Ceramic Tile Advice Forums - John Bridge Ceramic Tile

Welcome to John Bridge / Tile Your World, the friendliest DIY Forum on the Internet

Advertiser Directory
JohnBridge.com Home
Buy John Bridge's Books   Buy a TYW Shirt

Go Back   Ceramic Tile Advice Forums - John Bridge Ceramic Tile > Tile & Stone Forums > Professionals' Hangout

Sponsors

Old 02-04-2014, 01:25 AM   #1
dhagin
builder, anti-builder, rebuilder -- Moderator

Seeking info on Kerdi shower failures

I'm talkin shower failures where Kerdi was used as the primary waterproofing. Anyone seen or heard of any? Any age, any approved substrate, anything? Thanks.

"the road to hell is paved with osb, mastic, pre-mixed latex 'grout' or 'thinset', "
dhagin is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 02-04-2014, 04:27 AM   #2
Kman

I've done quite a few, maybe 75 or so, probably not as many as other pros here. Got two in my own house. None have failed yet, to my knowledge.
Old 02-04-2014, 06:05 AM   #3
koihito
No one of consequence.

I've never seen a failed one.

No one of consequence...

www.TellJapan.com
koihito is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2014, 06:26 AM   #4
mullet

How many have replaced a shower because the new home owner didn't like the layout or tile and there was kerdi underneath? I am thinking about using Kerdi for my shower project coming up.
Old 02-04-2014, 06:32 AM   #5
Tiger pilot

Kerdi shower failures

What Schluter has done, better than anyone else in our industry, is spend the time and money to provide the best training that proves when you follow their instructions on installing their products you stop all chances of failure.
Is this true of most all other products? Yep, most likely, HOWEVER, no other mfg has invested in a program like Schluter. As a reward installers choose to use Schluter products and made them a true leader in our industry.
Unwavering focus on quality and training has paid off well for everyone!
Cell 404-281-2218
Rauschsteve@comcast.net
Tiger pilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2014, 06:37 AM   #6
Eschbach
Tile Contractor-Virginia

I have never heard of any in my area.I use Schluter everyday and it has treated me well.

Virginia Installer of Schluter Kerdi and Kerdi Board Waterproof Showers

Excellence is no accident
Eschbach is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2014, 07:07 AM   #7
cx
da Home-builder -- Moderator-at-Large

If we were gonna hear about such failures, 'specially from a third party, I would expect it to be right here on this website. Anyone in the industry would likely know just where to go to start bashing that product or just to report factually on a product failure.

We've heard of one where the foam tray was moving and the floor failed, but the shower owner declined to allow Schluter to be present for the demolition to determine just what happened there. And we've heard of the steam shower failure where the steam plumbing was installed next to the Kerdi Board, but that sure wouldn't count as a Schluter or Kerdi failure in my book.

I know of no actual failures. I own only a few and the oldest has seen only about five years of service. All are remodels in houses I built years ago and my customers do know how to contact me.

Y'ALL NEW VISITORS READ THISSY HERE! ......
cx is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2014, 09:00 AM   #8
dhagin

I remember those 2 instances CX, and wouldn't consider them Kerdi failures or even Kerdi Shower failures either. Did a search here and found nothing even pointing to one.

"the road to hell is paved with osb, mastic, pre-mixed latex 'grout' or 'thinset', "
Old 02-04-2014, 10:17 AM   #9
Cain
Cain

I saw one fail, homeowner hired a landscape guy to do her shower, he had no clue what kerdi was, he tried to re use the clamping drain. When she asked for a flood test, she got a new ceiling downstairs.

not kerdi s fault
Certified Tile Installer #362
Serving the metro Atlanta area

Cain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2014, 06:42 PM   #10
dhagin

B
u
m
p

Just seein if anyone else has seen or heard or any failures. Any. Thanks for lookin in.

Old 02-07-2014, 07:33 PM   #11
Higher Standard Tile
Tile and Stone Contractor

Dana, just curious as to why you are asking?

I assume somebody said they fail all the time and you are trying to prove them wrong.

I haven't done a ton of Kerdi showers but have not had any failures. Found a leak after a flood test but corrected it before tiling.

It is is like most of the quality products on the market, if installed correctly it will work, if installed incorrectly it will fail.

Higher Standard Tile & Stone
Maui, Hawaii
CTEF Certified Tile Installer #673

Maui Professional Tile & Stone Installation
Higher Standard Tile is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2014, 07:35 PM   #12
Lump
Tile sales/installation central WI

What I can tell you is IF the kerdi system ever starts to fail I am moving very very far away because there will be many many people after me.

Success is a ladder that cannot be climbed with your hands in your pocket.

NWFA Member
NTCA Proud Member
ICRI Member and certified moisture technician
Lump is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2014, 07:45 PM   #13
Westside1

Just like any system we have seen multiple failures. ALL of them have always been installer related. I have never need a failure of any Schluter product that was directly related to the product failing as opposed to the installation of the product causing the failure.

As others have stated, i'm sure if failures were out there, they'd be documented somewhere on this forum.
Old 02-07-2014, 11:47 PM   #14
Swedes Tile

All failures are usually installer related with any shower!
Swedes Tile is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2014, 12:31 AM   #15
Tool Guy - Kg
Moderator -- Wisconsin Kitchen & Bath Remodeler

I have seen one. Just recently. But it appeared to be consistent with a combination of three errors or deficiencies.
1) The "drain hole" cut through the wood subfloor was quite over-sized compared to the body of the Kerdi drain. Two inches to be exact.
2) The substrate below the foam pan was only diagonal 1x8 solid dimensional boards...no plywood. And
3) One of the centermost 1x8 boards was cracked in half so severely that it was drooping down into the basement at 30 degrees from the horizontal plane of the floor.
This all resulted in excessive deflection of the floor tiles. It was about 5 years old. It wasn't leaking, but a few mosaic tiles had come loose.

Buy John's New Book!   Tile Your World Online Store   Contractors Direct Tile Tool Store   Stonetooling.com   Tile-Assn.com