Ceramic Tile Advice Forums - John Bridge Ceramic Tile Tile Monthly Magazine

Welcome to John Bridge / Tile Your World, the friendliest DIY Forum on the Internet

Advertiser Directory
JohnBridge.com Home
Buy John Bridge's Books   Buy a TYW Shirt

Go Back   Ceramic Tile Advice Forums - John Bridge Ceramic Tile > Tile & Stone Forums > Tile Forum/Advice Board

Sponsors

Old 02-08-2014, 09:58 AM   #1
deeteedee

OH HELP me Please!!

I am having my shower tiled. I asked for a corner seat (one that went all the way to the floor) I came home to see what had been done. Tile is up, spacers are in, no corner seat!! Doesnt this have to be done first?

Also I notice that the soon to be grout lines 3/4 of the way up are slightly off from back wall to shower head wall.

Also shower head wall...tiles are not even at the top Im sure due to uneven ceiling line but shouldnt that have been thought about before determining tile layout?

Because I am not a tile expert, when I the customer say... I would like my big retangular tiles stacked one above the other... If it isnt possible due to shower height, etc.to get an even look ..shouldnt the tile expert say...you would get a more even look doing XYZ??

Please give me your opinions and tell me what I can do/say before the grout goes in.

dee
Old 02-08-2014, 10:02 AM   #2
Richard Tunison
Retired Tile Contractor

Hi Dee and welcome.

We are going to need pictures of your situation. You can use the paperclip icon in the reply box to upload files from your computer. If 2Mb or smaller the forum software will size them correctly.
Old 02-08-2014, 10:24 AM   #3
deeteedee

Shower tile pics

Name:  tile 3 shower.jpg
Views: 548
Size:  25.7 KB

Name:  tile 2 shower.jpg
Views: 543
Size:  26.0 KB

Name:  tile 1 shower.jpg
Views: 551
Size:  25.0 KB

Here are 3 pics I hope they are bright enough. Let me know what you think.
Thanks.
Old 02-08-2014, 11:35 AM   #4
Richard Tunison
Retired Tile Contractor

Well,,,,,,,,, it's not a professional install for sure. Lining up grout lines and doing proper layout are basics. Tell him you are not satisfied with the work and want it repaired or done over.

May I ask what kind of waterproofing system was used?
Old 02-08-2014, 12:43 PM   #5
koihito
No one of consequence.

I am slow to criticize work based on pictures when I don't know what challenges had to be dealt with, but I have to agree, thats just not professional work.

No one of consequence...

www.TellJapan.com
koihito is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2014, 03:24 PM   #6
Kman

To answer your bench question, it can be done after, but I never would. It makes more sense to do it at the beginning.

How it is accomplished depends on your waterproofing system. Is it a conventional system including a grey or red rubber liner with plastic on the wall and cement board, or is there some type of waterproofing on the backer directly behind the tile and on the floor?

If you have any pictures during that phase of construction, it would help us.
Old 02-08-2014, 04:04 PM   #7
deeteedee

Help

Waterproofing was rubber liner and backer board. I know you all dont like to criticize and I totally get that but can you give me suggestions as to what to say to do if you were correcting the problem? Im tempted to just skip the bench since it wasnt done before tile. I dont want water/mold problems etc that could come with that!

Please I appreciate specific details so that I know exactly what to say on Monday morning!!

Thank you all SO much!

Dee
Old 02-08-2014, 04:49 PM   #8
robert august

Just have him make one out of cinder block. No water proofing needed. If he isn't comfortable using cement then it may be time to go back to the drawing board
robert august is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2014, 05:31 PM   #9
Richard Tunison
Retired Tile Contractor

Hi again Dee.

First,,,,, a shower must be waterproof before the first tile is installed. Tile and grout are wear surfaces and for aesthetics.

Backer board is NOT waterproof. A plastic membrane should have been installed over the studs that terminates in the inside of the liner or a surface applied membrane either liquid or in sheet form should have been applied to the surface of the wall boards. Without either of these your shower is not waterproof.

A pre-slope under the rubber liner is also a requirement. This is so the water that gets through the floor can be directed to the liner and flow down to the weep holes in the drain.

If the installer used wall board on top of and inside the curb your liner is now full of holes and a big mistake. The curb and adjacent jambs are the major cause of shower failures.

Were the studs notched to accomodate the bulges from the liner. Take a look and see if your walls swoop out at the bottoms.

Were dam corners used where the liner had to be cut to get over the curb?

Were the weep holes protected so the liner performs as it should?

Please take a hard look at the diagrams I'll put up.

And we will ask again,,,,,,,,,,, to you have any during construction pictures?
Attached Images

Old 02-08-2014, 06:16 PM   #10
deeteedee

Richard thanks and thanks to all for your replies.
Wish I would have talked to you all before
Even starting this project. I would have known
What to ask for and had a checklist. I hired a reputable
Contractor so figured his crews would know
What they were doing. I do not have pictures
During the process because I wasn't here.
I've learned today that I'm probably in for
Some trouble down the road if I don't ask the
Proper questions on Monday. I was told that a
Waterproof barrier was used but I have no proof.
At best right now I think I will skip the bench and just
See if I can get tile lined up properly. They may have
To remove the entire wall. Ugh....stupid me!
Thanks.
Old 02-08-2014, 08:04 PM   #11
deeteedee

One more question....

Should tile floor tile have been put under the wall tile? Here are photos. Should I lock the door and not let them back in? Lol. I just hope it is salvageable..what do you think?
Dee
Attached Images

Old 02-08-2014, 09:56 PM   #12
Kman

There's no problem with putting the shower floor down after the walls. I do it that way every time.

This is not exactly what you were wanting, but if you were to find that the shower is installed properly and all you want is the grout lines to match up, you could opt for a Better Bench as opposed to one built up from the floor. It can be installed after the tile is in. It would cost a little more than a block and cement bench, but you should be able to negotiate that since you wouldn't be getting what you wanted.

Keep in mind that if no matter how the tile looks and no matter how nice of a bench you have, if it's not waterproofed properly, it won't last.

If I were you, I'd start at the shower valve and see what's inside the wall. You should be able to see either: 1) sheet of plastic with a cement board on top of it, or 2)cement board with some type of waterproofing between it and the tile. If you can angle your camera just right and snap a picture of it, I'd like to see what's there.

At this stage, there's really no way to tell if a pre-sloped bed of mortar was put under the liner without tearing some things up. You'll just have to ask. If you can see the curb material or tell us what's there, we can tell you where that's headed.
Old 02-09-2014, 06:28 AM   #13
Richard Tunison
Retired Tile Contractor

The shower floor also has jump joints and sheets squeezed together. The cuts around the drain are unacceptable.

Sorry to be the bearer of more bad news.
Old 02-09-2014, 06:49 AM   #14
deeteedee

Unfortunately Kman, I can't see behind the faucet but I can not feel any plastic behind the tile. Are there any clues in this picture?

I just don't know what to do at this point. I should have done my homework and then double checked to make sure it was being done properly. I think it would be foolish to let them continue if it wasn't done right.. Should I ask to have the shower wall tile torn out..... Or the entire shower?? If it costs me a little more in tile I don't care I just want it done right!

Thoughts?
Attached Images

Old 02-09-2014, 07:01 AM   #15
Richard Tunison
Retired Tile Contractor

I see no evidence of any type of waterproofing and I'm still of the opinion that probably no preslope was installed under the liner.

No waterproofing on the walls and no preslope means a complete redo in my opinion. Show your contractor the schematics provided and have him confirm or deny that all of the steps were done properly.

Buy John's New Book!   Tile Your World Online Store   Contractors Direct Tile Tool Store   Stonetooling.com   Tile-Assn.com