Ceramic Tile Advice Forums - John Bridge Ceramic Tile

Welcome to John Bridge / Tile Your World, the friendliest DIY Forum on the Internet

Advertiser Directory
JohnBridge.com Home
Buy John Bridge's Books

Go Back   Ceramic Tile Advice Forums - John Bridge Ceramic Tile > Tile & Stone Forums > Professionals' Hangout

Sponsors

Old 03-31-2014, 05:34 AM   #61
k2dogger

Available Yet?

Okay, a few more weeks have passed. Is this product available yet? I'd possibly delay my grouting a bit longer if necessary.
I'm in So Cal.
Old 03-31-2014, 10:07 AM   #62
MAPEI - Technical Service
Company Representative

Yes, the product has been launched and is available to order. You can find a list of distributors here:

http://www.mapei.com/US-EN/where-to-buy.asp

I will mention that this is a new product so the distribution pipeline is just starting to fill up. It will have to be ordered from many locations, but by asking for it you will show the interest in the market.

http://www.mapei.com/US-EN/
MAPEI Product Tech Support Hotline 1-800-992-6273
MAPEI - Technical Service is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2014, 02:27 PM   #63
MJCMendonca

Available in Canada?

Hello, would you know if this product is available in Canada yet? Thank you!
Old 04-02-2014, 03:20 PM   #64
Richard Tunison
Retired Tile Contractor

Punch in your location and call around. If not in stock I'll bet they could get it pretty darn quick.

http://www.mapei.com/CA-EN/where-to-buy.asp
Old 04-02-2014, 08:06 PM   #65
Lump
Tile sales/installation central WI

Field feedback

Finally used 2 of the trial pails of Alabaster.

2 one gallon pails covered 450 sq.ft. Of 1/8" rectified joint of 8"x48" wood look plank.

Was easy to work with.

With rectified edge it was an absolute must to use grout bucket and sponge with handle. In this case we used the new Barwalt system. Sponge needs to be very very dry, only lightly dampened. This method left the joint filled just right. Using a typical grout sponge was not successful for us and this rectified tile.

It appears color was consistent but with the color alabaster it's hard to tell once dry. A darker color will be interesting to see how it drys.

One of the rooms we used this in is extreme exposure to potential staining so time will tell if the grout will clean up.

Team members liked working with the product.

Way too early to give verdict on overall performance.

Success is a ladder that cannot be climbed with your hands in your pocket.

NTCA Proud Member
ICRI certified moisture technician
Lump is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2014, 09:40 PM   #66
Tiger Mountain Tile Inc
tile lackey

Thanks to Dan, I too received a trial bucket. I've been too busy to post anything. I don't have a particular project to try it out on yet but I'm very curious about this stuff. I might just get some sample tile and play around with it.

Attached Images

Old 04-07-2014, 10:55 AM   #67
Company Representative

Mo, the shipments to our regional distribution centers in Canada are rolling out this week and next but to Richard's point, a call to your local MAPEI distributor would go a long way in getting it on their radar to order in for stock.

Brad, thanks for the feedback on using the product, it sounds like you had a positive experience overall. I'm confident about the stain resistance of the product so I look forward to your followup down the road.

Old 04-09-2014, 07:38 AM   #68
Tier1Inc

We are excited for this product here in Toronto, and have had lots of great feedback about it.

We had a small roadshow in our showroom back in November and Mapei presented this to our contractors at our store and man, was it amazing.

I've personally used the TEC, Bostik equivilants, but we all really liked the Flexcolor QC much more.

I've been bugging my Mapei Rep/distributor out here daily to get this product stocked at our location soon!

Flooring Design Construction
1099 Kingston Road Unit 4A
Pickering, Ontario, CANADA
L1V 1B5
T: (905)492-8222
W: www.tier-1.ca
Tier1Inc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2014, 03:39 PM   #69
Company Representative

We will be offering the free bucket offer for another 2 weeks (April 30th, 2014) or until supplies run out. If you've received a bucket and had a chance to mess with it, drop back around and let us know how you made out.

Old 04-16-2014, 12:05 AM   #70
cx
da Home-builder -- Moderator-at-Large

I did make up a test board and test the bucket the folks at Mapei sent me. I always ask for their black color whenever trying any of these new types of grout on accounta that's about as bad as it's ever gonna get, eh? And because in my experience if they can actually make black they can make any color you want.

In the old days with cementitious grout you never really got black, but you always got one hellofa mess. The color would cure out as some version of charcoal or really dark gray, but not black. Your hands, on the other hand, would cure out very black indeed and might stay that way for a couple days.

The new single component products, though, don't have either problem and this one is no exception. The color in the photo doesn't do it justice. It's black. And it doesn't stain anything, best I can tell, including body parts.

Comes in a very easy to open bucket with a long pull strip around the top and a flip-up lid. Inside they've even included a sponge in a plastic wrapper. Not sure why that is, but maybe to ensure that you start out with the cleaning sponge they intend for you to use. The material in the bucket is covered with a thin plastic sheet to help the long term preservation of the content, I presume.

Name:  Flexcolor CQ Bucket.jpg
Views: 2557
Size:  62.9 KB

My test board, as is my custom, is a grouping of different tile types selected from among the dust covered piles at the back of various storage areas. I use small tiles when available so's to have lotsa grout joints. And I try to vary the joint sizes from pretty small to larger than I can imagine ever using aside from with Saltillo tile.

My first impression of the material was that it reminded me very much of the first urethane grouts I tried. Same sort of feel. Very easy to apply and force into the joints, large or small. I set the test board vertically and detected no tendency to sag even in the largest joints, which were over the half-inch upper end of the manufacturer's recommendations.

Name:  Flexcolor CQ.jpg
Views: 3079
Size:  49.4 KB

Cleaning was not difficult (but I am now getting more accustomed to these new single component products) and was about what I'd expect of a black grout, which is to say it was a great PITA.

The porcelain mosaic tiles in the lower left of the test board are nasty to grout. I don't know what they are, but I've used them for some years on my grout test boards and I really dislike them. But they make for a good test. The fact that I got the surface relatively clean while leaving grout in the joints is a good sign. I've tried grouts where that simply was not possible. I'll miss those tiles now that I've run out of'em. Kinda like you miss your cast when they take it off, eh?

I didn't really try to clean the samples to customer presentation condition, just fooled around with them 'till I was satisfied I knew what the stuff would do. You can see on the narrow row and a half of tumbled marble why Mapei tells you specifically not to use the product on that type of tile "if grout is not wanted to fill the pits of the tile." You ain't gonna wash it out of the surface pits and keep grout in the joints. I know you'll say that's generally true of any grout, but do pay special attention to their caution.

I did use grout release on those travertine tiles and that did seem to prevent any haze problem on the tile surface. I used grout release on one row of the problem tiles described earlier, too, and it definitely appeared to do absolutely nothing at all. Didn't make it any worse, though.

The manufacturer requires three days cure time before wet area use, which seems to be consistent with the current state of the industry on these single component products. Still a whole lot better than the seven day requirement for the early urethane products.

Along with the no-mixing advantage, it also can be re-applied after 24 hours and it's advertised to bond quite well to itself. I did not test that claim, but maybe I'll remember to do that before I'm gone from this test board for an extended period.

After a couple weeks curing in randomly selected conditions (but mostly in conditioned space) I can tell you the stuff is HARD. You might mistake it for cementitious grout except for the color consistency and the very uniform fine-grained sand finish. Nice looking stuff.

Can't speak to pricing on accounta I've never bought any.

If you've used similar products you'll not see much of a learning curve here at all. If you've used only cementitious grouts, you'll need to get your head in a different place before you open the bucket. Having not done a real installation with the product, I'm sure there are some finer points I'm likely missing, but over all it seems to be pretty workable.

I suspect it won't be too many years before young helpers will be heard to axe, "Hey, Boss, what's thissy here cee-men-titious grout stuff I read about inna old ANSI booK?"

Y'ALL NEW VISITORS READ THIS HERE!

Last edited by cx; 04-16-2014 at 01:03 AM. Reason: Typo
cx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2014, 06:41 AM   #71
tilemanct
Tile & Stone

Got to do my shower job with the new grout. Now I did have a restless night before due to my nightmare experience with urethane grouts. I was surprised to open the pail and see a sponge. That was a nice bonus. It mixed up well and I started with the worse app I can think of, the ceiling. It applied nicely with a few clumps landing on my shoulders untill I got the hang of it. You have to get on this stuff right away. Dont let it get ahead of you. I was working 10 -15 sq.ft areas. The color consistency was amazing, and low spots could be refilled as you went along. Walls were a piece of cake. No drooping. The mosaic glass and stone boarder grouted up great. One key is have many wash buckets ready as clean water is a must (as with any grout). The one thing I noticed was no "pinholes" after a 1/2 hour or so. With some grouts you have to play the waiting game to see if they pop up. I couldnt believe there was no residue left behind. The next day the color consistency was flawless and the only residue was on the glass tile pieces in the mosaic which came off with just a wash of soap and water. There was also some quartz remnants on the face of the field tiles which came off with a dry white nylon scrubbing pad. I will now wait like the others here to get feedback on the staining issues associated with heavy shower use. Hopefully there are none. This could be a big winner for Mapei. My next test will be a black grout job. I just looked a a black slate shower where the grout started as black, but is now gray and white. Its a rip out.

CTEF Certified Installer
I lost my hero on 5-21-16 You will be missed. Semper Fi
tilemanct is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2014, 10:55 PM   #72
Sloblond

Hi Dan,
It looks like I'm a little late to the free trial party for this product... Any chance you still have some available that I can have my installer try out for me? We have about 2,200 sft to be laid in a couple of months and I'd like him to try this out ahead of time. If so let me know, thanks!!!
Old 05-05-2014, 09:43 AM   #73
Company Representative

Because we had considerable interest at Coverings and I've had a few requests, I will keep this offer open for another week. We have 8 buckets left, get them before they're gone!

Send me your name, shipping address, and email address and I'll get them heading your way.

If you requested a bucket and haven't seen it yet, drop me a reminder and I'll make sure you get priority.

Thanks for the great feedback, keep it coming!

Old 05-06-2014, 03:30 PM   #74
fredwmoser@hotmail.com

I'm interested in a Mapei Flexcolor CQ sample and is it possible to get in French Vanilla?

Fred Moser
Moser Construction
2807 Danny Road
Florence, SC 29501
Phone: 843-250-1086
Old 05-06-2014, 04:56 PM   #75
John Bridge
Mudmeister

Send a message via AIM to John Bridge
Welcome aboard, Fred. Glad to see ya.
John Bridge is offline   Reply With Quote

Stonetooling.com   Tile-Assn.com   National Gypsum Permabase