Ceramic Tile Advice Forums - John Bridge Ceramic Tile Tile Monthly Magazine

Welcome to John Bridge / Tile Your World, the friendliest DIY Forum on the Internet

Advertiser Directory
JohnBridge.com Home
Buy John Bridge's Books   Buy a TYW Shirt

Go Back   Ceramic Tile Advice Forums - John Bridge Ceramic Tile > Tile & Stone Forums > Tile Forum/Advice Board

Sponsors

Old 03-17-2004, 09:34 PM   #1
textucker

Question mosaic tile and sharp edges

I did a mosaic tile (busted tiles) threshhold and after grouting the tiles have sharp edges. Should I grout over the edges or file the edges down some how?

Thanks,
Darla
Old 03-17-2004, 09:37 PM   #2
textucker

I forgot to ask if it's okay to add grout over grout if it's not cured yet. I just grouted today.

thanks
Old 03-18-2004, 03:00 AM   #3
tileguytodd
Official Felker Fanatic

Darla, hi.I wouldnt add grout now,it probobly wont bite.the trick to doing a broken tile mosaic is grouting the joints full and letting the grout set up almost so hard you wished you were dead by the time you get it cleaned up .
otherwise a very light deft touch is required with a stiffer sponge if you can find one.
Old 03-18-2004, 06:50 AM   #4
textucker

Thanks todd,

So I should take it out and do it over.
Old 03-18-2004, 06:58 AM   #5
tileguytodd
Official Felker Fanatic

Darla,the way it stands now it is actually a safety problem for someone who is barefoot so yes i would consider beginning again if your up to it.
One thing you may also want to consider is this. after breaking up your tile, give those edges a hint of relief by stoning them with a rubbing stone.this will take the sharpness back some also. A small dremel with a stone wheel works great for the smaller pieces.

We live and we learn Darla, Next time it'll be perfect i bet

Good Luck!!
Old 03-18-2004, 07:39 AM   #6
textucker

Just when I thought I was almost done. Thanks so much!! I sure wouldn't want to hurt anyone's barefoot. I am going to try my hand at the dermel collecting dust in the garage
Old 03-18-2004, 09:22 AM   #7
smee
Tile Artist Chick :-)

Hi Darla -

I'm a mosaic lady...can I ask how wide the threshold is? or better yet, do you have a photo?

I really wouldn't gring down the existing tiles - there is the possibility of chipping, cracking etc. I don't think you'll like the end result. If it's not standing up that much, I wouldn't do a thing. If it's not a huge area, and it bothers you that much, or is a hazard, I would consider doing it again.

if you do, one thing to always remember with broken pieces, aftern you lay a few pieces, always run your hand over the surface to find any sharp, uneven places. Then you can make adjustments as you go.

Hope this helps!
Old 03-18-2004, 09:58 AM   #8
textucker

Hi Linda,

I did mosaic thresholds 4" x 32" that goes the whole distance of the doorway. I needed a transition from tile to tile in 3 rooms, so I thought that would be a neat way to go. I have other questions since I am going to do it over.

I used the notched trowel the same way that I used when laying the tile. I had a hard time sticking the little pieces of tile in the thinset, so I thought maybe this time I should just put a layer of thinset and stick the tile in it.

I am going to use a piece of wood the size of my threshold to press down on all the tile at once so they will be even. Is that what you do?

Any other helpful hint? I would love to learn how to do mosaic the right way, lol. I did a mosaic mirror for my mother for Christmas and it turned out okay but could have been better. The grout is not as smooth as I would like, lots of dips that I didn't notice at first.

I will send pictures

thanks
Old 03-18-2004, 10:10 AM   #9
destroyityourselfer

Linda,
Wow--beautiful mosaic work on your website! Being a DIY'r of an artistic bent, I appreciate seeing how others incorporate art into their architecture. Nice work!

I have done a few "smashed tile" mosaics and found the resulting sharp edges troubling(especially on the ceramic tile shards in the shower surround). As you pointed out, you have to be extra careful about keeping those edges flush so the wings and valleys don't snag any delicate skin. To anyone else trying this, I would add that when using broken ceramic floor tile shards you tend to expose the terra cotta color of the body of the tile on the edges so you have to remember to allow for that in your overall design or choice of grout color.

Good luck, Darla, and kudos for taking on this project. It's the "little things" like your mosaic that make the difference between ending up with a "spec house" and a "SPECIAL HOUSE."
I posted a few pics of my wood mosaics on another thread recently.
http://johnbridge.com/vbulletin/show...threadid=10891
Old 03-18-2004, 10:35 AM   #10
smee
Tile Artist Chick :-)

Sherri - thanks for the kudos! and visiting my site.

Darla - Look at it this way, you've had some practice on this particular format and the second go will be fantastic. You'll see!

So, after you've torn out, and prep'd the area - if you can get a trowel in that small an area (?) I would suggest a v-notch. then back butter each and every piece. Be sure to be consistent in your back buttering.

What I do is mud a small area because I work slowly to fit each piece. If you're doing one color it's much easier and faster. I wouldn't put wood down - to get a level area. You may find you would still have some sharp points. If you find a high sharp point, you may want to use nippers to take that edge off. Also, with the wood thingy you may have some thinset over flow.
that becomes a problem.

What I do is work a manageable area and as I said run my hand over the surface constantly to find any anomalies. Often it's important to pull a piece or a few pieces to ensure that doesn't happen. As you probably already know it's a laborious process. because you have so much variance in a mosaic, use a small level as you go as well.

I hope I answered all your questions. If not, please let me know, I'd be happy to help.

Good luck
Old 03-18-2004, 08:00 PM   #11
John Bridge
Mudmeister

Send a message via AIM to John Bridge
Nothing artistic here, but Todd's grouting system makes sense. It'll keep the joints full, which is what you're looking for. Grout small areas at one time, though. It is hard going during the washing cycle.

Also, if you look closely at the manufacturered "busted tile" mosaic sheets, you'll notice that most of the folks do relieve the edges after busting. Casa Dolce Casa comes to mind. You won't get cut on those pieces.

Sherri,

I haven't seen a terracotta bisque in several years. You must be holding some oldies.
John Bridge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2004, 08:03 PM   #12
John Bridge
Mudmeister

Send a message via AIM to John Bridge
I think this picture might be in my book in black and white. This is Casa Dolce Casa "Flagstone" busted tile.
Attached Images

John Bridge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2004, 11:51 AM   #13
textucker

Thanks everyone for your info.

Linda and Sherri, both of your work is beautiful!!

John, the picture your sent is just the look I am going for, thanks.
I'm glad I had to do my thresholds over, I had way to much grout showing, and it didn't look as nice as the mosaic in that picture.
I just hope it turns out as nice

I will defiantly send pictures when I'm done.

Thanks again,

Buy John's New Book!   Tile Your World Online Store   Contractors Direct Tile Tool Store   Stonetooling.com   Tile-Assn.com