-29-2004, 10:02 AM   #1
tom_the_toolman

how long should it take to grout?

First of all, thanks for the forum! I have learned alot by reading here. I recently completed my first ceramic tile job - a small 50 sf bathroom. now I am working on a larger 150 sf bathroom.

How long would it take a pro to grout 150 sf of ceramic tile. (textured) and how long would you expect it to take for a beginner?

I know it is hard to critique my grouting without seeing it - but it is taking me a LONG time to grout. It took me 3-4 hours to grout the small bathroom. I am currently grouting at a rate of 20-30 sf an hour. at this rate, it will take me 5-6 hours to grout the bathroom! Aaahhhhh! obviously, it is not the floating that is taking time, but the cleaning.
tom_the_toolman is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 03-29-2004, 10:28 AM   #2
kkowal

couple hours, it's the constant wiping and changing buckets for clean water that takes time. the key is after you apply the grout with the float, take off as much grout that is on the tile with the float as you can. when you are ready to wipe, take your sponge, wipe 3-4 tiles in one direction, turn the sponge around wipe the same area with the clean side, then rinse the sponge and move on. repeat. with some tiles, ones that have little pivots to them, you clean the tile and leave the grout alone. with certain colors, excess wiping can bleed the color out. this is especially true with custom colors like dark green and black.
Old 03-29-2004, 05:18 PM   #3
John Bridge
Mudmeister

Send a message via AIM to John Bridge
Hi Tom, Welcome to the forum.

If your tiles have a lot of crags and depressions, your time may not be all that bad. I hope you will smear grout over only about 30 square feet of tile and then wash it before you move on. Don't try to smear the whole floor at once. It's too much for one person.
John Bridge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2004, 08:02 PM   #4
tom_the_toolman

Thanks for the encouragement! I'm only spreading about 15 sf at once. I purposely chose "rough" tile since we have kids and I dont want them slipping - so there is alot of wiping to clean. It does look good - so I'll just plan on taking a few more evenings to finish. and I'm already planning my next project - slate on the front porch!
Old 03-30-2004, 07:28 AM   #5
John Bridge
Mudmeister

Send a message via AIM to John Bridge
Slate on the front porch. Also hard to grout.
John Bridge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2004, 08:37 PM   #6
tom_the_toolman

I learn more every day...

ok - after much perusing on your site, I now understand that slate is best left to walls. ok - I will search out a nice porcelin or quarry tile for my porch. thanks again - gotta get back to my grouting now!

Buy John's New Book!   Tile Your World Online Store   Contractors Direct Tile Tool Store   Stonetooling.com   Tile-Assn.com